Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 2: Post Game Postulations: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 36545 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 2: Post Game Postulations: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #75
@rocky
Thanks for your match report. Surprisingly similar to my TV view.

Re: Finally, and I can't believe no ones mentioned this by now but did those umpires give it to us today or what? Never seen so many tackles laid by our blokes go unrewarded. Pathetic.

I thought this, and swore at the box many a time in disbelief :-[
Didn't mention it coz I thought it was my Navy bias at work. Somehow feels a little comforting to know it's a view shared. Not sure what the free differential was, but my money's on D's winning that stat by more than chance.

Go Blues

No question atackle by a Dees' player would get a free; same tackle bby one of ours...play on....saw at least half a dozen obvious frees in this vein not awarded. ThT HURTS.

Agreed also that SOJ's miss early in the last killed a lot of momentum.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #76
In regards to tackling, we didn't get free kicks because we don't pin one arm, it to do with technique and player development. The sad thing is our senior players are just as bad if not worse than the beginners.

PS; On player size and shape, our team looks much lighter this season, I'd thought so last week but comparing us to this time in 2016 we are obviously trained to be a different body shape. This year we have less bulk and more lean muscle, but we have a hardness. Excluding Levi who seems to have gone the other way we look like a team of Ken Hunters, this might be a good thing come seasons end, but it appears to have had some negative impacts on core strength or at least the ability to stay upright in tackles right at this moment.

Murphy; I gave Murphy some votes, I'd love to have given him more, but those turnovers by hand really hurt us! In both cases all he needed was a second of hesitation, half a side step, and he would have been able to deliver to advantage. I suppose the lad is gun shy now, having been thrown to the wolves too many times in his career. This is what you get when you don't look after each other on the field, to change Murphy's behaviour is probably too late now, the behaviour is ingrained and he is only a little bloke. Fearing being pummelled by the likes of Hogan is fair enough, especially when you've been surrounded by team-mates who run away most of your career! (Take note those wanting the young ones thrown in the deep end!)  Which is why it was so good seeing Weiters redress the left hook from Lewis on Crippa. ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #77
We can probably expect two or three goals from Silvagni and Weitering most weeks and if that was the case yesterday we probably win.
We won't win many and it's unlikely that we can knock off a good side, but we'll win a few.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #78
We can probably expect two or three goals from Silvagni and Weitering most weeks and if that was the case yesterday we probably win.
We won't win many and it's unlikely that we can knock off a good side, but we'll win a few.

When Weitering arrived at Carlton I made the analogy to Harry Taylor, possibly even better than Taylor.

Keep this paragraph in mind when considering where to play Weitering.
Harry Taylor back where he made it happen. The coach will probably say it’s horses for courses, yet Taylor’s return to the defence after yet another so-so performance as a key forward gives Chris Scott something to ponder. Taylor looks lost as a key forward, as he was against the Kangas and was moved to defence during the third quarter. Then in succession he marked over Majak Daw, spoiled Daw and then marked in front of Daw. The query will be Taylor’s pace, but gee he looks as ease as a defender.

We are going to fork up a A Grade attacking defender, a defender described in his draft year as possibly the best intercept mark ever to come out of the draft, and we are doing it just because "our club" hasn't an effective KPF!

Wake up to yourself Carlton, don't be a goose, Weitering forward is a very short term decision! In the media you stated you'd let Weitering settle and mature as a defender, in practice it didn't even make it to the first bounce!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #79
When Weitering arrived at Carlton I made the analogy to Harry Taylor, possibly even better than Taylor.

We are going to fork up a A Grade attacking defender, a defender described in his draft year as possibly the best intercept mark ever to come out of the draft, and we are doing it just because "our club" hasn't an effective KPF!

Wake up to yourself Carlton, don't be a goose, Weitering forward is a very short term decision! In the media you stated you'd let Weitering settle and mature as a defender, in practice it didn't even make it to the first bounce!

Marchback forward then? :o
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #80
Forward line is a complete & utter mess, so easy to defend against. Weitering wasted down there as our midfield continue to butcher it forward.

As others have said, worst offenders yesterday were the experienced brigade continually turning the friggin' ball over with brain-fade gifts to the opposition. Most of Murphy's gut running yesterday was him trying to atone for a turnover he'd just committed.

Matty Wright - what an awesome pick-up he's been, our most dangerous forward by the length of the Flemington straight.

Reckon we might have found a couple in Marchbank & Macreadie......both very similar body shapes, with Marchbank a 12 month advanced version of Macreadie. Plowman's first half was poo, but his second half was excellent.

Charlie Curnow: no thanks, not for now....
Dennis Armfield: no thanks, 1 year contact and this is what you produce?
Levi Casboult: having to play him in the ruck is killing his form.
Jack Silvagni: zero poise, panic-merchant, horrible user.....*sigh*
Simon White: I've gone in to bat for this bloke ad nauseum over the years.....but my patience is starting to wear thin.....

Can't leave the team unchanged for this week, simply cannot.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #81
Marchback forward then? :o

No!

If we want to cook somebody in our F50 then the choices are obvious. Casboult, Jaksch and Jones. We just need to accept the pain and let the kids develop, we'll stumble across the occasional line in games using any of those three but we won't win many and we won't look slick!

They have no future so we won't be damaging them in any way!

We can just tell the kids to kick it to where the forwards should be heading, and don't worry about the chook leads and rabbit runs that crew normally deliver. If I were coach I'd be telling the kids to sit the ball on the defenders head just short of Casboult, Jones or Jaksch 100 times a game! Let them turn the opposition into stepladders as often as possible mark or not mark makes no difference!

All the kids have great potential, as long as we don't deep fry them before they make the cut! In the interim we must inflict as much mental fear and damage to the opposition as possible.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #82
We really need a few blokes with some crap in them, we did well enough today to get the Dees worried enough to start sniping but seriously, Lewis should have been decked.  Off the ball, intentional, three weeks minimum if the MRP are half serious.

Still carry too much dead wood and passengers.  Too many can't tackle, are fumbly and use the ball very poorly.

Can someone answer me this?  Why wasnt it a free kick???

Reply #83

Do we need Weitering, Marchbank, Plowman and Macredie in the back 6?
Rowe and White are there now as well and on form Rowe isn't going anywhere, move Weitering there and it's the land of the giants and a gift to every half decent small forward in the competition.
I take your point though and I think we should roll the dice with Curnow, Silvagni and McKay forward and hope that Pickett and the like develop as crumbers.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #84
No!

If we want to cook somebody in our F50 then the choices are obvious. Casboult, Jaksch and Jones. We just need to accept the pain and let the kids develop, we'll stumble across the occasional line in games using any of those three but we won't win many and we won't look slick!

They have no future so we won't be damaging them in any way!

We can just tell the kids to kick it to where the forwards should be heading, and don't worry about the chook leads and rabbit runs that crew normally deliver. If I were coach I'd be telling the kids to sit the ball on the defenders head just short of Casboult, Jones or Jaksch 100 times a game! Let them turn the opposition into stepladders as often as possible mark or not mark makes no difference!

All the kids have great potential, as long as we don't deep fry them before they make the cut! In the interim we must inflict as much mental fear and damage to the opposition as possible.

Yes. Weitering back to defence.

Casboult has to ruck  so I would bring in Jones . That's how desperate we are up forward.
While Jones is not the long term answer and will most likely be gone next year, we don't have anybody else apart from him or Jaksch.
Leigh Matthews made the point that at this stage of his career Weitering should be playing in defence. I agree with him.

Jones is big and strong and does have a go.

While SPS, Pickett and Macreadie are all going well, as DP said " you are unlikely to win an AFL game if you play 3 first year players in the side together. Hard to drop one of them right now though.

Charlie back to the twos to regain some form and confidence.

Army is close to the end too.

We need to make changes this week.

Daisy's second half was good so that should save him this week.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #85
I must have watched a different game.

Was impressed with the endeavor and heart today. Melbourne took till 20 mins into the last to put the game in the bag. Many on here predicted this mob will definitely play finals and made a good outfit look poor last week.

I know it's difficult to be positive when you have a loss but we must remember we had SOJ, C Curnow, Marchbank, SPS, mcCredie and Pickett all in today and curnow aside thought the rest were very serviceable. SOJ is the veteran of this list with 10games!!!

Hard to win with 6 players under 10 games.

Add in Weitering, plowman and cripps as more young players yet to notch 50 games and that's a very young team today.

While I'm disappointed with some of the costly errors from senior players and to lose yet again but I saw enough today to say we are tracking ahead of where I thought we would be.

I'm happy with the kids progress.

A bit of perspective needed folks.

That sounds like the game I was at  :)

I was much happier with yesterday's effort than the Richmond game.  We really had a chance for an unexpected win but lost momentum when Murphy turned the ball over.

I'm really pleased with Plowman; he seems to have stepped up a notch from last season and I feel confident that he will end up with the ball whenever it's in his vicinity.  It's probably just as well because Docherty has put in a couple of shockers.  It's uncharacteristic of him to be easily out-positioned and make poor decisions, and his disposal has been worse than usual.  Hopefully he will get back to his best in the coming weeks.

I watched the game with a neutral observer and he was very impressed with Plowman and Marchbank and reckons that Pickett, Sammo and Macreadie will be very good.

I don't really follow the criticism of Casboult; he worked really hard off the ball, marked well and negated Gawn when Kreuzer had a spell.  Some very poor umpiring cost him a couple of opportunities.

My grandsons had a great day.  The 7 year old kicked a goal and the 5 year old carried the ball from one end to the other.  Unfortunately, he didn't bother to take a bounce   :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #86
On Docherty, I have this uneasy feeling he is suffering the David Teague or    Corey McKernan Best and Fairest syndrome.
Burst onto the scene and then disappeared.
I'm hoping because he is younger than the other two this is not the case.
Only two games in... so there is still time  :)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #87
On Docherty, I have this uneasy feeling he is suffering the David Teague or    Corey McKernan Best and Fairest syndrome.
Burst onto the scene and then disappeared.
I'm hoping because he is younger than the other two this is not the case.
Only two games in... so there is still time  :)

Last season he had Weitering and Tuohy down there keeping structures around him. Tuohy whether you think he was effective or ineffective had experience. Having Marchbank new and Macreadie puts a lot of extra focus on Docherty, and that is exacerbated by the slowing down of Simmo.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #88
I thought Docherty was very good yesterday, he was caught out a few times but only because he was attacking the game and trying to set up a win.
He's a naturally attacking player so he'll always make his fair share of mistakes, but the good far outweighs the bad IMO.

Reply #89
Two options if we're going to send Weitering back.

1) Marchbank forward for a game or two to see how he goes.

2) Rowe goes forward permanently and let the combination of Weitering, Marchbank and Plowman settle. If this rebuild is to take as long as anticipated Rowe is probably not going to be a piece of the final puzzle. If we go this route I'd also send White forward as another mature body.

Youngsters back...old guys forward...and rotate the young forwards through there with a bit of support.