Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 7: Northern Blues vs Coburg (Read 36844 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 7: Northern Blues vs Coburg

Reply #91
AFL Victoria Development League
Northern Blues   2.6  5.7  8.9  10.13 (73)
Coburg   3.1  9.3  10.6  12.7 (79)

GOALS:
Northern Blues: Corboy 2 Jacques 2 Brown  Vesnaver  Malual  Bolger  Cripps  Roos
Coburg: Urquhart 3 Corigliano  King  Wunhym  Sutherland  Free  Madden  Hickey  McDonagh  Holdsworth

BEST:
Northern Blues: Jordan Roos Vesnaver Barrett Bolger Declase
Coburg: McConville Clarke Corigliano Valeri Urquhart Robortella
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #92
I'd rest Cripps and play Graham this week.......odds are its another belting anyway, Cripps isnt right and needs a break.
Graham is probably too good for two's footy and needs some senior footy as one of the main cogs to show his worth for the future....give him Selwood and tell him to learn the trade...

Reply #93
Peter Jackson VFL 2016
Northern Blues   5.3  9.7  14.9  16.10 (106)
Coburg    2.2  7.4  9.6  14.11 (95)

GOALS:
Northern Blues: Jaksch 4 Silvagni 3 Tutt 3 Graham 3 Gowers  Boekhorst  Korcheck
Coburg : Featherstone 5 Younan 3 Ercolano 2 McEvoy  Hunt  Thomas  Hill

BEST:
Northern Blues: Tutt Gowers Graham Jaksch Foster Totevski
Coburg : Featherstone Thomas Schraven Goodwin Mattingly Younan

DISPOSALS: Tutt 37, Graham 32, Jones 24, Aujla 24, Smith 20, Foster 18, Jaksch 17.

Interesting that Smith had 20 possessions: it is, I think, the first time this has happened. I don't know how effective he was, but he will make the highlight disc with a couple of tackles and smothers. I am very pleased that he was in the play and effective enough to get 20 possessions.
Jaksch wasn't huge for 3 quarters, but he did have a very good last quarter. And he does have a strong mark and kick. he must have done enough to give the selectors the option of playing him. Of that I am happy.
Foster getting 18 possessions in defence was also a big positive.

That Cunningham, DVR and others could not make that sort of contribution was a big disappointment. DVR and Dick seem to have dropped off over the last few weeks.

I wonder how Wood went? If he did nothing, then bringing him back next week won't help us a lot. Granted that we got pounded in the ruck, we cannot put in someone who isn't doing to do the job.
Tutt couldn't have done more than he did. He has his issues, but if he doesn't get in after this game, then he never will.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #94
Graham doesn't play the same roles as army .

And he's not as quick, but he's a better footballer.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #95
I agree but the players who do play his role you wouldn't be dropping.

You realise this makes no sense?

...and, as an aside, Army has been very good . Quiet last night though.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #96
And he's not as quick, but he's a better footballer.

No he's not.

He (Graham) may be a better VFL footballer because he plays midfield.

In the big show Graham doesn't have the tools to play any position.

Army has a few things that make him a handy defensive forward.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #97
No he's not.

He (Graham) may be a better VFL footballer because he plays midfield.

In the big show Graham doesn't have the tools to play any position.

Agree with this. Graham is a solid footballer and at VFL level will perform well. But to succeed at league level requires some standout attribute. Armfield has a decent turn of pace that makes up for his other limitations. Graham lacks a trick that means his time on the senior list is likely limited. He isn't tall, nor that pacy. His decision making and footskills are ok, but not enough to make up the difference.

Reply #98
He needs to start winning clearances and some goal assists.. his tackling is good, his scrapping is good enough last year before he got injured then lost form early part of this year.

But if he starts to scrap well in AFL, win some clearances, tackle well and some goal assists he will play many games.

Reply #99
Agree with this. Graham is a solid footballer and at VFL level will perform well. But to succeed at league level requires some standout attribute. Armfield has a decent turn of pace that makes up for his other limitations. Graham lacks a trick that means his time on the senior list is likely limited. He isn't tall, nor that pacy. His decision making and footskills are ok, but not enough to make up the difference.

Either way, those types are always good to have around.

Reply #100

Kicking goals not being one of them, like the majority of our forward line.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #101
Greetings fellow CSCers.

Any positives I communicate should be tempered by the fact that we played the bottom side... and we really did not look much better. In fact, had the game gone another 5 minutes I reckon Coburg could have snatched it.

The standouts for me were Tutt and Graham. Without those two I reckon there would have been a very real chance of us losing.

Graham set the tone early with very strong, positive and influential play. He really did take the game on and bring the rest of the boys with him. He faded late but was a standout and would be stiff to not be seriously considered for senior selection. His game was good in all aspects.

Tutt was out on his own a lot and was everywhere. He was BOG by a mile (next best being Graham). One of the much better games I've seen him play with disposal skills good though he still has that bloody awful habit of just throwing it on his boot from time to time.

SOSOS is class. Looked very dangerous in the first half but was exhausted by the end of the game. Virtually unsighted in the second half.

Dick was okay but not his usual enthusiastic, solid self.

Foster was serviceable.

On today's performance from Cameron Wood not sure he's stated a strong case for senior selection. Serviceable only. The question of he or Gorringe can be best answered by...'gee I hope Phillips is over his hamstring injury!'

McCasker showed glimpses and I like his confidence to run when he's got possession... soooooo much to learn but there were encouraging signs today.

Really like Billy Gower's game today. Run, dash, hard at it though he was caught once 'a la Bell' - you know, the completely unaware run where you get caught and pinged... he did that once, but otherwise, he was good.

I still reckon Whiley's brain is a half second too slow for our game – slow decisions and wrong decisions dominate. Brave, hard at it but has the knack of putting in loads of effort and having FA to show for it... a little like Smith.

Great to see Gus Sheehan back and he was good. Disposal by foot showed a few others how it's done. Did some very encouraging things but tired and had an ice pack on his calf at the end. Hope it was just precautionary. Gotta hunch that after a couple more games he'll be pressing for senior selection.

Jaksch took some very impressive marks up forward. Got a couple of lucky goals being on the end of very good up field work (particularly from Tutt and Graham). He's really got to get some other strings to his bow. Missed a couple of easy shots so could have had 6, He's more a forward than a defender as he really doesn't provide much dash off the backline. Senior selection? 50/50.

Cuningham was disappointing. Maybe he's homesick. Showed dash on a few occasions but does not impose himself on the game. Did a pretty weave through traffic once but gee for a virtual first round draft pick he aint telling us why through his actions. His game today reminded me of the pre season game against the Dons where he was expected to be influential in the midfield but was lost.

Didn't see Boekhorst after half time or thereabouts. Was up and about in the first half and was dangerous. Worked hard. I still don't like the way he hangs back out of contests though today he did lay a few tackles but it's like he does it because he should rather than with intensity and attitude.

Rainbow was serviceable. Did some good things, but remember, the opposition was light!

Best game I've seen from Smith. Seemed to be in everything and laid the best tackle of the game... he took on a bloke twice his size and nailed him - got a free for his effort as well. Cuningham and Boekhorst could learn something from that tackle. But for all his activity there wasn't a great deal of hurt put on the opposition. He did try some offensive stuff (rather than focussing on tackling, spoiling and bumping) but looked all at sea. Funny situation as he seems to need to learn how to be offensive and creative. He backed himself in a few marking contests and showed good judgment. Maybe, just maybe, he needs more confidence to really back himself as there were glimpses of class today.

The big Yank wasn't so influential around the ground but really did some very good work at bounces and throw ins.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #102
Kicking goals not being one of them, like the majority of our forward line.

And Graham hasn't this year either, plus Graham can't kick over 40 m or run or mark or spoil.

Graham is a terrific possession getter, smart user and good tackler, but he can't get the role he wants in a AFL midfield. Gibbs and Cripps have it covered.

The only role I reckon he might, just might, have a chance of taking is Kerridge, but Kerridge cover miles more territory than Graham.

Reply #103
hes a better player than Ed Curnow I reckon and Jaksch is a better player than Jones.

Reply #104
hes a better player than Ed Curnow I reckon and Jaksch is a better player than Jones.

You think Graham is better than Curnow?