Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 9: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs. North Melbourne (Read 32701 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 9: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs. North Melbourne

Reply #90
Amen! >:(

It was really irritating at the game last night with a Norp dickhead repeating ad nauseum "It took Norf to make a decent footballer out of him" in a very whiney voice - flog!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #91
Gorringe was beaten by the best ruckman in the game. We wont know how good he is until he has a good run at it. I think he tried, his skills let him down a couple of times, probably due to confidence, and he kicked a goal which demonstrated his athletic ability. Overall their midfield slaughtered us driven by a dominant ruck display, secondly our skills let us down, thirdly our forward line structure was chaotic and fourthly North is a good team at the peak of their game coming off a pretty embarrassing second half performance so they were all fired up. Disappointing loss but lets not slash our wrists and start bagging our team simply because we want to pretend we are more passionate and caring than the players. It is very easy to mean on the internet.

Reply #92
Don't know who Matt Windley is from HUN and how much football nous he's got (or even whether he actually watched the game) but his 'best' were (no. of games in brackets):

Blues: Kerridge (36), Weitering (7), Docherty (57), Byrne (7), Cripps (31), Wright (103 - 9 w/ CFC).

Part of me thinks "that's great"! Part of me wonders where the senior players are. Part of me thinks he might be another Gibbs frustrator (29 disposals to Weits' 11).

Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #93
Goldstein was BOG by a long way last night. It proves that ruckmen dont matter that much until a really good one comes along and then they matter a great deal.  With first use almost guaranteed, north's midfield cleared it out fast, making life easier for their forwards.

Our lack of height hurt us, with a tendency to keep handballing as we lacked a target to kick to. No great surprise, but it meant finding different paths to goal. At times we did OK, but with jones and everitt our two main forwards, kicking much of a score was remote. Wasn't a fan of cripps going third man up, as it means our best clearence player is easier to defend against. Given his movement he was playing injured; not ideal.

Things that were good were the continued good play by docherty, easily our best defender. Kerridge, despite the fumbles at times kept working hard, byrne played well, and Gorringe, despite being utterly smashed in the ruck, presented a bit around the ground and kicked a fun goal. The team kept at it overall, despite being totally outclassed.

Things not to like were the umpiring. Friday's match was a poor one from the umps and it continued. With four umpires running about on the field they are now trying to get involved and it results in greater inconsistency and more uncertainty. Rules are now being enforced selectively, depending on whether ther game is moving or not. How many conferences does it take to decide if the ball went out of bounds? Dilluted responsibility means more second guessing and confusion.

Most ridiculous is the shot clock. I don't care about it per se, but it is embarrassing and ridiculous when a player, as they did several times last night, exceeds the 30 seconds and the umpire does not blow play on. So now we can see clearly the rules not being enforced. Pull your heads out AFL and umpires.  It's a very poor spectacle.

And finally, in the theme of poor spectacles, the noise of the announcer and other garbage at north's games doesn't make up for their dismal lack of supporters and contined search for relevance. Most clubs produce pretty naff mascots and assorted silliness, but north are almost parody.

Reply #94
And finally, in the theme of poor spectacles, the noise of the announcer and other garbage at north's games doesn't make up for their dismal lack of supporters and contined search for relevance. Most clubs produce pretty naff mascots and assorted silliness, but north are almost parody.

Totally agree - the 'make some noise' announcement and then the recorded cheering - what a stinker. Recorded cheering, really...??? Next they will have someone holding up 'Applause' signs (like a TV recording) so the 'fans' know when to cheer. Worst 'add-on' I have seen at a match ever.

Reply #95
We should have played Wood instead of Gorringe, Wood at least has some body strength and mongrel and would have made it more uncomfortable for Goldstein.
I would have thought anyone could do this under instruction. It doesnt take that much skill to make a prick of yourself, look at Mummy. Yes he is a good ruckmen but he also genuinely wants to hurt (legally) the other guy.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #96
Goldstein was BOG by a long way last night. It proves that ruckmen dont matter that much until a really good one comes along and then they matter a great deal.  With first use almost guaranteed, north's midfield cleared it out fast, making life easier for their forwards.

Our lack of height hurt us, with a tendency to keep handballing as we lacked a target to kick to. No great surprise, but it meant finding different paths to goal. At times we did OK, but with jones and everitt our two main forwards, kicking much of a score was remote. Wasn't a fan of cripps going third man up, as it means our best clearence player is easier to defend against. Given his movement he was playing injured; not ideal.

Things that were good were the continued good play by docherty, easily our best defender. Kerridge, despite the fumbles at times kept working hard, byrne played well, and Gorringe, despite being utterly smashed in the ruck, presented a bit around the ground and kicked a fun goal. The team kept at it overall, despite being totally outclassed.

Things not to like were the umpiring. Friday's match was a poor one from the umps and it continued. With four umpires running about on the field they are now trying to get involved and it results in greater inconsistency and more uncertainty. Rules are now being enforced selectively, depending on whether ther game is moving or not. How many conferences does it take to decide if the ball went out of bounds? Dilluted responsibility means more second guessing and confusion.

Most ridiculous is the shot clock. I don't care about it per se, but it is embarrassing and ridiculous when a player, as they did several times last night, exceeds the 30 seconds and the umpire does not blow play on. So now we can see clearly the rules not being enforced. Pull your heads out AFL and umpires.  It's a very poor spectacle.

Great post. I'm in agreement.
We were unabashedly beaten by a more experienced, bigger, more talented, highly confident, big breasted team.
It was totally expected and I thought (most of ) our boys did their best under the circumstances.
I don't like to sook it and whine about umpires either, but it was a poor showing and on balance we were disadvantaged. I think Kerridge's goal towards the end kind of summed it up. We got a point for a goal :-\. We were outclassed but will take a great deal from it that will strengthen the journey we're on.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #97
If we are serious about winning and playing finals, then you play Cameron Wood

If you are in a learning environment, and watching which players are good or can compete, listen and stick to what you are tying to implement, then you play Gorringe.

Frustrating yes, losing sucks, but the end game. When Waite, Petrie, Thomas and Boomer are long retired, Plow, Weiters, Byrne and Doc will be dominating opposition forward lines.

Gorringe got a huge learning wake up call yesterday. This is the standard against the every best. Cripps, learnt that you won't always win the taps and you have to fight for every clearance.

We learnt more last night than the other 4 wins IMO and I reckon Bolton enjoyed the wake up call as such. No media this week for the blues, back to business.

Think you are right Shades.

Bolts almost looked relieved after the game, like he knew it was coming.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #98
Not unhappy about last night at all.
Thought there was still enough effort despite being woefully undermanned,

It also served as a bit of a reality check...and the experience gained by some of the younger players will be invaluable.

We didn't go backwards last night... just another step along the way.

Reply #99
If we are serious about winning and playing finals, then you play Cameron Wood

If you are in a learning environment, and watching which players are good or can compete, listen and stick to what you are tying to implement, then you play Gorringe.

Frustrating yes, losing sucks, but the end game. When Waite, Petrie, Thomas and Boomer are long retired, Plow, Weiters, Byrne and Doc will be dominating opposition forward lines.

Gorringe got a huge learning wake up call yesterday. This is the standard against the every best. Cripps, learnt that you won't always win the taps and you have to fight for every clearance.

We learnt more last night than the other 4 wins IMO and I reckon Bolton enjoyed the wake up call as such. No media this week for the blues, back to business.

I think you have to play Wood to help develop Gorringe and look after some of your other players too...North are a very big team physically and we needed another big body out there..
I agree its not about winning but by playing Wood with Gorringe you are also looking after your developing players..
An example is Cripps...you dont need too many brains to figure out he is banged up and probably needs a few weeks off and I dont reckon we did him any favours with only Gorringe as our ruckman.
He had to work twice as hard to get a kick with Goldstein dominating and it wont be any easier this week with Geelongs star studded midfield to deal with.....

Reply #100
Can't believe the lack of attention on our mids - around the stoppages and in defensive structures - Gibbs, Murph, Cripps, Curnow etc.

All, ALL had SHOCKERS - that is why we were pumped - not because of Goldstein or our forward line.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #101
And yes, Cripps looks very "banged up". Murph and Gibbs just got caught up in the media BS again.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #102
This result was bound to happen with some serious outs for our side and an inexperienced line up to start with at full strength. It's amazing we didn't get belted by 20 goals IMO.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #103
Can't believe the lack of attention on our mids - around the stoppages and in defensive structures - Gibbs, Murph, Cripps, Curnow etc.

All, ALL had SHOCKERS - that is why we were pumped - not because of Goldstein or our forward line.

Gibbs was good in the first half. Cripps better in the second.

Goldy killed us.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #104
Totally agree - the 'make some noise' announcement and then the recorded cheering - what a stinker. Recorded cheering, really...??? Next they will have someone holding up 'Applause' signs (like a TV recording) so the 'fans' know when to cheer. Worst 'add-on' I have seen at a match ever.

Not as bad as the NRL TV broadcast. They have canned crowd noise played after every tackle. Listen carefully next time. Reminds me of the looped slow mo crowd noise they used to play on World of Sport when playing non televised game highlights.