Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 10: Pre Game Premonitions: Carlton vs Geelong (Read 37829 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 10: Pre Game Premonitions: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #90
So we're playing these silly little selection games again......I thought we'd moved on from that. FMD, what's the point of naming those 2......I'd actually be extremely concerned for their welfare if either of them actually took to the field. Utterly ridiculous.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #91
So we're playing these silly little selection games again......I thought we'd moved on from that. FMD, what's the point of naming those 2......I'd actually be extremely concerned for their welfare if either of them actually took to the field. Utterly ridiculous.

Teams nominated 4 days before the game.

There's nothing silly about it. Sounds like they are a real chance and if not ready this week definitely ready next.

Spoke to a nurse with 30 years experience in orthopedic post op work.

She reckons Kruez is a chance. Not uncommon for people to be back in action with a week or two. Swelling after the game probably the main concern.

Casboults injury is harder to judge because it's about pain usually, not damage.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #92
Disagree a little.

Thomas twice got easy leads straight from Centre Clearances. Clean quick ball like that is impossible to stop and came down to our midfielders.

Harvey pushed off through the middle for his goals and again our smaller defenders were not to blame.

Our mids got killed both sides of the ball last Saturday and that was the difference.

Foxtel commentator actually highlighted Simpson a mile away from his opponent looking for the easy outlet kick but thats all history and we can see how they go this week vs the Cats
small to medium players up forward..

Reply #93
Casboults injury is harder to judge because it's about pain usually, not damage.

That's a very interesting point, because I had heard a whisper that Casboult was unexpectedly pain free, which was the reason they sent him for a more detailed scan.

I still think he is probably borderline, do you take an early risk with a +100kg jumping marking player for a game you are probably unlikely to win? It would seem if it is just a bone bruise then another week just makes it certain.

SpecialK could well play, he played out the game and I have heard stories of blokes having a meniscus trimmed on Monday and playing a GF on Saturday. He wouldn't be the first to come back from a small meniscus tear two weeks later.

I suppose the flip side of this debate is that we are not expected to do much this year anyway. So if guys want to test their durability and it fails we don't really damage any expectations for 2016.

I think the biggest plus from all this, is that if blokes are genuinely putting their hand up to get back early then Bolton has significantly changed the Carlton culture.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #94
Pretty simple equation.

If they're fit they'll play.....

Can't see why the Club would bother to play games here.....

Who are we to judge whether they can do harm to themselves if they play. Kreuzer played out his last match with the tear so clearly the medicos were all over that injury.

Casboult might be harder to assess but clearly adds a lot to out forward structure and as a round the ground target.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #95
Our mids got killed both sides of the ball last Saturday and that was the difference.

This.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #97
Foxtel commentator actually highlighted Simpson a mile away from his opponent looking for the easy outlet kick but thats all history and we can see how they go this week vs the Cats

Its very easy to label someone as lazy, but these guys are working in a zone, and not being tight on a man can be a design, and simply following a man can be an oppositions method to open up a zone.

ergo, thomas's goal may have been to drag Simpson from the position he was in, rather than simply Simpson being lazy, and its much more difficult to allow a man to roam free and maintain your position than it is to follow him everywhere.

Now, on the flipside of that to find the answer to whether or not we were lazy, ask the following question.  Would his tight manning up have made one iota of difference?

The answer is simple, no.  Why?  Too much ball came in too easily, and they scored not from the smalls, not from the talls, but from the extra number pushing into their forwardline from midfield which created issues for us, as we had people trying to cover multiple players too frequently.

ERGO, they had a deliberate tactic designed to penetrate a zone defense, and we dealt with it poorly.

AFL 360 can give some good insight into the game, and perhaps a method around what happened would have been getting an extra number back, but I don't think lazy is necessarily the explanation of why it happened.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #98
But does said Foxtel commentator know if thats an instruction from the coach or not? What if it is?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #99
But does said Foxtel commentator know if thats an instruction from the coach or not? What if it is?

Please tell me it wasn't Dwayne, he cannot even tell how high the ball was when it crosses the goal line! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #100
You only have to be 5% off your best and you get made top look very average. That can be something as simple as not concentrating for every single minute of the game.

Most of the team was flat against the Roos.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #101

A bit harsh EB!

It looked to me that Simpson was guarding space, as per the team defence.  He simply didn't respond quickly enough and that put Docherty under the hammer.

Bolton has us playing a high risk, high reward brand of footy and we'll give up goals until everyone masters their role(s) and executes it very well.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #102

Beauty of playing Sunday, we can put them all on an extended bench and then decide. At our levels we won't have the need be playing silly games.

Reply #103
Beauty of playing Sunday, we can put them all on an extended bench and then decide. At our levels we won't have the need be playing silly games.

Agreed, they're clearly both a better than even chance of getting up.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #104
I just saw some footage on TV of Kreuzer and Casboult undergoing 'secret' fitness tests.  It was a teaser for the news and they didn't give much away.  They weren't at Princes Park.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball