Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 2: Carlton vs. Sydney: Post Game Passion (Read 62170 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 2: Carlton vs. Sydney: Post Game Passion

Reply #105
Gibbs has not yet "flim-flammed" BB. In fact it's early days and I have no doubt that BB will judge Gibbs honestly on the contribution he makes this year. If he is judged as not up to the required standard then I have no doubts that SOS will be looking for a deal, along with any others who are judged similarly. This season is a real watershed AFAIC.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #106
I listened to coverage of the second half on ABC radio and the commentators made the point that our ball movement from the midfield into the forward 50 was very poor.

Any comments?

No forward line structure, no leads, no marking options (where & wtf Casboult was doing for the 2nd & 3rd quarters is beyond me) - it's an absolute mess down there, midfield literally have no clue what to do when going forward....Simmo's ridiculous shot from about 60m out in the 3rd, into the waiting arms of one of 2 Swans players he could've kicked it to, was the perfect example. We're the easiest team to defend against bar none.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #107
Murph isn't really designed to be captain, nor is he designed to be an inside mid. His best year was 2011, when he played outside receiver. This allows the team to take full advantage of his skills, and minimizes any adverse impacts caused by his physical limitations.

Played at least half yesterday on the wing.

Reply #108
This isn't a forward line issue yet apart from how easily the Swans players could sweep up and get out of our forward line.

Swans had 26 more forward entries and I'll hazard a guess that the ball came in a lot easier and with a lot more one on one contests. Buddy and Tippet had a field day.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #110
Gibbs has not yet "flim-flammed" BB. In fact it's early days and I have no doubt that BB will judge Gibbs honestly on the contribution he makes this year. If he is judged as not up to the required standard then I have no doubts that SOS will be looking for a deal, along with any others who are judged similarly. This season is a real watershed AFAIC.

You're right cookie. I shouldn't have included Bolton. I was trying to "start a conversation", and move towards a more thorough understanding of Gibbs, away from the much discussed 'softness" angle.

Reply #111
You're right cookie. I shouldn't have included Bolton. I was trying to "start a conversation", and move towards a more thorough understanding of Gibbs, away from the much discussed 'softness" angle.

No worries Paul. I reckon BB is a ruthless little pr1ck under that pleasant smiling exterior and will not want to hold on to players who he doesn't think will fit into his team mould for longer than he has to. He is ably backed up by the equally ruthless SOS who will happily find alternative employment for such players. The places of both Gibbs and Murph in our future are both very interesting questions and as I've already posted, this year is a watershed IMO.

Reply #112
No worries Paul. I reckon BB is a ruthless little pr1ck under that pleasant smiling exterior and will not want to hold on to players who he doesn't think will fit into his team mould for longer than he has to. He is ably backed up by the equally ruthless SOS who will happily find alternative employment for such players. The places of both Gibbs and Murph in our future are both very interesting questions and as I've already posted, this year is a watershed IMO.

I think Murph is safe. Not sure about Bryce.

Reply #114
Murphy and Gibbs are still very good, they're just not the elite players we expected them to become and we have no elite players for them to compliment. Cripps looks set to become one but we still need a couple more.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #115
Murphy and Gibbs are still very good, they're just not the elite players we expected them to become and we have no elite players for them to compliment. Cripps looks set to become one but we still need a couple more.

Totally agree - a couple with some real steel in them. We may have to trade hard to get them and be prepared to let some just "very good" players go in return.

Reply #116
Cripps was gang tackled by 2 or 3 Swans at every ball up, ................................................

On this point - can we implement something like Geelong during their heyday a few years back with Ablett ? Big bodied players like Ling putting on blocks, tags, and shepherds for Ablett to do his thing ? Can we have (for example) White and maybe Krooz or others doing this ?

Reply #117

Gibbs has bucketloads of talent but is soft as butter.. Murphy just doesn't have the strength or physicality to be a force in a struggling line up. Both give it up way too easily for senior blokes that the whole team revolves around. They are the problem, make no mistake.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #118
On this point - can we implement something like Geelong during their heyday a few years back with Ablett ? Big bodied players like Ling putting on blocks, tags, and shepherds for Ablett to do his thing ? Can we have (for example) White and maybe Krooz or others doing this ?
I don't think that's a great idea Paul. Of course there should be blocking etc but we can't afford a one man midfield.

There's no future in it.

WE need multiple threats around the stoppage so they don't just go after Cripps.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #119
I don't think that's a great idea Paul. Of course there should be blocking etc but we can't afford a one man midfield.

There's no future in it.

WE need multiple threats around the stoppage so they don't just go after Cripps.

Fair enough.