Skip to main content
Topic: JLT game 3 (Read 62153 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT game 3

Reply #165
re: Weitering forward or back.....was in the back only camp but now I want him groomed as a key forward....we have enough backs and he is too talented not to be played forward IMO. Finds space and can work up the ground as well as be a marking target.....no brainer that he has to play forward in a team devoid of Forwards with know how..

Reply #166
You're a cheeky minx kruddler - and very consistent.

It might've been one way, but we were competitive, and we haven't looked as good since, and certainly not before.

I would gladly take that era over the drivel that we've served up since (with a few notable exceptions).

Jimbo just covered it above.

Do you want to be consistent finalists without winning one?
Or do you want to win a flag?

Ratts got us finals, sure. But there was a reason he was (perhaps) harshly done by...it was believed he couldn't take us to the next step. Which, in the end, is everything.

Reply #167
Jimbo just covered it above.

Do you want to be consistent finalists without winning one?
Or do you want to win a flag?

Ratts got us finals, sure. But there was a reason he was (perhaps) harshly done by...it was believed he couldn't take us to the next step. Which, in the end, is everything.

The problem is that once we sack them we'll never, never know :(

Reply #168
Because of our very own collection of "goons in sector 7g", we'll never know what would've happened in 2013, had Ratts stayed.

Ratts made us competitive, pure and simple. Each one of our losing finals was played interstate. Losing margins, 5 points, 7 points, 3 points. You are aware that before he got there, we finished 16th, 16th and 15th ?

The same people who believed he couldn't keep us improving are the ones who thought Mick could. I'll leave it at that.

2011 SF - In a game without Gibbs and Krooz, and a forward line with Setana and Thornton, against a full strength ? WCE team. Dodgy umpiring.

Final quarter - Judd kicks out of D50, straight to a WC player - handball to Hurn - goal. Game over, Gulshan Grover. Every moment in an AFL game contributes to the final result. I have cherry picked one very specific moment in order to make a point.

For those of you who may have been dragged to one too many Hollywood Rom Coms (possibly by the promise of more sexy time), you may notice the story is usually similar. The main character spends the entire movie searching for the righr person, only to find they have been right in front of them all along.

Booya.

Reply #169
re: Weitering forward or back.....was in the back only camp but now I want him groomed as a key forward....we have enough backs and he is too talented not to be played forward IMO. Finds space and can work up the ground as well as be a marking target.....no brainer that he has to play forward in a team devoid of Forwards with know how..
This is exactly the message I got from Bolton's recent press conference. I expect he will play almost exclusively key forward in 2019 and beyond. But we don't want to throw him under the bus too soon, especially the way we bring the ball inside 50 at the moment. Need to build a competitive midfield first

Reply #170
One of the many worries has to be the form of mid sized half forward / wingers.

Pickett was the stand out last night and needs to be given a good run at it to get his tank up to speed. But he has a lot of tricks and is one of the few with a real touch of class about what he does. He knows where the goals are and looks like a smart player with lovely skills.

But other than him there has been very little shown that demands selection. Lamb, Boek, Thomas, Silvagni have all struggled big time, and Sumner can't even get a game. Silvagni has been a big disappointment for me in the two games he has played - he has looked off the speed and lost at times. As a Half Forward in the modern game you need a huge workrate and be both an offensive and defensive threat. I worry a little whether he has the endurance to play that position at the moment?

Reply #171
I've been in the Weitering forward camp since the West Coast game last year when he helped turn the game in our favour on one leg.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #172
I've been in the Weitering forward camp since the West Coast game last year when he helped turn the game in our favour on one leg.

I've got him forward at 3/4/2016. :D

Weitering at CHF....(if we're giving him an education let's give him a well rounded one...there's nothing to lose)

Can anyone beat that ;D

Reply #174
It's not hard to take credit for the bleeding obvious ;) :D
Weitering will be our Pavlich.
He needs to be developed at both ends of the ground

Reply #175
Palmer, Smedts, SPS, Pickett, Marchbank and Fisher should all play Rd 1. Add C. Curnow too.

Anyone who says those 7 don't considerably improve our best 22 are kidding!

All will get better as they play more in the Navy Blue.

So, White, Daisy, Army, maybe even SOJ get pushed out.....ED Curnow - gee you blokes are quick to condemn....

Again, Sandi smashes us in the ruck, was folly not to play Korchek imo...even if only for the experience and he's a lot bigger than Special K.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #176
Palmer, Smedts, SPS, Pickett, Marchbank and Fisher should all play Rd 1. Add C. Curnow too.

Anyone who says those 7 don't considerably improve our best 22 are kidding!

All will get better as they play more in the Navy Blue.

So, White, Daisy, Army, maybe even SOJ get pushed out.....ED Curnow - gee you blokes are quick to condemn....

Again, Sandi smashes us in the ruck, was folly not to play Korchek imo...even if only for the experience and he's a lot bigger than Special K.

I'd agree with those selections...Palmer at least seemed to be able to hit a few targets when he was on.....Pickett and Marchbank are certs and I like Fisher as a player and want to see him developed.
SPS would play normally but IMO might get one in the NB's to get and prove his fitness...Smedts got a bit of footy but kicked poorly for goal...prepared to give him a few games to fix that issue..
Ed Curnow is a good Soldier but needs to hand the footy off more as his kicking is ordinary....Murphy and Gibbs should use him more and take the pressure off him to hit targets. not having a left foot doesnt help him either.

Reply #177
I'd agree with those selections...Palmer at least seemed to be able to hit a few targets when he was on.....Pickett and Marchbank are certs and I like Fisher as a player and want to see him developed.
SPS would play normally but IMO might get one in the NB's to get and prove his fitness...Smedts got a bit of footy but kicked poorly for goal...prepared to give him a few games to fix that issue..
Ed Curnow is a good Soldier but needs to hand the footy off more as his kicking is ordinary....Murphy and Gibbs should use him more and take the pressure off him to hit targets. not having a left foot doesnt help him either.
SPS surely won't be thrown straight in, hasn't had a game yet this year! Fisher is light for size, needs to be managed carefully (remember Murphy getting monstered in his first year), I would give him a few NBs games before bringing him in. The rest yes

Reply #178
Wake up Flyboy, SPS hasn't played a game, and you want to pick him .  Smedts and Palmer are spuds, they'll still get a game but if Thomas does I should get a game as well.  Shows how thin our list is if we play those blokes on a consistent basis.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #179
I expect our young boys will have games strategically managed. We certainly seem to have some classy youngsters. Their needs and capacities will vary and I expect our coaches/selectors will be cognizant of how to optimize development. I'm looking forward to seeing the 1st and 2nd year players show their wares. Hopefully most will get a good run at it, and some will shine.

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.