Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 7: After Match Analysis: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 36140 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 7: After Match Analysis: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #60
Can we talk about the umpires?
Bl**dy McInerney really tried to get the Filth back in the game in that 4thQ with some very dubious decisions. If the game was closer I reckon he would've be lynched >:(
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #61
Great win yesterday against an old foe.

Must confess to not having any great dislike of collingwood, rather that the rivalry is fun and sustained.

The two clubs have an interesting history. Carlton added an extra game to their fixture that allowed collingwood to enter the VFA in 1892. And collingwood repaid the favour later in the decade by assisting carlton with our debts at the time as the depression bit hard.

Not sure what was going on yesterday with collingwood. Setting up with a spare man from the start was strange against a side that is kicking small scores.  Buckley may be on his way out, but the heart of the problem is their president, the John Coates of the AFL. Way too long for anyone and the club is rotten because of it.

But back to us. Sitting up a little higher than usual showed we are more organised than ever before. Our ability to retain shape under pressure and get to position during transition is largely the reason for the win. Silvagni and rowe were able to bookend the backline, allowing marchbank to take several intercept marks, and for docherty and simpson to get further up the ground. Switching play is thus a quicker exercise, as is centering the ball.  Our kicks forward are going in 15 metres deeper allowing us time to get forward and press.

Big round of applause to marc murphy. BOG yesterday and is becoming the captain the club needs. Credit to the club for putting in the resources and effort to him and backing him in.

Reply #62
I have said it plenty of times, he is my ALL TIME, yes ALL TIME, favorite Carlton player. If you had em all lined up against the wall to pick a side, on appearance you wouldn't pee on Simmo if he was on fire. But knowing what I know after 15 years and 260 plus games, I would pick him first every day of the week and twice on Sundays. The term heart and soul is sometimes used very loosely, however it is very apt for young Simmo.

I may be wrong but I seem to remember a very new to the club, young Simmo and perhaps DeLuca kicking a swag of goals in a night game at the G to absolutely stun the filth supporters.  I recall their supporters sitting stunned at the siren probably thinking "What the hell happened?  And how?"

Reply #63
Great post Viv. Big up from me.

Reply #64
I have said it plenty of times, he is my ALL TIME, yes ALL TIME, favorite Carlton player. If you had em all lined up against the wall to pick a side, on appearance you wouldn't pee on Simmo if he was on fire. But knowing what I know after 15 years and 260 plus games, I would pick him first every day of the week and twice on Sundays. The term heart and soul is sometimes used very loosely, however it is very apt for young Simmo.

Yes mate, he's right up there with Doully for me! Simmo is a true Blue and he's been through very dark days with us, always putting in his all! A legend dare I say.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #65
@Viv

I agree about Murphy. He even sounds more comfortable as captain now. I was impressed by his composure in his interview post match on Grandstand.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #66
@Viv

I agree about Murphy. He even sounds more comfortable as captain now. I was impressed by his composure in his interview post match on Grandstand.
I noticed this too - he seemed at ease. Cripps spoke of him in the rooms later and you can tell there's enormous respect there.

Reply #67
I just pulled out from the bottom of my drawer the 'It's my club it's personal' Tshirt from 2003 and made me think that we are only now seeing the beginnings of a sustainable playing group and a cohesive club.
Been awhile between drinks  ::)
Light at the end of the tunnel and Blue skies ahead now  ;D (With a couple of hiccups to be expected)

Reply #68
We've had our share of false dawns but I'm now starting to believe that this is the real thing.
SPS, Marchbank, Curnow, Weitering, Cripps, Plowman, Silvagni, Williamson and Fisher, all young and all outstanding prospects.
That's an awfully good core to build on, another two decent drafts and we can form a dynasty.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #69
We've had our share of false dawns but I'm now starting to believe that this is the real thing.
SPS, Marchbank, Curnow, Weitering, Cripps, Plowman, Silvagni, Williamson and Fisher, all young and all outstanding prospects.
That's an awfully good core to build on, another two decent drafts and we can form a dynasty.

And no long term, high cost contracts to limit our trading potential.
Very strong position to be in.

Reply #70
And no long term, high cost contracts to limit our trading potential.
Very strong position to be in.

We'll need to offer some decent contracts in the next few years if we want to keep all of our high quality kids.
But it's not a bad situation to be in.
Another thing we'll need to get right is deciding who we can trade out while they still have the potential tag, in the past we've kept players too long and their trade value has evaporated.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #71
Nick Graham not getting much love only made one mistake trying to center the ball. Otherwise he was massive when the heat was on early

Excellent game from Graham and not just because it was wet.

He will probably never gain the positive yardage that Simmo does but Bolton's short kicking possession game plays right into his skill set because he has always had the ability to run hard (not necessarily fast) to create space to receive a short pass and he is also good at hitting a target with a short kick.

Has never been afraid to put his body on the line but he surprised me yesterday with how well he competed over his head when the ball was kicked (too high) to him in the forward line. If he didn't mark it, he usually managed to bring the ball to ground. 

Reply #72
It amazes me that Simmo is not talked about in the same way that ppl speak of Fyfe, Pendlebury, Selwood etc.

Simmo is an out and out superstar. I'm too scared to think about what our club would have been like without him over the last 5yrs. What he has been able to do in this game, with his body type & the brave way he plays, is nothing short of incredible. He is the Quarterback of our team. He showed it again today. Composed at all times, organising (with Docherty)  and those young kids like Williamson, Ploughman and Marchbank are gonna learn so much from him.

And that goal....with the little shimmy to fool the defender........

Yes. I do have Man Love for Simmo.

What gets me about Simmo is that he has ZERO All Australians. Yup, not a single one.
Someone like Corey Enright has 6 basically playing the same role.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=I&tid1=10&playerStatus2=A&tid2=4&type=A&pid1=234&pid2=446&fid1=C&fid2=C
Tell me that based on those stats, one player should have 6 AA's and the other 0.

Perhaps Enright had some standout years by comparison? Lets look at his last 3 AA's and compare with Simmo the same year.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=I&tid1=10&playerStatus2=A&tid2=4&type=A&pid1=234&pid2=446&fid1=P&fopt1=2016&fid2=P&fopt2=2016

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=I&tid1=10&playerStatus2=A&tid2=4&type=A&pid1=234&pid2=446&fid1=P&fopt1=2013&fid2=P&fopt2=2013

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=I&tid1=10&playerStatus2=A&tid2=4&type=A&pid1=234&pid2=446&fid1=P&fopt1=2011&fid2=P&fopt2=2011

Simmo deserves a lot more credit from the footballing world.

Reply #73
I agree kruddler, but it's a simple fact of life that players in successful teams get noticed more than players with equivalent output in less successful teams. And it's not just in sport. Injustice is a very real component of the human condition.

Reply #74
Excellent game from Graham and not just because it was wet.

He will probably never gain the positive yardage that Simmo does but Bolton's short kicking possession game plays right into his skill set because he has always had the ability to run hard (not necessarily fast) to create space to receive a short pass and he is also good at hitting a target with a short kick.

Has never been afraid to put his body on the line but he surprised me yesterday with how well he competed over his head when the ball was kicked (too high) to him in the forward line. If he didn't mark it, he usually managed to bring the ball to ground.
Brock Maclean style.
Twice he was standing in the goal square for the quick handball and goal but was overlooked.