Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 5: Post Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 51922 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 5: Post Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #105
I noticed that Andy McKay was in the box last night (as he was last game) with headphones on and obviously communicating with the bench.  Are we a coach down at the moment or is Macca there to free up one of the coaches to do something more productive?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #106
I noticed that Andy McKay was in the box last night (as he was last game) with headphones on and obviously communicating with the bench.  Are we a coach down at the moment or is Macca there to free up one of the coaches to do something more productive?

I was surprised to see him in there as well, right next to Bolts. Is it common for a director of football to do this ? Maybe he's checking out Bolton's match day coaching nous.

Reply #107
We've had three six day turnarounds in a row. We haven't recovered from the drug cheat game so while it was ugly it was predictable.
The kids have never played in a coliseum like atmosphere like last night and the way the theme song was sung with the flag waving at the start of the game was very intimidating. We haven't played there since '14 and I hope we never play there again. :)
We'll learn from it.

Reply #108
Anyone notice Cripps being very vocal in the 1/4 time huddle.

The commenters mentioned it as well.

Haven't seen that side of him too often but I liked it.

Reply #109
Didn't he lay 8 or 9 tackles v The drug cheats?

Prior to this game his tackle numbers were 7, 4, 10, 7 so I don't know what happened last night.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #110
To summarise so far... people like the idea of a rebuild, but the practical side of it... the bit where you actually have to play kids and cop some poor results... that bit we don't like so much?

Reply #111
Spot on. Well said.

Only human nature as we watched last night to feel bitterly disappointed. As BA pointed out so well, we're at the very beginning of climbing a big mountain (after years of terrible neglect/short-sightedness) and last night we stumbled badly. I like how BB stood firm on our direction and took the failure of last night in his stride - could be a steep learning curve for him too!! I just hope the Adelaide bloke is the right mentor (mate of the CEO concerns me), personally I'd rather someone as his mentor who is/was a CFC person and carries/carried our culture/success in their blood. A Parko type... another excellent teacher. Or even a Matthews or Roos.

Juddy's back for next year as Director of Football.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #112

Charlie Curnow showed a bit - his best showing so far

Pickett was disappointing with his attack on the footy at times...picked and chose a few contests and needs to do better... has great speed but picks and chooses when to use that as well

Docherty had a shocker - only seemed useful when he went into the midfield late in the game - ineffective when kicking in after a behind - not a patch on 2E had to offer

Simpson looks like he is winding down....GC and Port both make him look a bit slow (more than a bit unfortunately), the courage is still there but I thought he struggled to keep up with the younger players.

Reply #113
Prior to this game his tackle numbers were 7, 4, 10, 7 so I don't know what happened last night.

Injured again ?

Reply #114
Ed was very ordinary...not sure what he brings these days, slow, hacker disposal, must be in the gun.

Has not been effective this season - except when an opponent takes him to the ball

Reply #115
I was surprised to see him in there as well, right next to Bolts. Is it common for a director of football to do this ? Maybe he's checking out Bolton's match day coaching nous.

He was definitely filling a role, as he did last game.  I'm not sure who usually sits there with the headphones ... Craig?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #116
And so it begins, so predictable.

Not even 1hr after the final siren we are front page in The Hun!

Fans slam AFL’s decision to fixture Carlton on Friday night after blowout against Port Adelaide

Herald Sun 22 minutes ago

THE AFL’s fixturing for Friday night matches is back on the agenda after a blowout at Adelaide Oval that saw Port Adelaide thump Carlton.

I would be happy if we were permanently excluded from Friday nights - at least until McAvaney retires or loses his voice - he never shuts up.

Reply #117
Has not been effective this season - except when an opponent takes him to the ball

Yep = Ed is struggling big time and its really hurting us.

Still remember the pics of his rig preseason and how everyone was saying he looks primed........

Reply #118

The player that concerns me most is Docherty; after a reasonable game last week, he really struggled tonight.  Perhaps not having the luxury of playing as a loose man has brought him back to the field.

He looks very fallible now that he hasn't got Tuohy backing him up in the defensive rotation.

Reply #119
He was definitely filling a role, as he did last game.  I'm not sure who usually sits there with the headphones ... Craig?

Hmm -  I wonder if doubts are starting to creep in higher up the chain, and he's been sent in there to see what's going on. As I said earlier, I cant figure out how much or how little power he has.

The Judge is good friends with SOS - SOS and McKay are ex team mates. Jack Silvagni is now on the list, with Ben to come (maybe). Craig and Trigg are ex Crows. If I were Bolts, I'd be starting to feel a little hemmed in and isolated. But I'm a touch paranoid at the moment.