Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 18: Post Game In depth Analysis and Soul Searching: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 23467 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 18: Post Game In depth Analysis and Soul Searching: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #45
I thought Boeky was ok, we don't exactly have a heap of players on the list that can play his role.

Wasn't really an outside runner's type of game today. He wasn't bad but he'd want to go a bit better than that next week. A few times I see him get worried about his opponent when he should be focusing on getting the ball.

Great run-down chase down the back flank though. That's the sort of stuff that gets the team going. Only one highlight but it was a big one.

Reply #46
BB, despite recognising the positives, was certainly not getting too excited about today's effort according to the post match presser. Emphasised again that we need to be better for longer and was critical of our 3Q effort. The culture is certainly being established particularly in terms of expected work rate. We just need to inject some more better quality talent now!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #47
Looking over game again, I think that there were 22 players today who looked interested, committed, determined and 'team first' focused. The fact that we have players of varying abilities, some who are not up to 'premiership' standard, at this stage is irrelevant. That's where our improvement has come this year.  The next set of players who arrive will have a set of 'non negotiables' of a high standard that we have not seen for years. 

Happy days are coming. 

Reply #48
He's me expecting a proper flogging and instead, we took it right up to the flag favourites (IMO). Murphy plays or Curnow doesnt get hurt and we probably win. Only saw the first half and abit of the 3rd, will watch the replay today but I liked what I saw. Effort and desperation, Sumners goal off the ground and pace to get to it were sublime. If he can get himself fit, look out. A cracking start to the game was the key I reckon, from the first bounce, we matched them in every dept except a big key fwd to stand up and kick a mini bag ie Buddy). Not a win but feels like one.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #49
We're not the only side to struggle with this but we really lack chunky, strong, fast players... all our pacy blokes are little light blokes like Boeky, Sumner and Buckley and we don't have a match for the likes of Heeney, that fast, explosive burst kind of player.  Heeney killed us in the third and our blokes with pace couldn't match his strength or attack on the ball. 

Swans are light on for outside run IMO and looked far better with Heeney up the ground.

Oh GITC, a lot of Buddy's goals were from smart forward play, but gees he cheats and sneaks forward of the contest a lot and score easy goals as a result.  I thought a lot of Swan's scoring opportunities came from space created by questionable err "handballs" across F50 arc, it craps me no end when  sides get away with that.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #50
We're not the only side to struggle with this but we really lack chunky, strong, fast players... all our pacy blokes are little light blokes like Boeky, Sumner and Buckley and we don't have a match for the likes of Heeney, that fast, explosive burst kind of player.  Heeney killed us in the third and our blokes with pace couldn't match his strength or attack on the ball. 

Swans are light on for outside run IMO and looked far better with Heeney up the ground.

Oh GITC, a lot of Buddy's goals were from smart forward play, but gees he cheats and sneaks forward of the contest a lot and score easy goals as a result.  I thought a lot of Swan's scoring opportunities came from space created by questionable err "handballs" across F50 arc, it craps me no end when  sides get away with that.

And that's why I'd like to see Billy Gowers get a game; he's hard, fast and a good size.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #51
@Prof

It was very noticeable that we really struggled to lay effective tackles on the likes of Kennedy, Heeney and Parker.

Reply #52

He gets out the back because he's smart. He's is a 197cm version of Rioli or Betts, quick and agile for his size and uses it to get out the back. Easy, cheap goals? Who cares, goals a goal.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #53
Cunningham is another bigger faster ball carrier as well.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #54
And that's why I'd like to see Billy Gowers get a game; he's hard, fast and a good size.

x2....Cripps doesnt really chase so we need another bigger mid who can play on and bring down the likes of Kennedy....
I know his form has tapered in the twos but I'd like to see him in the team and given a few games...

Reply #55
Cunningham is another bigger faster ball carrier as well.

Pacy but not overly big at 183cm, 80kg...its funny as that is 6ft tall and in years gone by he would have been seen as a decent height but in todays footy thats about the minimum entry level size.
He is in that group with Boekhorst, Tutt, Buckley who all have decent leg speed, evasive skills but lack physical strength and I think vs the Swans we missed some key tackles on players like Kennedy and Heeney purely because our players didnt have the body strength , size to bring them down...

Reply #56
Pacy but not overly big at 183cm, 80kg...its funny as that is 6ft tall and in years gone by he would have been seen as a decent height but in todays footy thats about the minimum entry level size.
He is in that group with Boekhorst, Tutt, Buckley who all have decent leg speed, evasive skills but lack physical strength and I think vs the Swans we missed some key tackles on players like Kennedy and Heeney purely because our players didnt have the body strength , size to bring them down...

Billy Gowers isn't that big at 184cm and 81kg but he looks bigger and hits hard.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #57
Billy Gowers isn't that big at 184cm and 81kg but he looks bigger and hits hard.

We definitely need a couple of really hard hitters - make those tackles stick and put some doubts into the minds of opposition ball carriers.

Reply #58
Look forward to Harry McKay playing next year. Although he'll still be well short of developed he'll certainly play some decent footy. He'll have Levi's big body with him to take the heat of the defence, which will help heaps. Levi will be eventually superseded by McKay and C.Curnow but for someone who was essentially the equivalent of pick 150, as 3rd round pick in the rookie draft, he has done a decent job holding up the key forward/ruck role while we develop other players.

Reply #59
I was most happy with our third quarter today. Sydney, who are a top 4 side, came out hard after half time and really put us to the sword. Yet we were able to withstand the onslaught and come back with two goals at the end that kept us in the game. This has been unthinkable over the past few seasons. Previously we would have just laid down and died when it got too hard. I look forward to having young fit guys having a real hard go. I think the future is bright.