Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 16: Post Game Pessimism: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 22906 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 16: Post Game Pessimism: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #60
We are still 3 or 4 drafts away from having a list that can get us to the very top. I fear there will be significantly more pain for us in the next 2 seasons.

Reply #61
The ruck and midfield are where we go missing way, way too often.

To focus on the forward line is the easy cheap cop out.

Best forward line in the comp would be crap# when the get the 4th rate delivery that our mids deliver.

The I50 count means jack when we're so so slow to get it in there then target the Bolt who has 2 or 3 hanging off him.

Bad coaching and poor team selections - makes life hard.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Re: Rd 16: Post Game _________: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #62
I'm not upset or bitter & twisted by todays result, I expected us to lose, they are a class above us all round.

I thought the 'measured' difference between the two teams was around 7-8 goals so for them to win by 10 says to me that they played a better game than expected. They did have a huge carrot to play for though, a huge jump up the ladder into 3rd place, they saw us as good cannon fodder and took the opportunity when it was presented.

For us, well it wasn't a pretty day at the office but as I've said all along, the win/loss ratio really means jack-crap this season, it's the onfield effort and development of the young players is all that matters.

Silvagni showed he has a future as long as he trains hard and maintains his work ethic. Weitering had a 'down' day but he has shown more than many a first-year player so he is excused from scorn tonight, he may be tiring from a long season though.

There were a few seasoned senior players who let us down today with poor foot skills and/or decision-making, others were just not sighted for the majority of the match. These players will be dispensed with as soon as suitable replacements are sought or retirement catches up with them, which ever comes first. I don't need to name names, I've listed them so many times previously that you should all be able to recite them from memory.

Entering season 2016, no-one expected us to win a game due to being wooden spooners last year plus going through such a large turnover of players. It came as a major shock to many that we snaffled six wins but facing up to serious finals contenders late in the season makes finding another win very difficult.

Games like today will happen occasionally for us in this development phase, it's how we learn from them which is the key. We just have to keep persisting and learning our craft, there may not be a lot of joy between now and the end of the season but realistically, we have exceeded all expectations already.

Bring on the off-season so we can offload 12-14 more players and bring in some classy big-bodied grunt mids and a couple more genuine key position players because that has to be the recruiting focus.

Precisely...
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #63
Went to the game.

We held our own for a half and then outclassed as you'd expect given our respective positions. I agree with many that our backs were OK. Weiters might need a rest. Docherty, Simmo, 2e were solid against a tough outfit. Plowman is developing well.

When our mids aren't given great service (although effort looks high and I think Phillips athleticism will serve him as he develops), and their efficiency subsequently lags, and so it goes on to the "forwards". We really will struggle to score. Levi worked his butt off and did all that could be expected from his class. Dre, Thomas (injured),  and Walker looked underdone, as did Lamb at times.

Cripps, Curnow, and Gibbs were solid. Will be better with some hardened speed added to the mix per SOS ingenuity.

Jack and Sumner gave good effort. Looking forward to both in coming years.
Loved watching young Jack slot his first. Army was at his best again, his celebrations are so much fun. Hopefully this inspires the young guys.

In all, this is keeping it real for a club in rebuild mode.
I too am looking forward to seeing some forward structure, which will take time. Hopefully the remaining rounds will see others given a chance, and some game time together for the draftees and guns.

Go Blues.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #64
Went to the game.

We held our own for a half and then outclassed as you'd expect given our respective positions. I agree with many that our backs were OK. Weiters might need a rest. Docherty, Simmo, 2e were solid against a tough outfit. Plowman is developing well.

When our mids aren't given great service (although effort looks high and I think Phillips athleticism will serve him as he develops), and their efficiency subsequently lags, and so it goes on to the "forwards". We really will struggle to score. Levi worked his butt off and did all that could be expected from his class. Dre, Thomas (injured),  and Walker looked underdone, as did Lamb at times.

Cripps, Curnow, and Gibbs were solid. Will be better with some hardened speed added to the mix per SOS ingenuity.

Jack and Sumner gave good effort. Looking forward to both in coming years.
Loved watching young Jack slot his first. Army was at his best again, his celebrations are so much fun. Hopefully this inspires the young guys.

In all, this is keeping it real for a club in rebuild mode.
I too am looking forward to seeing some forward structure, which will take time. Hopefully the remaining rounds will see others given a chance, and some game time together for the draftees and guns.

Go Blues.

A voice of reason. 

Reply #65
I think in his media conference following the game this BB comment said it all... "We're relying on too few to get the job done at the moment."
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #66
Just back from the G. First game I have seen live this year due to ill health and work. Had a great vantage point and I had a good hard look at our group.

Top 4 team playing a BOTTOM 4 team.....Cannot believe the game has changed so much. You can waffle on about forwards as much as you like but the game now is basically a rolling scrum played inside half a ground and when the ball is in won its a major sprint to get clear up forward...

Observations -
Backline was a positive; considering our midfields lack of pressure I believe they can hold their heads up. Simmo is unbelievable.

Midfield tried but was overrun by more skill and BIGGER bodies. Thought Cripps tried hard and Curnow was his usual self. MK tried his arse off and cannot have people bagging him. Gibbs, not to sure today.

Forward line is not really a forward line as they don't set up that way. Levi tried hard but  wasnt really a day for forwards!!!! Armfield great effort.

Going forward -

Glad I'm not the coach.
Need a class Ruckman...
Need a couple of line breaking midfielders who can spot a target
Goodbye Mr Everett....surely that was it today
Silvani will be great, some of his efforts today wow.

Not all doom and gloom, we have a great coach with limited cattle.......need SOS to go hard again with the draft and trade. Reckon we will turn over another 10 or so next year.

56 now and 1995 is starting to fade, be
Well put , you are right it is a running scrum these days , not a fan either, look like a bunch of buffalo running over the plains. Few  positional players , lots of inbetweeners & pretend mids. No wonder we have no natural goal kickers. Bunch of "Jack of all trades " and masters of none . I realise we are the first year of a rebuild etc , but what about the year its self? I know it will sound like " Back in my day rant " but the football in the 80's was good, 90's sped it up , had the attributes that made our game great & distinctive , great high marking, running , positions, with flair. Then the 00's came , zones of this and every description , change this , change that mould every player so they can play 20 possies , we lost so many skills we dont see any more.   Pheeew needed that , several have said in the various threads , about being a forward in our set up would be a tough ask, and so right. Can see another major shake up late this year , but please lets get players for roles to balance the team  , not a bunch of multi taskers like we have now in abundance.

Reply #67
I think in his media conference following the game this BB comment said it all... "We're relying on too few to get the job done at the moment."

Code for "Plenty of list changes to come for next year".
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #68
Attended the game, froze to death and had to move to the ground level to get out of the weather - getting too old for sitting out in the cold wind and rain these days!

No real surprises, the game and result went pretty much to expectations and have been covered already on here with depth of analysis. We must now be patient as the rest of the year plays out and the final sheep/goat sorting is done prior to trade/draft periods. Hopefully we can spike up for a couple of more wins along the way but we are seeing pretty much what you get with the team atm. I'll be going to the WCE game where  my mate thinks we may have a look in - we'll see.

Enjoyed seeing Army kick his goals and of course Jack getting his.

Noticed Eddie and Sauce being very very friendly with Bryce at the end of the match, wonder if they're on a recruiter's spotting fee?  ;)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #69
Code for "Plenty of list changes to come for next year".

Yup!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #70
Well put , you are right it is a running scrum these days , not a fan either, look like a bunch of buffalo running over the plains. Few  positional players , lots of inbetweeners & pretend mids. No wonder we have no natural goal kickers. Bunch of "Jack of all trades " and masters of none . I realise we are the first year of a rebuild etc , but what about the year its self? I know it will sound like " Back in my day rant " but the football in the 80's was good, 90's sped it up , had the attributes that made our game great & distinctive , great high marking, running , positions, with flair. Then the 00's came , zones of this and every description , change this , change that mould every player so they can play 20 possies , we lost so many skills we dont see any more.   Pheeew needed that , several have said in the various threads , about being a forward in our set up would be a tough ask, and so right. Can see another major shake up late this year , but please lets get players for roles to balance the team  , not a bunch of multi taskers like we have now in abundance.

It always looks like a Juniors game where the Ump has to keep telling everyone, "Come on boys spread out now"

Teams with fast hands in close quarters look good.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #71
Yes Blue P so much prefer the positional game , I bet there are many oterhs that feel the same, well had my rant for the day lol

Reply #74
I actually thought Levi slapped his arm then the Hollywood acting took over. ::)
2024... Moir of the same to come