Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 2: Carlton vs. Sydney: Post Game Passion (Read 61662 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 2: Carlton vs. Sydney: Post Game Passion

Reply #165
Gibbs has played under Pagan, Ratten, Malthouse, Barker and now Bolton and to the best of my recollection has never been dropped.
So unless all of those coaches, two of whom were multiple Premiership coaches, are willing to tolerate uncommitted players I think that the perception around Gibbs doesn't reflect the reality.

What would they know B4L?

Not only has Gibbs never been dropped but each of those coaches, except perhaps Barker, have singled Gibbs out for high praise.  I'm not sure what it is about Gibbs that raises the ire of some supporters but I suspect that I may have stumbled across it during the Swans NAB game.  A supporter seated not far from me was critical of Gibbs throughout the game and, after one passage of play that we stuffed up, launched into a tirade of abuse about how weak Gibbs was; he was actually on the interchange bench at the time  ::)

Supporters see what they want to see, coaches see what they are paid to see.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #166
I'm not sure what it is about Gibbs that raises the ire of some supporters but I suspect that I may have stumbled across it during the Swans NAB game.  A supporter seated not far from me was critical of Gibbs throughout the game and, after one passage of play that we stuffed up, launched into a tirade of abuse about how weak Gibbs was; he was actually on the interchange bench at the time  ::)

;D ;D ;D
Made my night DJ. I think every team has these sort of supporters.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #167

Not only has Gibbs never been dropped but each of those coaches, except perhaps Barker, have singled Gibbs out for high praise.  I'm not sure what it is about Gibbs that raises the ire of some supporters but I suspect that I may have stumbled across it during the Swans NAB game.  A supporter seated not far from me was critical of Gibbs throughout the game and, after one passage of play that we stuffed up, launched into a tirade of abuse about how weak Gibbs was; he was actually on the interchange bench at the time  ::)

Anyone who watches at the ground and isn't stuck ball watching will see Gibbs sorting out his opponent 9 out of 10 times well before the ball or the TV cameras arrive, but on TV it looks like another soft uncontested possession! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #168
As far as 10 goal losses go, there were a few good things. Weitering showed that he will, barring injury play most games this year. Amazing poise and ability for such a young fellow.

Curnow's debut showed plenty of promise. He worked hard and was rewarded with his first goal. He too has a bright future. I hope for his sake he can put in a few games, then go back and work hard in the seconds without too many expectations. We load up a lot of hope on very young players sometimes.

Other good efforts were had from kerridge, cripps, Boekhorst. Thomas, as others had mentioned had his best game in blue. That was a fine mark in front of franklin.

It was good to see the team keep working, despite being thumped. They also kept taking a few risks by seeking to centre the ball. We also played franklin well, with defenders swapping as franklin moved up and down the ground.

I dont get all the potting of Murphy and Gibbs. Both have been stalwarts in a shambles of a club for a long time and this takes its toll. Both were thrown in the deep end in their first season as teenagers and have had to battle in a poor environment replete with poor standards and low expectations. Neither have enjoyed the benefits of good leadership, including Judd, whose performance as captain escaped scrutiny relative to the criticism heaped upon others. They both have their limitations, but most of all have struggled with the burden that a number 1 pick creates. Neither of them had good games, but they are the best we have for now and will bounce back.

Having a style of play highly dependent upon fast accurate ball movement is going to challenge many players, and mistakes are going to happen. Sides like sydney are going to capitalise as they did. They looked awfully strong in the middle, and once they got it forward scored heavily.

And touhy proved the old theory that a feature in the paper before the game leads to a bad performance.

Reply #169
;D ;D ;D
Made my night DJ. I think every team has these sort of supporters.

I used to sit near a bloke at the G who had one of those really grating voices and he would spend the entire game paying out on every Carlton player.  One of the rough looking blokes in front of me finally had enough and gave him an earful along the lines, "There are all trying their hardest and all you can do is criticise.  Shut the f**k up!"  He walked out and I never saw him again :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #170
I can't be bothered reading through 12 pages, can someone give me the readers digest version of the overall opinion of Daisys game?

Reply #171
I can't be bothered reading through 12 pages, can someone give me the readers digest version of the overall opinion of Daisys game?

Worked incredibly hard, laid tackles and got to plenty of contests. Our best player on the day and finished with an excellent mark in front of franklin. Probably lacks a little match condition, but barring  injury will be a good asset for the club this season.

Reply #172
Worked incredibly hard, laid tackles and got to plenty of contests. Our best player on the day and finished with an excellent mark in front of franklin. Probably lacks a little match condition, but barring  injury will be a good asset for the club this season.

Thats the average persons opinion not just your own?
Cool.
Thanks

Reply #173
A 10 goal loss is pretty much where we sit at the moment, anyone who doesn't have Sydney in their top 4 is kidding themselves, they have every base covered. They have addressed their speed and youth issues while keeping a bloody good core together.

Sydney would consider themselves a chance this year, and would have studied Hawthorn and their movement of the ball trying to come up with a way to combat it, seeing we are tying to adopt the Hawthorn style of play we played right into their hands, what better way to practise that to come up against a "light version" of the style you planning to stop, and stop us they did.

There was no multiple runners working the ball from defence as options were covered. Switching the play was very hard and options inside were covered or missed due to pressure (perceived or real).

I posted before the start of the season we are a real chance to go 0-8 or 1-7 for the first couple of months, any thing above that was is a win and I stand by those comments. While I was barracking and screaming, in the light of the next day I saw things to get excited about. Weitering again looked composed, Curnow did some nice things, he needs game time to get used to the speed and physicality of the game. Cripps while having a quite game was still effective in patches and Docherty seems to be ready for a break out game, I see a confident man, where seasons past he looked like a rabbit in the headlights.

I look forward to the game this weekend, while I see us 0-8, I think we are a real chance against a team that hasn't played against the Hawthorn style this season.

Reply #174
I don't think that anyone has mentioned that Cripps got a corky early in the game and had limited mobility.

Reply #175
Thats the average persons opinion not just your own?
Cool.
Thanks

My opinion. Thomas cops a lot for his profile and his contract. But stripping all that out he played very well in a losing side. The mark in the last was a real highlight.

Reply #176

From Wikipedia ...

Gibbs was named in Carlton's leadership group for the 2007 AFL season without having played a single AFL match, which is the first time in history this has happened.
He made his debut in round one against Richmond and kicked a goal with his first kick while becoming the 1100th player to play for Carlton. 17 disposals at 100 percent efficiency and a great shut-down role on Brownlow Medallist Jason Akermanis in Round 10 earned Gibbs his nomination for the NAB Rising Star award.
Gibbs played every game of the 2007 season and kicked five goals. Most of his development and experience has been in the backline where he has played as a half back flanker.
In 2008, new coach Brett Ratten reduced the size of the leadership group, and Gibbs was excluded from the new group.

I hate the whole concept of Leadership groups so I treat his selection (although, in hindsight, it was pretty ridiculous and indicative of how little frickin' clue the Club had back then) and subsequent de-selection with a grain of salt.  When I expressed my frustration with Gibbs on this forum a few years back someone responded (might have been Sheik) saying that Gibbs is Gibbs - what you see is what you get and it ain't gonna change. This produced a sense of calm resignation in me such that I no longer smash remote controls.

Bryce is the perfect embodiment of a footballer representing the 7 stages of grief:

1. Shock or disbelief.  "Yes! We got him! No. 1!  And he's in the Leadership Group already?!?"
2. Denial. "It's early days yet. He's gonna be fine."
3. Bargaining. "A little more time down back will turn him into the perfect all-round footballer".
4. Guilt. "Why did we waste a no. 1 pick on this guy?"
5. Anger. "We wasted a No. 1 pick on THIS guy?"
6. Depression. "Ten years. Four no. 1 draft picks. Another wooden spoon."
7. Acceptance. "Gibbs is Gibbs. What you see is what you get."

I can see a few of you stragglers need to get a hurry-on and join us Enlightened Ones at Stage 7.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #177
My opinion. Thomas cops a lot for his profile and his contract. But stripping all that out he played very well in a losing side. The mark in the last was a real highlight.

Mine too.
He took a while to adjust but then really looked to compete consistently. The use of his body and preparedness to take a risk impressed me. Might be premature, but he looked injury free and fit for this stage of the fixture. His tenacity can only inspire his teammates.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #178
From Wikipedia ...

Gibbs was named in Carlton's leadership group for the 2007 AFL season without having played a single AFL match, which is the first time in history this has happened.
He made his debut in round one against Richmond and kicked a goal with his first kick while becoming the 1100th player to play for Carlton. 17 disposals at 100 percent efficiency and a great shut-down role on Brownlow Medallist Jason Akermanis in Round 10 earned Gibbs his nomination for the NAB Rising Star award.
Gibbs played every game of the 2007 season and kicked five goals. Most of his development and experience has been in the backline where he has played as a half back flanker.
In 2008, new coach Brett Ratten reduced the size of the leadership group, and Gibbs was excluded from the new group.

I hate the whole concept of Leadership groups so I treat his selection (although, in hindsight, it was pretty ridiculous and indicative of how little frickin' clue the Club had back then) and subsequent de-selection with a grain of salt.  When I expressed my frustration with Gibbs on this forum a few years back someone responded (might have been Sheik) saying that Gibbs is Gibbs - what you see is what you get and it ain't gonna change. This produced a sense of calm resignation in me such that I no longer smash remote controls.

Bryce is the perfect embodiment of a footballer representing the 7 stages of grief:

1. Shock or disbelief.  "Yes! We got him! No. 1!  And he's in the Leadership Group already?!?"
2. Denial. "It's early days yet. He's gonna be fine."
3. Bargaining. "A little more time down back will turn him into the perfect all-round footballer".
4. Guilt. "Why did we waste a no. 1 pick on this guy?"
5. Anger. "We wasted a No. 1 pick on THIS guy?"
6. Depression. "Ten years. Four no. 1 draft picks. Another wooden spoon."
7. Acceptance. "Gibbs is Gibbs. What you see is what you get."

I can see a few of you stragglers need to get a hurry-on and join us Enlightened Ones at Stage 7.
Gold
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #179
The problem with Gibbs this week is that there was no Goodes to run with/tag, which has done for several seasons.  As a result he had no idea what to do.