Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 15: Post Game Frustrations: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 32214 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 15: Post Game ________: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #60
Coaches prefer two ruckmen and Jones/Gorringe were in while Phillips was injured. I think we just have to choose, Kreuzer or Sauce, because two ruckmen doesn't seem to be working.

The current two ruckmen don't work because neither has much to offer as a forward. Despite the often expressed hopes about Kreuzer, he has never looked like a forward. He is our most effective ruckman ATM but does not look likely to be a dominant ruckman in the future.

This is where the coaches are in a difficult position; they need to give Phillips game time because they think he will be our best option going forward but Kreuzer offers the better option ATM. I don't think it is surprising that Kreuzer did the bulk of the ruckwork during our better games but has been much less effective when sharing the role. It is a catch 22 but, as we are not ready to achieve great heights this year, the coaching panel has probably made the right decision for the future.

Reply #61
I was pleasantly surprised by young Silvagni's game last night. Maybe it comes down to expectations. I'd heard all throughout his junior footy that he was nothing special - way behind other kids of his age and that if he made it to Carlton it would only be on the strength of his old man's reputation. Bear in mind he's very unlikely to be as good as SOS - the guy was Full Back of the Century for Pete's sake.

Not even the Son of God lived up to his reputation - sent by His Father to save the world?  How's that workin' out for ya'?
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #62
When SOJ grubbed his first kick in the warm up I thought that the occasion might have unnerved him, but that wasn't the case.  It was one of the most assured first games I have seen.

He probably should have kicked the goal in the first quarter and dishing off to Gibbs in the last was a poor decision but entirely understandable for a first gamer.  I expect that similar situations in future games will result in goals.

My concerns about SOJ's fitness were unfounded but he wouldn't have been selected if he wasn't able to run out the game.  He covered the ground well and at times it seemed that we had two Simmos in defence.

It seemed like déjà vu at times as SOJ's running style is so like SOS's.  I found myself waiting for him to turn around so I could check that it was 2 on his back.

It was a promising debut and I'm glad I made the effort to watch the game live.  Apart from SOJ's debut, it was a forgettable game and I don't really feel like saying much about it.

We desperately need a couple of quality mids and a key forward though  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #63
Yes, I thought Jack made a positive start for us and did not flinch when he went for the high balls. Pity his debut had to be against the backdrop of such a dismal team effort.
Casboult certainly was right up there with Everitt for crapness and surely will be lucky to survive unless he turns it around very soon?

Casboult has been down for a couple of games, he has come off an injury, but has generally been pretty good for a couple of years now.

Everitt, on the other hand, I was happy to keep in the side while he was kicking goals, given the way he approaches the game, but now he's not kicking them then he can't keep his place as he offers nothing else.

Reply #64
The current two ruckmen don't work because neither has much to offer as a forward. Despite the often expressed hopes about Kreuzer, he has never looked like a forward. He is our most effective ruckman ATM but does not look likely to be a dominant ruckman in the future.

This is where the coaches are in a difficult position; they need to give Phillips game time because they think he will be our best option going forward but Kreuzer offers the better option ATM. I don't think it is surprising that Kreuzer did the bulk of the ruckwork during our better games but has been much less effective when sharing the role. It is a catch 22 but, as we are not ready to achieve great heights this year, the coaching panel has probably made the right decision for the future.

We have always been best when we've had one ruckman plus Casboult. Been that way for years as none of our rucks offer anything when not on the ball. Allows us alot more flexibility when selecting a side.

Reply #65
We're at our best when Jones and Casboult both play, undefeated in fact.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #66
Everitt was tagging sidebottom so he was never going to have a big game offensively.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #67
Been calling for everitts head for a while now. Even when he was kicking goals, a lot of them came in junk time or were a result of something up the field. He rarely has taken any contested marks and converted of late, hasn't been winning many contests if any.

Plenty of people suggesting we need mids in the next draft and outside pace. Well, while that might be true, i reckon there is an obvious hole (or 4) that is being overlooked.

Here is a hint.
15 - Everitt
14 - Gibbs
14 - Wright
13 - Lamb
11 - Casboult
9 - Walker
8 - Jones
7 - Armfield
7 - Murphy
6 - Thomas

That is our top 10 goal kickers for 2016 after 14 games!

Of our 23 goal kickers this season, only 2 of them average more than a goal a game.
Everitt 1.5 - has only kicked 2 from his last 4 games and should be dropped and
Jones 1.6 - who was dropped for giving us nothing as well.

We are SCREAMING out for a key forward who has a better than 50% chance of scoring a goal from 20m out directly in front (Casboult!)

Reply #68
We're at our best when Jones and Casboult both play, undefeated in fact.

Agree... the role Jones and then Gorringe played worked and would help  Levi... he played his better games getting a bit of help from Jones.

But we have ended up with Levi as a lone key forward.

Reply #69
Kruddler, the forward line is going to include Curnow, Silvagni and hopefully McKay.

We have to stick games into these guys.

Reply #70
Kruddler, the forward line is going to include Curnow, Silvagni and hopefully McKay.

We have to stick games into these guys.

The forward line was going to include Hartlett and Edwards.
The forward line was going to include Mitchell and Watson

The forward line currently has nothing. Until we get something, we'd be best to assume it is still nothing rather than waste time waiting for players to get delisted before trying again.

Reply #71
Last night Casboult was playing more CHF where I thought he would be better but he butchered his opportunities there too.

So with Casboult out of the forward 50 that left White and Silvagni as our key forwards and that's why we couldn't kick a goal for over a half of football.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #72
Last night Casboult was playing more CHF where I thought he would be better but he butchered his opportunities there too.

So with Casboult out of the forward 50 that left White and Silvagni as our key forwards and that's why we couldn't kick a goal for over a half of football.

Casboult did indeed play mostly at CHF but he seemed devoid of any confidence or clue. We spoke at the game of the need for him to be prowling much nearer the goal. He then indeed did take a very good mark close in but then proceeded to miss the soda of a kick from about 30 meters out, pretty much directly in front.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #73
Casboult did indeed play mostly at CHF but he seemed devoid of any confidence or clue. We spoke at the game of the need for him to be prowling much nearer the goal. He then indeed did take a very good mark close in but then proceeded to miss the soda of a kick from about 30 meters out, pretty much directly in front.

Casboult should be played in the goal square, as a roving marking target, and a bit of ruck work.  Nothing else. The main forwards should be any combination of : White, Walks, Wright, jack, Everitt, Jones, Jaksch, with cameos by any of our bigger players just to mix it up : Rowe, Krooz, Phillips - heck even give Korchek a run.

If you must play Cas at CHF, get guys like 2E running past so he doesn't have to take a shot.

EDIT : assuming the rookie rules allow Korchek to play.

Reply #74
The forward line was going to include Hartlett and Edwards.
The forward line was going to include Mitchell and Watson

The forward line currently has nothing. Until we get something, we'd be best to assume it is still nothing rather than waste time waiting for players to get delisted before trying again.
Good point, putting our hopes into untried players will again leave egg on our faces. Need a seasoned forward to anchor the forward line. , still a reason we should have kept Waite