Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 10: Pre Game Premonitions: Carlton vs Geelong (Read 37822 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 10: Pre Game Premonitions: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #105
I just saw some footage on TV of Kreuzer and Casboult undergoing 'secret' fitness tests.  It was a teaser for the news and they didn't give much away.  They weren't at Princes Park.

I heard they were testing in Albert Park, Harry Trott oval. It's the VCA/Collegians/Wesley College oval. It's a great oval, in terrific condition.

Probably went there due to weather/ground conditions. If they had to it's hop/skip and jump to an indoor session as MSAC. Plus the whole club later did a light skills session at the nearby hockey fields.

Also I'm not sure this wasn't just for the publicity. There is nothing secret about the location, in fact early in the morning Albert Park is like Bourke St Mall there are so many runners, walkers and trainers. Perhaps that is why, they went somewhere they would definitely be seen!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #106
"Secret" was Channel 9's description but it has cropped up again on our website:

Carlton talls Matthew Kreuzer and Levi Casboult have been put through a rigorous testing session on Friday morning as the Blues consider a shock return for the key pair.

Kreuzer (knee) and Casboult (leg) were included in the 25-man squad to face Geelong on Sunday despite injuries that had been expected to sideline them for another three matches.

Both were put through a secret 20-minute testing session at the Power House Hockey Club in Albert Park on Friday morning before taking part in light handball drills.

Coach Brendon Bolton said the pair would be put through more testing in the next 48 hours and the club would take no risks with them against the Cats. 

"They got through a good session this morning and we'll have another run in a day or two and see how we go," Bolton said. 

"It'll be more about jumping and landing and a lot of the specific work that the talls do.

"There's still 48 hours, but we're hopeful.

"We'll just make an informed decision … based on medical advice and how they're pulling up from the sessions."
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #107
Its very easy to label someone as lazy, but these guys are working in a zone, and not being tight on a man can be a design, and simply following a man can be an oppositions method to open up a zone.

ergo, thomas's goal may have been to drag Simpson from the position he was in, rather than simply Simpson being lazy, and its much more difficult to allow a man to roam free and maintain your position than it is to follow him everywhere.

Now, on the flipside of that to find the answer to whether or not we were lazy, ask the following question.  Would his tight manning up have made one iota of difference?

The answer is simple, no.  Why?  Too much ball came in too easily, and they scored not from the smalls, not from the talls, but from the extra number pushing into their forwardline from midfield which created issues for us, as we had people trying to cover multiple players too frequently.

ERGO, they had a deliberate tactic designed to penetrate a zone defense, and we dealt with it poorly.

AFL 360 can give some good insight into the game, and perhaps a method around what happened would have been getting an extra number back, but I don't think lazy is necessarily the explanation of why it happened.

In my day defenders defended first.....Thomas had about 7 shots for goal and probably should have kicked six and you want to give our small defenders a pat on the back? Thomas is a cherry picking cheat who plays for frees, pushes people in the back and generally has no concept of doing any team oriented play..I highly doubt that Scott would entrust him with any take your man wide duties and sacrifice for the team...

The ball did come in too easily but a mug like Simon White and a kid named Weitering decided I'll just stick to my man and play some defense.....funny how that seemed to work out well and players like Petrie, Waite and Brown(after half time) never got off the leish....

I presume your tactic will be to let Motlop run loose and let our blokes play wide of him......good luck with that theory....

Reply #108
Thomas is a cherry picking cheat who plays for frees, pushes people in the back and generally has no concept of doing any team oriented play..

That is the best description for that seagull I've seen to date.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #109
Thomas's career averages would take a massive hit if we removed his games against us.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #110
That is the best description for that seagull I've seen to date.

We only hate villains when they wear the wrong colours.

Reply #111
Both Kroooz and the Bolt are in!!  Gorridge and Jones are out.

Reply #112
Carlton's team to take on Geelong:

Backs 6. Kade Simpson 20. Lachie Plowman 15. Sam Docherty
Half-backs 42. Zach Tuohy 23. Jacob Weitering 39. Dale Thomas
Centreline 19. Liam Sumner 4. Bryce Gibbs 27. Dennis Armfield
Half-forwards 33. Andrejs Everitt 17. Sam Rowe 35. Ed Curnow
Forwards 46. Matthew Wright 41. Levi Casboult 1. Andrew Walker
Followers 8. Matthew Kreuzer 9. Patrick Cripps 3. Marc Murphy (C)
Interchange 43. Simon White 38. Ciaran Byrne 11. Sam Kerridge
  13. Jed Lamb    

Emergencies 14. Liam Jones 37. Daniel Gorringe 18. Kristian Jaksch

Reply #114
I bet there's a queue about 500 metres long at PP... people with cups in hand to gather and drink some of the water we have there - obviously has remarkable healing qualities!!!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #115
Carlton's team to take on Geelong:

Backs 6. Kade Simpson 20. Lachie Plowman 15. Sam Docherty
Half-backs 42. Zach Tuohy 23. Jacob Weitering 39. Dale Thomas
Centreline 19. Liam Sumner 4. Bryce Gibbs 27. Dennis Armfield
Half-forwards 33. Andrejs Everitt 17. Sam Rowe 35. Ed Curnow
Forwards 46. Matthew Wright 41. Levi Casboult 1. Andrew Walker
Followers 8. Matthew Kreuzer 9. Patrick Cripps 3. Marc Murphy (C)
Interchange 43. Simon White 38. Ciaran Byrne 11. Sam Kerridge
  13. Jed Lamb    

Emergencies 14. Liam Jones 37. Daniel Gorringe 18. Kristian Jaksch

Jaksch must wonder what he has to do. His form is holding up very well at both ends of the ground in the VFL.

It's possible Rowe is going to play forward so he can share the ruck duties with Kreuzer saving Casboult's leg.

Reply #116
No way that side will play, too small.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #117
Didn't think I'd be saying it... but I'm actually sorry to see Jones miss (if he does ;))

Reply #118
I can't take any of the team selections serious.

I'm no fan of Jaksch but I'm keen to see what he can do at senior level again and apparently he has been doing very well in the VFL and has warranted selection but cannot get one after we have got pumped the week before.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #119
Jones extremely unlucky to miss out.......but I'm guessing he'll play in any case as no way both Kreuzer & Casboult will.
Football is life, there is nothing else....