Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 5: In Game Thread: Carlton vs. Fremantle (Read 28303 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 5: In Game Thread: Carlton vs. Fremantle

Reply #75
Give Jones his due today.  All talls are expected to make a contest when out of position but many fail to do so.  At least Jones is living up to expectations atm.

I know Mav, and I understand that position, if he was a 19 or 20 year old I'd be saying something to work with there. If that was Jack Silvagni give him a gold star for effort.

But Jones and Casboult are 25 and 26 years old respectively been in the system 7 or 8 years, hardened AFL bodies with years of coaching invested in them. They don't get a pass for doing the bare basics, it's expected.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #76
Fyfe injured makes a massive difference to Cripps, he's main opposition has gone south.
Is he? Fyffe still has 15 possessions. But then, Freo have almost 50 more possessions than we have.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #77
Let's also remember that Freo hasn't lost its defensive skills.  The recent failure of the more attacking gameplan has led Lyon to double down on defence, playing loose defenders and the like.  Life is pretty tough for our forwards, particularly as the I50s aren't great.

Reply #78
We have managed 3 - 4 - 22 from intercepts in the forward 50! That means we have generated 5 points directly.
Freo have got nothing from intercepts so far.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #79
Third Quarter underway. Thomas gets a goal.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #81
I know Mav, and I understand that position, if he was a 19 or 20 year old I'd be saying something to work with there. If that was Jack Silvagni give him a gold star for effort.

But Jones and Casboult are 25 and 26 years old respectively been in the system 7 or 8 years, hardened AFL bodies with years of coaching invested in them. They don't get a pass for doing the bare basics, it's expected.

I'd love to see both of them do really well, just want to see them attack the contest, use their height and abilities. I'm not watching the game just listening on the radio and the commentators are very critical of Jones and his lack of impact on the game.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #82

I wouldn't send a young player to play key forward on our forward line in a fit. It would destroy them for good. I'd play Jaksch in defence watching this as he'd never develop anything on our forward line. Plugger would struggle on our forward line. Casboult has at least touched it 9 times and set up our first goal.

Reply #83
That poor long bomb to Jones in deep F50 says it all.  Jones was had 2 defenders to deal with and the delivery favoured them.  He tried to get some body on them and gave away the free but that was as much as any forward could have done.

Reply #84
freo have massive problems between the ears.

Reply #85
Fyfe out.. We need to capitalise.. must win game now!!!

Reply #86
Gonna have to beat 21 to win this.   It is actually in Freo's interest to drop this... Would light a fire under Lyon.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #87
Hmmm ... 5.10.  If we lose, won't have to look far for reasons.  Ed Curnow's miss was terrible.

Reply #88
I'd love to see both of them do really well, just want to see them attack the contest, use their height and abilities. I'm not watching the game just listening on the radio and the commentators are very critical of Jones and his lack of impact on the game.
If we can't kick it near him, then there isn't a lot he can do about it. The way Freo defends, there isn't a lot of space for a guy who is trying to lead, unless we get some decent centre breaks. That we are not doing.
For all that, I am sure Fev would have got his hands on the ball more than Jones has, but Jones has demonstrated well enough that a 2nd Fev he isn't.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #89
Half way through the quarter and 1 goal has been kicked.
Live Long and Prosper!