Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 18: Post Game In depth Analysis and Soul Searching: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 23455 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 18: Post Game In depth Analysis and Soul Searching: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #60
I was most happy with our third quarter today. Sydney, who are a top 4 side, came out hard after half time and really put us to the sword. Yet we were able to withstand the onslaught and come back with two goals at the end that kept us in the game. This has been unthinkable over the past few seasons. Previously we would have just laid down and died when it got too hard. I look forward to having young fit guys having a real hard go. I think the future is bright.

Yes BM I thought we had done well there but BB wasn't happy and said we shouldn't have let them in! He's a hard charger alright.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #61
Any news on Charlie's knee?

Reply #62
We definitely need a couple of really hard hitters - make those tackles stick and put some doubts into the minds of opposition ball carriers.

On this... Loved Rowe chasing (OK, so it was a a really short distance, but still) and driving the big Budweiser into the deck.
If Rowe can do it, I'm hopeful anyone can ;D
I doubt we'd have seen this in recent years. If I recall, we won the tackles against the best in the business.
Agree, some don't have the strength to stick tackles. We have a few of the light-on type on the list. Would like to see us somehow land a strong body gutsy speedy Jack Steven type. He's averaging over 6 tackles this year.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #63
Id uote author=cookie2 link=topic=3031.msg164634#msg164634 date=1469319897]
We definitely need a couple of really hard hitters - make those tackles stick and put some doubts into the minds of opposition ball carriers.

On this... Loved Rowe chasing (OK, so it was a a really short distance, but still) and driving the big Budweiser into the deck.
If Rowe can do it, I'm hopeful anyone can ;D
I doubt we'd have seen this in recent years. If I recall, we won the tackles against the best in the business.
Agree, some don't have the strength to stick tackles. We have a few of the Leigh on type on the list. Would like to see us somehow land a strong body gutsy speedy Jack Steven type. He's averaging over 6 tackles this year.

That really was a moment to enjoy  :)  Rowe may not lay too many tackles but those that does make really count.

I'm not too fussed about our tackles not sticking; plenty of Swan tackles didn't stick.  I think we're not too bad for strength but we do need more speed.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #64
IMO :
Thomas at this point in his career is a honest trier, who very rarely shows flashes of class. Yes, I guess he is in our best 22 by default, but what I saw today, I don't think we missed him all that much.
Byrne, yes I suppose he is.
Everitt needs too much in favour to be useful week in week out.
Walker was horrible last year and not much better this year.
Agreed Paul, If Daisy actually gave a toss about the club he would renegotiate his contract for the last year and shave $300k off it, because quite frankly he's taking the piss on that sort of coin. Just MO
Everitt will be back in for C Curnow. I also wouldn't mind L Jones having a crack. On paper its not close to our strongest side, but show me that sort of tenacity and consistency every week and i couldn't give a stuff who they select.

Reply #65
That really was a moment to enjoy  :)  Rowe may not lay too many tackles but those that does make really count.

I'm not too fussed about our tackles not sticking; plenty of Swan tackles didn't stick.  I think we're not too bad for strength but we do need more speed.
We have to at least stick our tackles in our D50. Also, speed doesn't help when we turn the ball over then fail to tackle effectively.

Reply #66
So what of Curnow's knee? Hope the kid is ok?

Even though Buckley conked out - the addition of speed eg Buckley, Boekhurst , Armfield, Sumner (will be a A grader if can get a full pre season) really lifted our tempo.

We looked 'switched on' for the first time in over 6 weeks (discounting Q4 v the Weagles).

Sure, a few tackles were missed but ditto the Swans.

Our pressure on the ball carrier was very, very good.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #67
So what of Curnow's knee? Hope the kid is ok?

Even though Buckley conked out - the addition of speed eg Buckley, Boekhurst , Armfield, Sumner (will be a A grader if can get a full pre season) really lifted our tempo.

We looked 'switched on' for the first time in over 6 weeks (discounting Q4 v the Weagles).

Sure, a few tackles were missed but ditto the Swans.

Our pressure on the ball carrier was very, very good.

Sure, the addition of speed is great BUT we don't want to waste too much of it on chasing opposition arses. I don't care whether or not the Swans missed a few tackles - I don't want to see our guys doing it.

Reply #68
Sure, the addition of speed is great BUT we don't want to waste too much of it on chasing opposition arses. I don't care whether or not the Swans missed a few tackles - I don't want to see our guys doing it.

When we chase them like Boeky did, you get rewarded.

He has copped a lot of flack on the back of the controversial trade he was involved in, but give the kid a break, he goes alright and offers some much needed speed and puts in. We could use more like him. Just have a look at the difference Army made upon his return a few weeks back.

Reply #69

Best chase down I've ever seen by a Carlton player, could you imagine Yarran who is quicker doing that?

Going off topic here did anyone see how awesome Geelong's back line performed without Henderson on Saturday night?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #70
Sydney is the rated first in tackles this season, we're 16th.  Sydney were two below their average with 80 tackles and we were 23 above our average with 89.  If we can continue to out tackle the best in the business, I won't be all that concerned about missed tackles.

I imagine that there's a correlation between tackles attempted and missed tackles.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #71

He has copped a lot of flack on the back of the controversial trade he was involved in, but give the kid a break, he goes alright and offers some much needed speed and puts in. We could use more like him. Just have a look at the difference Army made upon his return a few weeks back.

Did not mention Boeky and whilst we're on the subject, yes his chase down and tackle were impressive. Army is also making a very valuable contribution, no argument on him. Why do you see my comments as an attack on those two?

Reply #72

Missed...gives the indication we didnt lay a finger on them, the truth is we couldnt make them stick and they broke the tackles without too much problem..

Reply #73
Missed...gives the indication we didnt lay a finger on them, the truth is we couldnt make them stick and they broke the tackles without too much problem..

Agree, that's what I was getting at. Just one example is Kennedy, admittedly a bit of a bull, who broke out out our attempted tackles with seeming ease a number of times. We need to stick our tackles especially close in to the stoppage or contested ball. Once the ball gets out to the runners and playmakers in a talented side it is a lot more difficult to defend against and we can waste a lot of energy having to chase them down - energy that we could be using to attack them.

Reply #74
Did not mention Boeky and whilst we're on the subject, yes his chase down and tackle were impressive. Army is also making a very valuable contribution, no argument on him. Why do you see my comments as an attack on those two?

You mentioned speed and chasing arses.....it reminded me of that tackle and how well Army has done since coming back. Both have speed and can chase.

Wasn't attacking you, just following on from your train of thought.