Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 2: Carlton vs. Sydney: Post Game Passion (Read 62154 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 2: Carlton vs. Sydney: Post Game Passion

Reply #255
The role you'd want Gibbs playing would be Brad Pearce type role.
Lead and mark.

A foil for our big key forwards....oops I forgot :(

Reply #256
The role you'd want Gibbs playing would be Brad Pearce type role.
Lead and mark.

A foil for our big key forwards....oops I forgot :(

Doesn't have the explosive speed of a Pearce to put a space on his opponent so the footsteps will still be a factor.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #257
Doesn't have the explosive speed of a Pearce to put a space on his opponent so the footsteps will still be a factor.

That's true...but he does have the ability to lose a player.

Of course that may not be the case with close checking defenders...and you sometimes wonder whether he gets that freedom in the mid-field because other sides don't feel he hurts them enough to man up on him.

Reply #258
That's true...but he does have the ability to lose a player.

Of course that may not be the case with close checking defenders...and you sometimes wonder whether he gets that freedom in the mid-field because other sides don't feel he hurts them enough to man up on him.

That was Lance's strength but he was very strong overhead and had some courage.

Re the midfield I agree, if Gibbs was that damaging he would wear a tag.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #259
McLean was pretty good at getting space inside F50, pace had nothing to do with it, smarts were far more important!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #260
oops!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #261
McLean was pretty good at getting space inside F50, pace had nothing to do with it, smarts were far more important!

Meh....not the extent that you'd consider him a threat. As I posted earlier, a player of the ilk of Lance Whitnall could get away with it, not many others could.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #262
Meh....not the extent that you'd consider him a threat. As I posted earlier, a player of the ilk of Lance Whitnall could get away with it, not many others could.
Gotta agree with LP on this one, McLean seriously worked on his deficiency (ie lack of speed) and got himself supremely fit. His footy smarts did the rest for him and were amongst the best IMO. When watching games live, I often found myself saying "how did he get there?" about Dirty, much like I used to with Lance.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #263
Gotta agree with LP on this one, McLean seriously worked on his deficiency (ie lack of speed) and got himself supremely fit. His footy smarts did the rest for him and were amongst the best IMO. When watching games live, I often found myself saying "how did he get there?" about Dirty, much like I used to with Lance.

Totally agree. When a bloke hasn't the leg speed he really needs other tricks and nothing beats superior fitness and reading of the game, and Brock eventually got the fitness and was always good at reading the game.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #264
I'm afraid I was not a great fan of Brock. Yes he had the footy smarts at times and occasionally did good things, but the number of times I saw him puffing away bravely 10 meters behind his man who was busily tearing us a new one were too many IMO.

Having said that I'll agree he was poorly treated in the end.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #265
Totally agree. When a bloke hasn't the leg speed he really needs other tricks and nothing beats superior fitness and reading of the game, and Brock eventually got the fitness and was always good at reading the game.

I found Brock's biggest problem was our boys club mentality refusing to make use of him.

I don't know how many times I saw Brock on the fat side of the ground 20m clear of opposition heading through half forward when our Midfield/HBF Nutters kicked to a solo Betts or solo Garlett battling a 2 on 1 in the pocket. We took the 10% chance of scoring option and ignored the 30% chance of scoring option almost every time!

But I suppose that is how I developed my theory that we are the worst ball users in the competition, and it has been happening since the days of Pagan and it hasn't changed yet! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #266
I found Brock's biggest problem was our boys club mentality refusing to make use of him.

I don't know how many times I saw Brock on the fat side of the ground 20m clear of opposition heading through half forward when our Midfield/HBF Nutters kicked to a solo Betts or solo Garlett battling a 2 on 1 in the pocket. We took the 10% chance of scoring option and ignored the 30% chance of scoring option almost every time!

But I suppose that is how I developed my theory that we are the worst ball users in the competition, and it has been happening since the days of Pagan and it hasn't changed yet! :o
Fair point that about the bad ball users. Its a strange one really, we seem to have always had a majority of ball butchers on the list during every regime (for the want of a better term) with a sprinkling of those that were good. And here's where it gets weird, during the Pagan era, Murphy, Gibbs were starting out, Simmo as well and they seemed to use the ball well and you thought "there's light at the end of the tunnel, they will be elite with ball in hand eventually. We will weed out the crap and they will lead the charge. Murph, Gibbs and Simmon were around in the Ratten era, the MM era and now the BB and they haven't become elite (in the true sense). Murph especially can be a shocker. Simmo is getting worse by the week. So after all these years, its still our achilles heal whether it be around the ground, or in front of goal. Its amazing how well other teams have covered or masked their structural deficiencies with good to excellent disposal.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #267
Murphy's kicking has always been just average unless he's in acres of space, likewise Gibbs but that goes for pretty much every other footballer other than Jason Tutt.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #268
Murphy's kicking has always been just average unless he's in acres of space, likewise Gibbs but that goes for pretty much every other footballer other than Jason Tutt.
In 2011, the AFL Coaches voted him the best player in the game, he looked like he was going to explode and his disposal was bloody good. Between form and injury, he has gone backwards since. Perhaps at 24 years of age, he was at the peak of his powers.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #269
In 2011, the AFL Coaches voted him the best player in the game, he looked like he was going to explode and his disposal was bloody good. Between form and injury, he has gone backwards since. Perhaps at 24 years of age, he was at the peak of his powers.

One season wonder? I agree he was enormous in 2011.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!