Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 2: Post Game Postulations: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 35968 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 2: Post Game Postulations: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #105
I understand the need to get the kids a win or two, but I'm in complete accord with Matthews.

Although I'm not a big fan of going too defensive, see Ross Lyon, I do agree you have to stop opponents scoring before you solve your own scoring problems.

I am leaning towards that myself now. Let's build what looks like becoming pretty much a gun defence this year and put it on to the other areas to improve.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #106
Just heard that sniper LEWIS got 3 weeks yippee ,also Hogan got 2 weeks . :D :)

Reply #108
Problem being is that I only saw them make a couple of mistakes that favoured us (Rowe infringed in a marking contest deep in defense and Thomas was borderline infringing in a marking contest against Jack Watts resulting in a dropped mark) and I saw some inconsistent calls that lead directly to score involvements favouring the Dees in their offensive 50's whilst we sit there and get free kicks paid to us for infringing in a marking contest where we have held the mark because that levels the free kick count with no interference in play.

Now that I have mentioned that, because I certainly am not a "we woz robbed" brigade, good teams find a way to win in spite of inconsistent umpiring, but it doesnt mean that we can't complain about it when we notice it.

@LP I am 100% with you on the in the back decision against Thomas.

What kills me the most is how the commentary team are of the opinion that the umpires are stiffing our opponents for free kicks when they do finally pull them up, and they are pretty happy to point out our "skill errors" when the umpires stuff up and pay the free kick against us like when Thomas tackled Jetta.

Thry, you'd be having a very interesting conversation with any typical Dees supporter, that's all I can say.

The fact that good teams find a way is absolutely the most salient point in all this. The ability to find the mental resilience and fortitude to overcome dodgy umpiring decisions, your teammates letting you down etc. is absolutely critical. The ability to persevere through those things, keep your head up, your mind focused, not get down on yourself or your teammates, roll up your sleeves a bit more and try harder, is a defining element of good teams on a learning curve. It's not unreasonable to postulate that less skillful teams actually require more mental resilience than their more skillful counterparts.

Reply #109
On the Levi free I think he was duded, I'm not sure it was even there. From my viewing angle it looked like the umpire threw the ball up over Casboult's head and he basically held his ground under it and shoved Gawn in the chest. Gawn played it up for the umpires. If the umpires think that is fair then ruckmen should start 5m back and run straight into their opponent staging for the free.

I don't understand how that was a free kick... Gawn jumped into Casboult, and bounced off his shoulder... Casboult held his ground, barely moved.

Against Richmond, Casboult got bundled out of the way, Nankervis took the ball and kicked a goal.

Reply #110
Just heard that sniper LEWIS got 3 weeks yippee ,also Hogan got 2 weeks . :D :)

Happy with those - the less of those dog acts marring our game, the better.

Reply #111
I don't understand how that was a free kick... Gawn jumped into Casboult, and bounced off his shoulder... Casboult held his ground, barely moved.

Against Richmond, Casboult got bundled out of the way, Nankervis took the ball and kicked a goal.

Yes, it's the inconsistency that we all can't stand. Either it is or it isn't, but it can never be variable!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #112
AFLCOM reporting Cripps has a Broken Jaw....FARK

Reply #113
If Cripps has a fractured jaw  minor or not I wouldnt play him this week .The Cheats will go after his jaw all day ,he will be a huge  loss but if we play him and the break is worse ,all hell will occurr  

Reply #114
How the f... can a fractured jaw be treated as "medium impact".

CFC shouldn't let this rest! Disgusting.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #115
8 weeks Lewis, weak as piss dog act.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #116
8 weeks Lewis, weak as piss dog act.

Agree...scumbag player, always remember his weak hit on Goldstein....needs dealing with next time to make a statement, we have to get tougher
on snipers and give some of what they give to us back.....

Reply #117
No wonder Weits, who is normally Mr. Calm, was so animated. Probably heard that horrible 'crack' noise.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #118
Intentional.  High.  High damage.  And that is only three weeks?

To get a real penalty did he have to shoot Cripps or something?

MRP = total joke.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?