Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 15: Post Game Frustrations: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 32555 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 15: Post Game Frustrations: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #90
Everitt did a reasonable job on Sidebottom but it seems most here have idea of what his role was and expected him to kick goals.

You cannot just defend, in AFL you have to create.

He had opportunity to influence contests and help team-mates and refused multiple times. On at least two of those occasions he was nowhere near Sidebottom and had run forward to make a 2 on 1 in our favour then decided to run off the contest like a rover. This bloke is about 195cm, we don't need him pretending to be Jeff Garlett.

But if he wants to be a Garlett type, he better watch Garlett more closely because Garlett is harder at the contest! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #91
Everitt did a reasonable job on Sidebottom but it seems most here have idea of what his role was and expected him to kick goals.

Everitt 10 possies vs Sidebottom 22...didnt expect him to kick goals but for us to win he has to get more ball...Greenwood had 23 tagging Gibbs(22).. Curnow and Treloar 23 each....

Reply #92
I thought Curnow did the job on Treloar but Pendlebury destroyed us ...Greenwood(23 possies/9tackles/one goal) did the job on Gibbs IMO and while Gibbs was reasonable I thought Greenwood intimidated him and  reduced his effectiveness including a forearm to the face which Gibbs didnt respond hard enough to IMO.
I think Gibbs has been good but both he and Murphy need some help in the rough stuff dept and I reckon someone like Robbo out there last night might have made life easier for Gibbs.

We desperately need a couple of quality mids to step up when Gibbs, Murphy or Cripps is tagged.  Someone like Gowers to hit the pack hard and take out the tagger wouldn't go astray either.

I use binoculars when the action is a bit far off and I saw Gibbs land a couple of good ones on Greenwood.  Hopefully they were subtle enough to avoid MRP scrutiny.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #93
We desperately need a couple of quality mids to step up when Gibbs, Murphy or Cripps is tagged.  Someone like Gowers to hit the pack hard and take out the tagger wouldn't go astray either.

I use binoculars when the action is a bit far off and I saw Gibbs land a couple of good ones on Greenwood.  Hopefully they were subtle enough to avoid MRP scrutiny.

We got the double whammy with Cripps...seemed to be a rotation tag on him at the clearances and then Pendlebury slipped away wide and became Cripps man...reckon the coach has to do a bit more to help Cripps in that situation as he doesnt have the mobility to keep up with players in the open.
Gibbs didnt hit him hard enough....need to get Danny Green  down to the club for a few sessions... ;)

Reply #94

Everitt had 10 posessions @60% DE and 4 clangers....which means he turned it over 40% of the time he had it.

Sidebottom had it 21 times @ 81%. He was 5th in posessions from the pies.

If a reasonable job is getting half the possessions and less than half the effort, then good job for everitt. Personally, i don't see it.
I don't expect him to kick goals, i hope he does, but don't expect it.
What i do expect is that he acts like a senior footballer who wants to play senior football. He avoids physical contact more than anyone on our list, including an 18yo first gamer taken 50+ picks later than him in the draft. He turned the ball over more than anyone on a night where everyone was turning it over.

I would've preferred to see Sidebottom be left alone all night and pick someone who actually makes a contribution of his own over what Everitt offered us last night.....and for the majority of the season really.

You might be happy with his game, but i reckon you'd be the only one.

Reply #95
He held sidebottom early and was obviously released later. Did anyone watch the game or do they just look at stats?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #96
We got the double whammy with Cripps...seemed to be a rotation tag on him at the clearances and then Pendlebury slipped away wide and became Cripps man...reckon the coach has to do a bit more to help Cripps in that situation as he doesnt have the mobility to keep up with players in the open.
Gibbs didnt hit him hard enough....need to get Danny Green  down to the club for a few sessions... ;)

It must be hard to keep your cool and not just let one rip - like Yarran did.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #97
Bolton had a poor night at the office and to be frank has had a poor month. If we can praise him for when we play well then he has to accept blame for our poor performances. Last night was one of the worst games I've ever seen. We were down by 3 goals in the last but it felt like 10 and everyone knew we couldn't come back.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #98
He held sidebottom early and was obviously released later. Did anyone watch the game or do they just look at stats?

Yeah, everitt kicked it directly to the opposition on at least 2 occasions when we were trying to muster up a forward thrust.

He did more for the opposition than he did for us last night.

Reply #99

Everitt spent much of the first half on the wing/midfield and, at times, running with Sidebottom (we were playing a 5 man forward line).  In the second half, Everitt spent more time in the forward line but still rotated through the midfield (or stood still).

There seemed to be a bit of confusion about who was doing what with Everitt, Kerridge and others pointing to where someone else should be.

Reply #100
Bolton had a poor night at the office and to be frank has had a poor month. If we can praise him for when we play well then he has to accept blame for our poor performances. Last night was one of the worst games I've ever seen. We were down by 3 goals in the last but it felt like 10 and everyone knew we couldn't come back.

Some folk near me started to leave and one bloke shouted, "Sit down, we can still win this!"

Wishful thinking perhaps but he got a few laughs and no-one else left  :)

Reply #101
DJC obviously watched the game.

I never said Everitt was great just not as terrible as everyone else was making out considering he was tagging( a different role) for most of the night.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #102
My wife texted me 36 seconds left and I was on the Monash 10 min later.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #103
DJC obviously watched the game.

I never said Everitt was great just not as terrible as everyone else was making out considering he was tagging( a different role) for most of the night.

I don't care if his role was waterboy, he was a liability out there and doesn't deserve to run out next week based on that game.

Reply #104
Half the team were liabilities.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!