Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Round 10: Northern Blues vs Box Hill at Box Hill (Read 41051 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Round 10: Northern Blues vs Box Hill at Box Hill

Reply #120
In - Phillips, Silvagni.

Out - Gorringe, White
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #121
One thing I didn't mention was SOJ showboating as he ran in for an easy goal.  It wasn't over the top but it's not a good look.

I am sure SOS and the coaches will have a quiet word in his ear.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #122
In- Phillips ,Silvagni, Jaksch
Out - Gorringe ,White ( Everitt or Walker )     

Reply #123
In- Phillips ,Silvagni, Jaksch
Out - Gorringe ,White ( Everitt or Walker )    

Interesting thing for us is the next game is GWS, probably the hardest running team in the AFL. At the moment our preferred "INs" seem to be Silvagni and Jaksch, but the one major criticism against both is that they do not play 4 quarters even at VFL level.

That situation won't improve against GWS which is running top level AFL teams into the ground regularly. So I cannot see us bringing both in for their first game of the season against one of the gold standard clubs.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #124
We'll certainly bring in Phillips to bolster our ruck with maybe Gorringe or one of Walker/Everitt to make way.

Can't see too many other changes tbh.  Boekhorst could be available (extra pace) but I would think he'll come back via the NBs?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #125
Interesting thing for us is the next game is GWS, probably the hardest running team in the AFL. At the moment our preferred "INs" seem to be Silvagni and Jaksch, but the one major criticism against both is that they do not play 4 quarters even at VFL level.

That situation won't improve against GWS which is running top level AFL teams into the ground regularly. So I cannot see us bringing both in for their first game of the season against one of the gold standard clubs.

I don't think many of those advocating for SOJ and Jaksch have seen them live.  I have only seen them once but Baggers is a regular NBs watcher and my observations were similar to his.

While they don't play 4 quarters at VFL level, it seems to be for different reasons.  SOJ works his butt off then has to recover on the bench.  He is really spent when he comes off and it takes him quite a while to get his breath back.  He missed most of last season and really needs more game time to build match fitness.  On the other hand, Jaksch seems fit enough and his best is certainly good enough to be more than competitive at AFL level.  However, at the moment his best is spasmodic and he drifts out of the game.

As LP surmises, playing either against GWS will set them a difficult task and effectively have us a man down for periods of the game.  Of course, Jaksch could train the house down over the next two and come out and play a blinder against GWS.  Stranger things have happened.

Phillips should come in and Jones deserves another run.  As Baggers suggested, Gowers would add some run and hardness to our defence but I suspect that his chance will come later in the season.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #126
second half of the year players like Graham, Jaksch, Boekhorst need to be given a string of consistent games because they're quality youngsters (yes I have seen them all play including Jaksch) . Jaksch is by far the more talented of the three mentioned.

final quarter of the year last 4-5 rounds I would like to see Jack, Curnow and McKay play all games.

Time to phase out Jamison, Walker, Armfield, Everitt and few others

Reply #127
second half of the year players like Graham, Jaksch, Boekhorst need to be given a string of consistent games because they're quality youngsters (yes I have seen them all play including Jaksch) . Jaksch is by far the more talented of the three mentioned.

final quarter of the year last 4-5 rounds I would like to see Jack, Curnow and McKay play all games.

Jamo and Walker I agree.  Everitt I understand.  But how on earth does Armfield deserve the chop on his year to date?

Reply #128
Jamo and Walker I agree.  Everitt I understand.  But how on earth does Armfield deserve the chop on his year to date?

I love the bloke and should stay on the list but if I had to select Army out of Jack or Curnow at high half forward I will go for the youngsters,

Reply #129

That bird has already flown.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #130
I love the bloke and should stay on the list but if I had to select Army out of Jack or Curnow at high half forward I will go for the youngsters,

They're not really competing for the same position.  Armfield is a defensive forward who has managed to hit the scoreboard in recent games.  Charlie Curnow is a marking forward and SOJ, while a decent size, tends to get the pill by good positioning and getting into space.  Neither of them have Armfield's speed.

Charlie would seem to be competing with Everitt, Walker and perhaps White.  SOJ plays more like Sumner, Lamb or Walker at a pinch.  Perhaps the closest player we've had to SOJ would be Menzel when he had a crack.

Reply #131
I don't think many of those advocating for SOJ and Jaksch have seen them live. 

I would be interested to know which advocators had seen them live.

Reply #132
They're not really competing for the same position.  Armfield is a defensive forward who has managed to hit the scoreboard in recent games.  Charlie Curnow is a marking forward and SOJ, while a decent size, tends to get the pill by good positioning and getting into space.  Neither of them have Armfield's speed.

Charlie would seem to be competing with Everitt, Walker and perhaps White.  SOJ plays more like Sumner, Lamb or Walker at a pinch.  Perhaps the closest player we've had to SOJ would be Menzel when he had a crack.

Either this year or next (or whenever) Charlie and Jack will be replacing Everitt and Walker.

Those advocating Jack are mostly doing so because...
a) They see stats/goals from the NB games
b) They see the 'performance' (or lack thereof) of Walker/Everitt on a weekly basis.

Based on that its a case of, "surely he couldn't be any worse than..."

Reply #133
I would be interested to know which advocators had seen them live.

I have seen Jaksch a few times live and reckon he is worthy of senior footy...only seen SOSOS once in the VFL and twice at U18 level But am not an advocate of promoting him yet..
KJ has ability and while  operating off a straight line only  has a been a problem in the NB's you only have to look at Gorringe to see what some senior games can do for you.
We are in a development/experimental phase and I'd be playing KJ, DVR, Buckley,promote  Gowers and JessieMac etc and getting a handle on where they are at.....results dont mean much.
The only result that matters is finding out who can play seniors for the future and disposing of those who cant...NB's form doesnt always show a player worth either.

Reply #134
If we already know that certain players e.g. Jack S. are going to be around next year then there is no point rushing them into the seniors this year.

Where we are looking to make a decision on them this year then they may be given a game or two so that the decision can be made. I don't know whether Jaksch would fit into this category. The following

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/midseason-report-carlton-become-overachievers-20160615-gpjd7v.html

is an interesting article and it says that with BB's approach players who for instance can't hit targets will not be kept on, papers likely stamped, and that Dylan Buckley is a possible example in this category. Others struggling for a senior game for whatever reasons who are also possibly under the pump include Clem Smith, KJ, Liam Jones.
Reality always wins in the end.