Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 7: pre game protestations Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 43838 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 7: pre game protestations Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #120

I was the one suggested that Alex might get dropped not because of what he can do or cant do, but simply for team balance which is where the initial post came from.

I look at our defense, and although he performed really well, I thought he got a lot of help from our mids who slowed Sydney's forward thrusts, and our other defenders which gave him very little space to work with resulting in Buddy really going up the ground to get posessions.  Not to mention between Plowman, Marchbank (both can mind talls and smalls) Rowe, White (better on your medium, and talls) and Macreadie might come back as he looked sore, but not injured 2 weeks ago and Weitering who is potentially our best key defender (who is currently moonlighting as a forward IMHO) may see him surplus to requirements.

At the end of the day, its a great headache to have, and likewise, I dont think its highly likely he'll miss, but this is my thinking behind Alex missing if he does.

No one would blame the club if that occurred either.

I can't fault anything in that post thry. I understand that most weeks someone deserving has to miss, but I don't think it should be him.

Reply #121
I think we are going a bit overboard on Alex Silvagni, 50 games in 7 years with Freo then delisted, and Franklin had 19 touches on the weekend after all.
If one of our key forwards had that much of the ball we'd have him pencilled in for a Brownlow.
Good luck to him and he seems like a solid citizen, but easy on the hype.

I'm one who loved ASOSs game and really believe he blunted the influence of Buddy. However, we were helped by the fact that Buddy got most of his possessions well up the ground, which probably says a great deal about our whole team defense. Had Buddy got 19 possessions forward of centre he would have got a lot more than 1 goal. So, well done ASOS and well done team as a whole.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #123
If this was any other game I'd give us a 40/60 shot based of current form of the two sides.

But this is their GF. Eddie will be putting the acid on every single person at the Holden Centre this week.

They won't dare not give 1oo%

I reckon it 20/80 their way .
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #124
Until they beat Geelong their form was very average, it's 50/50 in my book.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #125

And for some reason they often beat Geelong. 6 of the last 8 games the Pies have beaten them.

Reply #126
The Ox made an interesting point this arvo; throughout his career he generally lost games that were followed by a celebratory function.  Buckley may have his work cut out getting his players to focus on the game and not the birthday party.

The Ox reckons that we'll carve them up if they're not fully focused.

I reckon we're a good chance with or without the party.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #127
The Ox made an interesting point this arvo; throughout his career he generally lost games that were followed by a celebratory function.  Buckley may have his work cut out getting his players to focus on the game and not the birthday party.

The Ox reckons that we'll carve them up if they're not fully focused.

I reckon we're a good chance with or without the party.
Make no mistake, the power brokers at our Club will be asking for some extra zing and effort from our players this week to ensure we rain on the Filths parade. One of the pleasing things about this new crop is that they don't seem to need much motivation.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #128
We pumped them on their 100th anniversary, may as well ruin their 125th as well.

Reply #129
We pumped them on their 100th anniversary, may as well ruin their 125th as well.

aaaah tradition  ;)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #130

I can't say I've watched every game, but I paid enough attention to know that almost every match they have played this season was winnable for them with poor execution being the difference between winning and losing for them.

That doesn't mean we can't beat them, but I'm not sure they're as bad as people assume based solely on results.

They are doing much better than I expected them to, but thankfully haven't been winning much.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #131
As its not a home game I'm going to buy tickets but would love to sit closer to our cheer squad.

Does anyone know which end our cheer squad will be at being an away game?

Reply #132
I can't say I've watched every game, but I paid enough attention to know that almost every match they have played this season was winnable for them with poor execution being the difference between winning and losing for them.

That doesn't mean we can't beat them, but I'm not sure they're as bad as people assume based solely on results.

They are doing much better than I expected them to, but thankfully haven't been winning much.

Pies, effort against Essendon, who we beat with some comfort in the end, was awful and they were just as poor against St.Kilda, with the Saints awful kicking kicking keeping them close. They just beat the Swans by a point, who we beat well last week. They beat Geelong but for some reason, while the Pies have been poor for a few years, they've managed to beat the Cats 6 of the last 8 games. Then again we had a comfortable win over Geelong last year too.

They've been no better than us this year.

Reply #133
David Rhys-Jones; what a legend!

“Eddie (McGuire) hates Carlton. He hates them with a passion and there would be nothing better than to see Eddie’s face look like he’s been sucking on a lemon at time-on in the last quarter,’’ he said.

“It would be a bit like that face he had when Juddy (Chris Judd) beat Swanny (Dane Swan) for the Brownlow that night (in 2011).

“We might parade our 16 cups and they can’t match that. Collingwood has always been the one to beat for me, you want to beat them no matter where you are on the ladder.”
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #134
David Rhys-Jones; what a legend!
Indeed, its what I suggested in my earlier post. If Kerr or H were to debut this week, the pre game jumper presentation will be very interesting.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time