Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 2: Carlton vs. Sydney: Post Game Passion (Read 62165 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 2: Carlton vs. Sydney: Post Game Passion

Reply #210
I actually think our problem is that we do not have dominant key position players. We have Jamison down back who is competitive but is past his best and Casboult up forward who is problematic. Our key position players may beat their opponents, or reduce their effect on the game, but they do not dominate the games. Weitering Curnow, Plowman, McKay, Silvagni, Glass-McClasken could all be part of the future solution to this issue. You will be surprised how good our running players will be come if we developed a good spine.

I dont necessarily agree with this entire post but this is a key issue for our club. I am wary because I remember seeing a first year Murphy getting the poo smashed out of him until Copeland flung him and busted his shoulder up.

Murphy got up and tried to tackle him, causing a throw in while out numbered,i believe, before limping off - his season over. I thought  this kid will be up there with our best leaders, which hasnt quite panned out.

So while it's exciting seeing these kids we have to remember that there is a long way to go and their leadership qualities need to be nurtured as much as their footy skills.

Reply #211
@LP

Funny!

I was invited to a Hawthorn game last year by someone who presents himself to me as one of their ardent supporters. About halfway through the first quarter he leaned over and asked me who the Hawks #15 was! I was gobsmacked.

We were not actually at the ground, that would have been seriously embarrassing, we were watching on a big screen. I don't get into the exclusive zones at The G that this bloke would normally sit in! ;)

I wonder if eyesight, or significant lack of it, is a major contributing factor.

But when you claim you are a Dawks supporter and ask about Hodge by jumper number that is seriously questionable! Did you tell him it was the "Lean Cuisine" guy! :D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #212
we need quick players that can run break the lines carry the ball ,we have to many same paced players in the team.

Reply #213
we need quick players that can run break the lines carry the ball ,we have to many same paced players in the team.

Have I heard this before? :D

Like Yarran and Garlett! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #214
We were not actually at the ground, that would have been seriously embarrassing, we were watching on a big screen. I don't get into the exclusive zones at The G that this bloke would normally sit in! ;)

I wonder if eyesight, or significant lack of it, is a major contributing factor.

But when you claim you are a Dawks supporter and ask about Hodge by jumper number that is seriously questionable! Did you tell him it was the "Lean Cuisine" guy! :D

They need to make a movie for that No.15 guy and call it Australian Sniper! :P
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #215
As far as 10 goal losses go, there were a few good things. Weitering showed that he will, barring injury play most games this year. Amazing poise and ability for such a young fellow.

Yes, been fantastic. Why do I have a strong sense we won't be using the same excuses for him that you have mentioned below. Maybe it has something to do a sense of entitlement that I perceive has accompanied Murph and Gibbs from day one.

Curnow's debut showed plenty of promise. He worked hard and was rewarded with his first goal. He too has a bright future. I hope for his sake he can put in a few games, then go back and work hard in the seconds without too many expectations. We load up a lot of hope on very young players sometimes.

Other good efforts were had from kerridge, cripps, Boekhorst. Thomas, as others had mentioned had his best game in blue. That was a fine mark in front of franklin.

It was good to see the team keep working, despite being thumped. They also kept taking a few risks by seeking to centre the ball. We also played franklin well, with defenders swapping as franklin moved up and down the ground.

I dont get all the potting of Murphy and Gibbs. Both have been stalwarts in a shambles of a club for a long time and this takes its toll. Both were thrown in the deep end in their first season as teenagers and have had to battle in a poor environment replete with poor standards and low expectations. Neither have enjoyed the benefits of good leadership, including Judd, whose performance as captain escaped scrutiny relative to the criticism heaped upon others. They both have their limitations, but most of all have struggled with the burden that a number 1 pick creates. Neither of them had good games, but they are the best we have for now and will bounce back.

Why did they not have a good game?  That's the question we're all sick of asking. Why?  They are seasoned veterans.  James Sicily was playing his 5th game on Sunday and kicked 4 telling goals.  When was the last time we had anyone who kicked 4 thumping goals on the run from on or near 50?  ... 3 goals?  ... 2 goals?  Where do Hawthorn find these players?  It's unbelievable. I'm not having a go at you Vivian, not at all. I really enjoy your posts.  Apparently, when BB was explaining some routine match day ploys over the summer, some senior players were taken aback at the sheer novelty and audacity of the ideas. They'd never been exposed to anything like it before.  Good Lord.  We have been so lost in the wilderness for so long it's not funny.

Having a style of play highly dependent upon fast accurate ball movement is going to challenge many players, and mistakes are going to happen. Sides like sydney are going to capitalise as they did. They looked awfully strong in the middle, and once they got it forward scored heavily.

And touhy proved the old theory that a feature in the paper before the game leads to a bad performance.

Another question is, do we have the right team to exploit a style of play dependent upon fast accurate ball movement?  We are, and have been for 10 years, the worst kicking side in the league.  The irony is that the game is called football.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #216

Another question is, do we have the right team to exploit a style of play dependent upon fast accurate ball movement?  We are, and have been for 10 years, the worst kicking side in the league.  The irony is that the game is called football.
;)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #217
@ Carrots

Cant argue with any of your last few posts re Murphy and Gibbs as they are spot on.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #218
I dont get all the potting of Murphy and Gibbs. Both have been stalwarts in a shambles of a club for a long time and this takes its toll. Both were thrown in the deep end in their first season as teenagers and have had to battle in a poor environment replete with poor standards and low expectations. Neither have enjoyed the benefits of good leadership, including Judd, whose performance as captain escaped scrutiny relative to the criticism heaped upon others. They both have their limitations, but most of all have struggled with the burden that a number 1 pick creates. Neither of them had good games, but they are the best we have for now and will bounce back.

Are you saying Judd was a poor leader and that has contributed to Murphy and Gibbs lack of effort?
Really? I would have thought they looked happy to let Judd do most of the grunt work. Let's be honest, neither are Sam Mitchell types and never will be, the problem is nor are they that good on the outside.
Picking and choosing when they attack the footy is their first option, not the hawthorn or Sydney like attack on the footy.
If they had elite skills under pressure, or had blistering speed or kicked 3 or 4 goals every now and then, well great. But..... we just don't get value for money.
I really don't care what number they were drafted, it's what other players in the comp do on much smaller contracts that bothers me.
Stop making excuses for them, if they don't provide value move them on.

Reply #219
Are you saying Judd was a poor leader and that has contributed to Murphy and Gibbs lack of effort?
Really? I would have thought they looked happy to let Judd do most of the grunt work. Let's be honest, neither are Sam Mitchell types and never will be, the problem is nor are they that good on the outside.
Picking and choosing when they attack the footy is their first option, not the hawthorn or Sydney like attack on the footy.
If they had elite skills under pressure, or had blistering speed or kicked 3 or 4 goals every now and then, well great. But..... we just don't get value for money.
I really don't care what number they were drafted, it's what other players in the comp do on much smaller contracts that bothers me.

yep. Succinctly put JH.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #220

In a nutshell. They are not up to being the best players at any club yet they are paid to be our best. I do not think either Gibbs or Murphy stopped us from getting beaten by more on the weekend so what are they doing out there? Move them on, get more early picks, it will most probably not affect our performance anyway.

I understand I've been critical of Murph over the years so many of you would be rolling your eyes etc but I've always said, I call it how I see it. I have backed Gibbs in throughout his whole career (just go to his trade thread I was the only one sticking up for him) but as another poster put, four coaches later, he is weaker than ever. Must trade for perhaps Adelaide's or Port's first rounder.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #221
In a nutshell. They are not up to being the best players at any club yet they are paid to be our best. I do not think either Gibbs or Murphy stopped us from getting beaten by more on the weekend so what are they doing out there? Move them on, get more early picks, it will most probably not affect our performance anyway.

I understand I've been critical of Murph over the years so many of you would be rolling your eyes etc but I've always said, I call it how I see it. I have backed Gibbs in throughout his whole career (just go to his trade thread I was the only one sticking up for him) but as another poster put, four coaches later, he is weaker than ever. Must trade for perhaps Adelaide's or Port's first rounder.
If you were the recruiting manager at the crows or port would you trade your first round pick for Gibbs on current form? They've both already got good midfield depth who are all currently playing better.
Kerridge couldn't even get a proper run at the Crows - what value would Gibbs be to them?

Reply #222
If you were the recruiting manager at the crows or port would you trade your first round pick for Gibbs on current form? They've both already got good midfield depth who are all currently playing better.
Kerridge couldn't even get a proper run at the Crows - what value would Gibbs be to them?

I'm just hoping one of them is dumb enough to give away a late first rounder, he could provide them with polish, or they may at least think that. You have to ask yourself if he is as good as many on here say, surely he's worth say pick #12?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #223
I'm just hoping one of them is dumb enough to give away a late first rounder, he could provide them with polish, or they may at least think that. You have to ask yourself if he is as good as many on here say, surely he's worth say pick #12?

Gibbs is a skilled player who would no doubt thrive in a team stronger than ours where the need to do a lot of grunt work would be a lot lower for him. He could emerge as cream on the cake for such a team. I'm sure we could get a good deal for him if we wanted to.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #224

Only Murphy and Gibbs can contribute to the effort they make, like any player.  My point is that Judd was a brilliant footballer, one of the best I have seen, but he often played footy a bit like a cricketer  - perhaps more as an individual in a team game.  This is no slight on Judd at all - it is who he is, and given his extraordinary ability, one could put him in any side and he would be a class apart.  But he was just one player, no matter how talented and no matter how good, this cannot make up for a huge deficit in the quality of the team and organisation as a whole.

Carlton have suffered from, to paraphrase the coach, a lack of leadership density.  Murphy and Gibbs joined an organization as 18-19 year olds that was utterly lacking leadership and a culture of performance and continuous improvement.  Judd couldn't change much of this, and he did alot of heavy lifting, especially during Ratten's time as coach.

My view is not attempting to make excuses for players, rather understand how the dynamics of a team may have affected players over the years, especially in the context of impacting young inexperienced men just out of school. 

Nevertheless, both Murphy and Gibbs are good footballers, sometimes great.  They are what they are and I hope the club can get the best out of them.  Moreover, the team as a whole, if it lifts just a little as a whole will make more of a difference than either Gibbs and Murphy playing the kind of 35 possession 3 goal 8 tackle games that we wish they were capable of.