Skip to main content
Topic: JLT game 3 (Read 62139 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT game 3

Reply #150
Main issue is a lack of run. Freo always seemed to have someone running past to take a handball and a couple of players running ahead of the ball to create space. That quick movement created so much space in their F50 at times. We barely do that at all. Without that we win nothing. You'll be surprised how much the skills improve when there's space in the F50 where forwards have the space to run onto the ball. That's what we did for most of the 6 wins we had last year. Handballs suddenly stopped finding grass, our kicking into the 50 was much better, and our forwards could actually function. Then we stopped. No matter how good your team is on paper, no run often means no win.

I reckon poor disposal into the F50 cost us 6-7 goals. We'd have a bloke on the lead and miss him with an easy pass or when we did get it right some dill would drop it. Often resulted in a goal at the other end.

Hopefully everything above is a practice match attitude problem.

Reply #151
You may well be right Jim. We had plenty of run in the Ratts days and actually looked half decent.

Reply #152
Well, to this point, at least the score makes it look competitive, which is better than the previous two hit outs.

What's Levi's kicking look like ? Anyone see any changes, improvements etc. ?

Thanks

He did everything right in the lead up to his kick until the ball drop. I think it nearly fell sideways onto his foot.

He actually rucked well when he was in there last night. A few of his taps landed nicely against much bigger opponents. Problem was he become a true Carlton ruckman last night, tapped ok but then did sweet fk all up forward and around the ground. He did have a good first game though so hopefully just a bad night.

Reply #153
You may well be right Jim. We had plenty of run in the Ratts days and actually looked half decent.

It's the one basic, no run, no win. It's like footy 40 yrs ago. It's a running game. You can still do the things you need to do if you wanted to focus on the defensive aspects but once you have the ball, run and create something.

Reply #154
He did everything right in the lead up to his kick until the ball drop. I think it nearly fell sideways onto his foot.

He actually rucked well when he was in there last night. A few of his taps landed nicely against much bigger opponents. Problem was he become a true Carlton ruckman last night, tapped ok but then did sweet fk all up forward and around the ground. He did have a good first game though so hopefully just a bad night.

Thanks Jim.

Reply #155
It's the one basic, no run, no win. It's like footy 40 yrs ago. It's a running game. You can still do the things you need to do if you wanted to focus on the defensive aspects but once you have the ball, run and create something.

Indeed.

Reply #156
Re; Weiters fwd v back

The impression I get listening to Bolts is this. He's likely to become a star in both ends (one man bookends,, ). They will develop his skills, physical and mental, for the divergent roles progressively. As we're not in the mix just yet, this will occur over the next couple of years.

The pace will that which suits his development. Work in progress. Short term individual development will be prioritized. Longer term the team will benefit - - double time. At that stage (2019 on) we'll be emerging contenders. Of course, that assumes the much improved recruiting strategy continues.

For mine, I'm happy to watch him master his craft without too much expectation this year. I also expect that his professionalism will result in rapid growth. The individual and team will benefit incrementally. Exciting viewing for us all ;D
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #157
Re; Weiters fwd v back

The impression I get listening to Bolts is this. He's likely to become a star in both ends (one man bookends,, ). They will develop his skills, physical and mental, for the divergent roles progressively. As we're not in the mix just yet, this will occur over the next couple of years.

The pace will that which suits his development. Work in progress. Short term individual development will be prioritized. Longer term the team will benefit - - double time. At that stage (2019 on) we'll be emerging contenders. Of course, that assumes the much improved recruiting strategy continues.

For mine, I'm happy to watch him master his craft without too much expectation this year. I also expect that his professionalism will result in rapid growth. The individual and team will benefit incrementally. Exciting viewing for us all ;D

Forward, especially early when Casboult will be required to be our back up ruckman. Probably leave him there. As much as Levi's done a decent job as a 3rd round rookie pick, Weitering is a class above him. Levi would do better as the 2nd forward.

Reply #158
An unfortunately accurate assessment.

On the other hand, if Curnow would be worthy if he were to limit himself to long kicking or hand-balling to someone who could kick reliably; he is a major liability when trying to pass the ball by foot.
Yes...I love Ed, he bleeds Blue, tries his guts out...but he just gives it back to the opposition time and time again....I'd tear my hair out if I had any >:( :o

Reply #159
re: Cripps....was great last night but we have zero backup for him...if he doesnt play we will be hammered by most teams...we needed to get some backup at trade/draft time but didnt....
Agreed EB....although we haven't seen SPS yet, I have seen Will Brodie for GC and he's been great for a 1st year....went at 9 and could've been ours...anyway, we've made our bed now....

Reply #160
Just watched the replay.

Pickett: A keeper
Lamb: For an opportunist forward he had the chance and couldn't capitalize. Out
Back six: Just keep them together
Thomas: No
Mid field: never got first use of the ball when Sandy was in the ruck
J Silvagni: never in it, looked lost
Palmer, Smedts, White: required players...at this stage.
Kerriridge:  A worry
Murphy and Gibbs:  Will increase intensity in Round 1
Cripps:  In the starting blocks, ready to go.
Simpson:  Essential
Missed shots and turnovers: The difference

Richmond will not dominate the ruck and give their on ballers first use.  Early season fatigue and heat will not be a factor (mistakes happen when you're tired.....and when you lack skill,)  Ed Curnow will be given a specific task and that's his bread and butter. Charlie C will be back.  We should bring Cunningham back in for pace and see if Sumner can do what Lamb hasn't been able to do.

There were signs that have me feeling positive about Round 1

Reply #161
And...this is why you are our Leader Lods.
Great logical post! :)

Indeed.
We also understand that different clubs approach PS with their own goals.
I'm just hoping Lods  logic doesn't apply equally across clubs (i.e. Fyfe, Neale + 20% gets scary). Otherwise we're in for a long painful year ;)
No doubt this is a variable multifactorial puzzle. Some factors will follow predictably others totally unpredictable.

Either way, I hope our young guys are given optimal development opportunities, our interim players (and staff) maintain intensity and professionalism, and our recruiting stays the course of 'class in, can't dispose efficiently out'. Oh.... and I also hope my fellow blue baggers remain patient, enjoy the ups, tolerate the downs, and unite with the passion that is Carlton.

Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #162

Same amount of run as today. It just looked like we had more because it was all one way. ;)

Reply #163
Same amount of run as today. It just looked like we had more because it was all one way. ;)

We did have alot more run back then than now but yes, it was probably a bit much one way. The issue has been is we can never seem to get the right balance of offence and defence. Been like that for 10 years. The style under Ratts gets you into finals, maybe potential top 4 back in those days, but premierships come with the ability to go back and defend too.

Reply #164

You're a cheeky minx kruddler - and very consistent.

It might've been one way, but we were competitive, and we haven't looked as good since, and certainly not before.

I would gladly take that era over the drivel that we've served up since (with a few notable exceptions).