Skip to main content
Topic: JLT game 3 (Read 63122 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT game 3

Reply #121
Make no mistake, on what we have shown over the last 3 weeks no team is as far away from a premiership than us. The skill level of this group is truly embarrassing and miles away from the level required. We have a list full of hacks.

There is only a few players who deserve a spot round 1. Our on field leadership was horrible and Murphy's skill errors are terrible for a skipper who provides no example or presence on the field.

On exposed form it is going to be a very long year. I know it's the pre season but the bookies will have us favourites for the spoon for sure based on what we have shown.

Reply #122
Make no mistake, on what we have shown over the last 3 weeks no team is as far away from a premiership than us. The skill level of this group is truly embarrassing and miles away from the level required. We have a list full of hacks.

There is only a few players who deserve a spot round 1. Our on field leadership was horrible and Murphy's skill errors are terrible for a skipper who provides no example or presence on the field.

On exposed form it is going to be a very long year. I know it's the pre season but the bookies will have us favourites for the spoon for sure based on what we have shown.

x2....terrible skills, no real game plan/style, tackling poor, how many times did Fyfe evade or break tackles.....
Two shining lights from tonight were Pickett and Weitering.....how McCarthy got six goals is beyond me, didnt have to work too hard for any of them....Levi might have improved his run up but his ball drop is still poor.
Might be forced to play Liam Jones on exposed form, at least he crashes packs, attempts to mark the footy.....
Gibbs/Murphy...either just saving themselves for Richmond or very quiet....

Reply #123
364 hb, 278 kicks. - Ratio 1.3:1

Check Cripps's stats - he's running at over 2:1 hb v kicks.

Maybe I should be more worried by his team mates - at least he does something constructive.

Check out Matt Priddis and Josh Kennedy's (Syd) kick/hand ball ratio's and you'll see it isn't a huge issue. Both have much lower kick stats.

Reply #124
Very few teams, if any, will beat Freo in the West this year with Fyfe, Sandi and McCartney in form.

We went to within 4 goals without SPS, C. Curnow and a lot of players rusty as hell or simply playing badly.

Surely Thomas can't play in Rd 1?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #125
Check out Matt Priddis and Josh Kennedy's (Syd) kick/hand ball ratio's and you'll see it isn't a huge issue. Both have much lower kick stats.

Speaking of Priddis he should have a picnic with Mitchell sharing the workload..the latter had the lazy 39 disposals in his last JLT game....

Reply #126
We were beaten by not much, if we are honest with ourselves, we played pretty poorly too.

There were a few of the young guys who showed they should be good players soon enough.

We still have some older baggage to get rid of but that will happen at the end of the season.  
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #127
Much better effort and attitude than other PS games. If the mandate was give it a red hot crack but don't bust a boiler, then its a pass. 
However, our skills were just as poor as our win over freo at DS last year. We had quite a few good patches, but surprise surprise, we lacked the finishing touches. We also had a lot of patches that looked excruciatingly difficult. Only to culminate in turnovers with poor disposal.

Freo weren't flash either, but if its handed to you enough times, something comes of it :( what freo did have is a real fwd who can lead, mark, and kick true in McCarthy. 6goals, mostly set shots from ideal positions.

We showed some ability to fight back, which was promising. There was good signs of unity with some biffo here and there.

The seniors were a mixed bag.
The good.
MK, Simmo, Docherty (aside a couple of terrible kicks), Rowe were solid and what you'd expect each week. I think Rowe is adding versatility and it's serving us well. Ed was his usual. Levi was good - set shot aside. Murphy and Gibbs looked lacklustre. who knows if this is by design. Cripps. Hardly a senior but is a champion and a leader. Loved it when he took it on and had a bounce or two. Plowman, like Cripps was solid.
Please someone, give Cripps some support. Murphy tried but...

The bad
Daisy. Kerridge's disposal (otherwise his OK self). Not bad but very ordinary - a silvagni, Smedts, RP, White. Hope Smedts can build with a run of consecutive games.

The ugly
Daisy. Surely hasn't earned a R1 spot ???

The future (aside from Cripps, doc etc)
Pickett. He's got such goal sense, and like many champs, seems to have time and space. Potential star, took a couple of difficult marks against bigger bodies and made it look easy. Jack couldn't hold a mark for love nor money, but ran it out with endeavor.
Weiters  did OK fwd. He'll be a double pronged weapon in a couple of years.
Marchbank. Just class. McCreadie didn't play for long. Showed glimpses though.

And yes, strap in folks. It'll be a very long season on field. Enjoy what you see from the baby Blues.

Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #128
Loved Pickett ,  Marchbank showed quite a bit and McCreadie will be the steal of the draft.
Long way to go but some signs are encouraging.
Go Baggers

Reply #130
How Kerridge got in the best  :o
Couldn't hit the side of a barn with a bag full of wheat.
We looked like a team of triers (Murphy and Gibbs aside)
Weitering and Cripps along with Simmo and Doullherty are our only true A graders.
I mean was Murphy actually playing?
We always seem to be out classed.

We look like a bunch of school boys playing against men.
Playing to a school team plan
Coached by a school teacher.

Harsh words i know but where is the polish, where is the plan, where is the leadership.

I know,  I  know,  patience grasshopper  but sfter 16 years of rubbish and another year of it to come you start to question your sanity.

What is it when you do the same thing over and over again and expect a different outcome..... ::)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #131
What I like about Marchbank is his composure. Doesnt panic, knows what to do and has a steely resolve. Pickett could be anything but we have seen plenty of "preseason stars" go on to not strike a blow. As I said early, very messy effort, need to clean it up and add some polish. At least it wasnt a hiding. Cripps, nuff said.
The sooner we get Daisy, White and to a lesser extent Curnow out of that side, the better.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #132
As honest as some of these have been over the years, while our team still requires the services of White, Armfield, Kerridge, Thomas, Casboult, Lamb, Palmer, Smedts and sadly even Curnow, we will not be competitive and will struggle to win more then a few games this year. Only early days but the recruiting of Smedts and Palmer is odd to say the least. 

The above list butcher the ball way too often, miss targets, cause costly turnovers and most cannot nail simple goals. And to compound things the back ups are either kids or players with similar traits.  :'(

Not too many lists have this amount of poor ball users on the park at the same time and that's very reason above many others is why we will be a bottom 2 team.    

Reply #133
As honest as some of these have been over the years, while our team still requires the services of White, Armfield, Kerridge, Thomas, Casboult, Lamb, Palmer, Smedts and sadly even Curnow, we will not be competitive and will struggle to win more then a few games this year. Only early days but the recruiting of Smedts and Palmer is odd to say the least. 

The above list butcher the ball way too often, miss targets, cause costly turnovers and most cannot nail simple goals. And to compound things the back ups are either kids or players with similar traits.  :'(

Not too many lists have this amount of poor ball users on the park at the same time and that's very reason above many others is why we will be a bottom 2 team.  

Good post and reveals where we are at. I haven't seen the game, but can imagine the skill level and general disorder.

We are only one season and 2 drafts into what has been hinted as a 3 season rebuild. There are some green shoots already, with alot of water to go under the bridge. I get the frustration of us all, but imagine the frustration and thus patiance required of the coaches. Bolton and co are playing a long game.

This season will see the last games played for Carlton for quite a few. If things go well, some others such as armfield, curnow, white will be pushed to the margins.  The top up types such as palmer, kerridge, wright, lamb and smedts will cover the youngsters as they develop. And they will, if things go well, depart in the next 3-4 years too.

Reply #134
Thank you gents. At least the score wasn't a blowout like the previous two. Small mercies indeed.

Shawny is kind of correct, he was kicking points from 30m out directly in front instead of on the full.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!