Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 8: Pre Game Judgements St Kilda vs Carlton (Read 25633 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 8: Pre Game Judgements St Kilda vs Carlton

Reply #45
Reader Fraser's VFL report sounds like we are unlikely to make changes, compared to previous weeks there were obvious stand-outs in his reporting. I suppose that also reflects the game and the windy conditions it was played in.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #46
WTF is all the rest stuff all of a sudden. Go hard or go home.

It's all about managing players in an effort to get the most out of their careers IMHO.  I'd keep Kreuzer away from etihad as much as possible.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #47
this year reminds me of last year a little. started slow and then started to get on a roll.  media started taking notice and pumped up our tyres. we kept it going for a bit and then fell away badly. i wonder where we are on the cycle now.  i think we're a bit more mature and classy, and hope that win or lose this game we are a bit more even throughout the rest of the season. i guess the point i'm making is that we're a real chance of doing absolutely anything. definitely can win this game, definitely could get our pants pulled down. i'm hoping for a gutsy performance. it will be a big test if the saints come to play. they're a good side when they're on.

Reply #48
Nick Graham stays 100%. Busted his ass in the 2's to earn a recall and playing more than serviceable role at the moment. The message is clear, play well and get a game and it shows by bringing form players into the 1's.

He is providing a great link man around teh contest (10 marks) which I prefer as he runs all day, but is a bit slow of mind in and around the contest. Pushing forward nicely as well and finding space.

Keep going Nick.

He's a younger Brock McLean, no world beater, but a good role player, and provides good depth to our squad.

When we delist Graham, you'll know we have really good midfield depth!!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #49
this year reminds me of last year a little. started slow and then started to get on a roll.  media started taking notice and pumped up our tyres. we kept it going for a bit and then fell away badly. i wonder where we are on the cycle now.  i think we're a bit more mature and classy, and hope that win or lose this game we are a bit more even throughout the rest of the season. i guess the point i'm making is that we're a real chance of doing absolutely anything. definitely can win this game, definitely could get our pants pulled down. i'm hoping for a gutsy performance. it will be a big test if the saints come to play. they're a good side when they're on.

I'm getting the feeling now that we are getting to combine the passion and spirit with a more measured and calculated approach where our structures are beginning to be firmly established. This of course is most evident with our defence but the midfield is also starting to show signs. Hopefully we can continue to make progress throughout the year and this week will be a strong test.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #50
He's a younger Brock McLean, no world beater, but a good role player, and provides good depth to our squad.

When we delist Graham, you'll know we have really good midfield depth!!

We need role players not 22 players wanting to be the man... potentially what GWS might become.
Hawthorn had a perfect mix

Reply #51
We need role players not 22 players wanting to be the man... potentially what GWS might become.

Interesting point.

Reply #52

What was that sign in the Hawks rooms - "Know your role"?

Reply #54
What was that sign in the Hawks rooms - "Know your role"?

Judging by their seasons 2016 and 2017, Bolts may well have pinched it on his way out.

Reply #55
Judging by their seasons 2016 and 2017, Bolts may well have pinched it on his way out.

Probably not the only thing he knocked off.   ;)

Reply #56
The 'role player' mantra appears particularly relevent this week as guys come back into consideration:
[1] Do we promote Silvagni, as a semi-automatic selection?
[2] Jones deserves a game, but is there a match up for him? It doesn't lookg like ti to me.
[3] Thomas played well enough to keep his spot, but does he have a match-up?
[4] Kerridge and Smedts are probably the 2 most at risk of losing their spots after their performances against Collingwood. But they can fill many roles. If they go out, who would come in to replace them?
[5] Weitering appears to have a lot of different niggles. He is spendng time on the bench each week not resting, but being patched up. Is it time to give him a rest? Would Silvagni or Jones be a better option to replace him?
[6] Do we have a good match-up to take out Jack Steven? Ed doesn't appear to have the pace?
[7] Has Cuningham done enough to get a game? His best has been exilerating. But he still has patches where he doesn't get the pill for 20 minutes.
[8] In recent times the St Kilda ruckmen have kicked our butts. Granted that they have not tackled a fit Kreuzer in that time (and Kreuzer has been very good this year), but do we need to conisder help for the big lad? And if we do, has Phillips done enough to get the call up? Phillips was awful against Port Adelaide, but he was very out of touch. He has been much better the last 2 weeks.
[9] Do we recall Fisher for extra pace?

That seems like a LOT of selection questions (and it is), but we DO have to consider who best matches up against the 'Aints. We don't tend to make many structural changes when we win. However, the 'Aints are playing some of their best footy.
So, do we make changes to fit the roles required, or do we reward the guys who have been winning? After all, it isn't like any of our players have been comprehensively beaten in the last fortnight.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #57
Probably not the only thing he knocked off.   ;)

How do you know BB isn't the main author of much of the Dawks knowledge base? ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #58
How do you know BB isn't the main author of much of the Dawks knowledge base? ;)

There was irony in my post.