Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2017: Rd 5: Northern Blues vs Casey (Read 23495 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2017: Rd 5: Northern Blues vs Casey

Reply #60
Sumner in particular showing form could be important. He's got some pace and is at an age where he should be ready to go.

Reply #61
Trick will be the senior listed fringe dwellers such as KJ, Jones, Buckley etc and whether or not they are as motivated later in the year.

A whole lotta right going on down at the club these days. We now have genuine choice, not all quality but plenty of guys putting their hands up

As their Carlton career finishes, it would be in their best interest to continue performing to as a high a level as possible in order to get another opportunity elsewhere so they shouldnt really drop off from here.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #62
Still early in the VFL season, but...

This is the best NBs side I've seen since the David Teague days. What stood out from the get-go yesterday was the attitude, focus, consistency/persistence and cohesion. Though that final quarter mini fade out will give Josh some amo.

So good to see Sumner and Lamb get some form back. Their best will put plenty of pressure on some senior blokes and very importantly, if anyone goes down, they'll be cherry ripe to step in, along with Macreadie, Polson and Pickett who continue with their strong development. Boekhorst elevated himself to this level as well... deserving call-up attention.

Disappointed with the highly talented Cuningham again. When the heat was on early he was the invisible man but once his team mates had done all the hard work, he chimed in to show us his considerable talent. All between the ears.

Liam Jones is stating such a strong case for senior selection, especially in defense but unfortunately that's about the only place we are well covered or could we do better? Someone goes down and in comes Macreadie first and foremost. Sheesh, you'd have to be tempted to give Jones a gig ahead of White (who I like and think is doing that really hard bodied job, but with ACOS down back now we're a little lop-sided and Jones just might give that bit of speed that white can't - makes ACOS and Jones the two closing speed rippers). At very worst, if Jones' papers are stamped, if he plays some good senior footy down back there'd be plenty of other sides who'd be interested - 3rd rounder maybe. This philosophy could also apply to Buckley and Boekhorst who could get some senior action and establish some tradeability in the process (along with Jaksch and Gussy?).

Best game I've seen from Boekhorst in that he took real responsibility, especially in the early heat, and chased and linked up really well. Looked a bona fide leader out there.

Kerridge was so important in the win as well, though his disposal is still such a worry.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #63
@ Baggers

I never thought I would say this, but I'd be sorry to see Jones go now. He looked great in defence yesterday.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #64
Still early in the VFL season, but...

This is the best NBs side I've seen since the David Teague days. What stood out from the get-go yesterday was the attitude, focus, consistency/persistence and cohesion. Though that final quarter mini fade out will give Josh some amo.

So good to see Sumner and Lamb get some form back. Their best will put plenty of pressure on some senior blokes and very importantly, if anyone goes down, they'll be cherry ripe to step in, along with Macreadie, Polson and Pickett who continue with their strong development. Boekhorst elevated himself to this level as well... deserving call-up attention.

Disappointed with the highly talented Cuningham again. When the heat was on early he was the invisible man but once his team mates had done all the hard work, he chimed in to show us his considerable talent. All between the ears.

Liam Jones is stating such a strong case for senior selection, especially in defense but unfortunately that's about the only place we are well covered or could we do better? Someone goes down and in comes Macreadie first and foremost. Sheesh, you'd have to be tempted to give Jones a gig ahead of White (who I like and think is doing that really hard bodied job, but with ACOS down back now we're a little lop-sided and Jones just might give that bit of speed that white can't - makes ACOS and Jones the two closing speed rippers). At very worst, if Jones' papers are stamped, if he plays some good senior footy down back there'd be plenty of other sides who'd be interested - 3rd rounder maybe. This philosophy could also apply to Buckley and Boekhorst who could get some senior action and establish some tradeability in the process (along with Jaksch and Gussy?).

Best game I've seen from Boekhorst in that he took real responsibility, especially in the early heat, and chased and linked up really well. Looked a bona fide leader out there.

Kerridge was so important in the win as well, though his disposal is still such a worry.

Who's 1st in line for a call up as a Key Forward.... Mckay, Jaksch or Kerr ?    surely one of them has to come in for a taste soon ?  
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #65
Who's 1st in line for a call up as a Key Forward.... Mckay, Jaksch or Kerr ?    surely one of them has to come in for a taste soon ?

Now that's a great question. Both our big forwards against the Aints failed in creating scoreboard hurt. But was it their fault? Sheesh, the aggott didn't get in there too often but when it did Meat and Weits never looked like they were going to assert any real authority. We must get more inside 50s with quality delivery... but we're playing this balancing act of blooding newbies v playing experienced bodies. It's almost winning v development. I reckon this will be the last year that the supporters will tolerate newbie excuses/honourable losses... 'put up a good fight' etc...

To try and answer your question from my humble lounge chair, IF the ball was being delivered better I think Weits would be doing better. Although I acknowledge the improvement in Meat I still reckon he's very tradeable... too soft between the lugholes. Not too many big key forwards have been successful when being so nice, as Meat seems to be.

I wouldn't consider Jaksch... too one dimensional. Yes can take a good mark and generally kicks well and can be swung down back but that catch, punch or kick only stuff went out with granny's button up boots.

McKay didn't play yesterday. Why?

Two junior key forwards, Weits & McKay or Weits & Kerr, would be a worry... especially when they're surrounded by newbies as well like SOJ, Charlie, Samo etc. Personally I'd like to see Rowe and Meat as our key forwards with Weits down back. And with the valued inclusion of ACOS down back we can now do this. Plus Weits looks like he could do with a bit of familiar territory at present. This means McKay/Kerr could come in as the third tall and being gradually blooded. White would be the logical exclusion.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #66
McKay and Palmer were rested.

Stavrou no place for him in the team and he is a nice VFL youngster.

Byrne will likely be close to game time after the VFL bye

Smedts will come in too.....so much talent at VFL

Reply #67

The guy I'd be giving a run is Jones, regardless of the end.
(BTW., mids, we seem to have ended up with discussions about this in two threads! See the 2017 AFL Season.)

NBs v Casey game was dominated by our mids, blokes like Kerridge, Boekhorst, Lamb, Sumner were deep running which often left us with numbers at both ends of the ground. Jaksch worked well but more like a tall HFF than a KPF, a couple of his goals were caused by turnovers created by the mids when he was sitting back almost all alone in F50.

Geez, you'd think Cameron O'Shea must be up for a PSD spot if he keeps that form up, he's only 25 he could easily do a Sam Rowe in my opinion.

Also as yet due to injury, we haven't seen Alex Browne who goes OK.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #68
We may not see Alex Browne at all: he has "stepped away from football". Apparently he is trying to get over his depression. :( Hopefully he can get things together. If so, it will be next year.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #69

Two junior key forwards, Weits & McKay or Weits & Kerr, would be a worry... especially when they're surrounded by newbies as well like SOJ, Charlie, Samo etc. Personally I'd like to see Rowe and Meat as our key forwards with Weits down back. And with the valued inclusion of ACOS down back we can now do this. Plus Weits looks like he could do with a bit of familiar territory at present. This means McKay/Kerr could come in as the third tall and being gradually blooded. White would be the logical exclusion.

I agree it's time for Weitering to go back to defense... going forward hasn't worked as far as I'm concerned.

I think this week would be the perfect time to give a Kerr or a Mckay a taste of the big time...  a road trip to Perth would be worth 5 Melbourne games just as an experience and to whet the appetite.

Maybe Mckay was rested before his 1st flight to Perth... that's my tip you heard it here 1st. :D ;)
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #70
Now that's a great question. Both our big forwards against the Aints failed in creating scoreboard hurt. But was it their fault? Sheesh, the aggott didn't get in there too often but when it did Meat and Weits never looked like they were going to assert any real authority. We must get more inside 50s with quality delivery... but we're playing this balancing act of blooding newbies v playing experienced bodies. It's almost winning v development. I reckon this will be the last year that the supporters will tolerate newbie excuses/honourable losses... 'put up a good fight' etc...

To try and answer your question from my humble lounge chair, IF the ball was being delivered better I think Weits would be doing better. Although I acknowledge the improvement in Meat I still reckon he's very tradeable... too soft between the lugholes. Not too many big key forwards have been successful when being so nice, as Meat seems to be.

I wouldn't consider Jaksch... too one dimensional. Yes can take a good mark and generally kicks well and can be swung down back but that catch, punch or kick only stuff went out with granny's button up boots.

Jaksch seems to get plenty of touches and hits the scoreboard. Plays well most weeks. We need to find out what he has before we decide what to do with him. He'll have more forward support than in his only game last year. As for Levi, he won't be traded. He'll either leave as a free agent or stay. Kreuzer and Casboult are a good ruck combo. Like to see Levi concentrate on back up rucking and pick and extra key forward.

Reply #71
I agree it's time for Weitering to go back to defense... going forward hasn't worked as far as I'm concerned.

I think this week would be the perfect time to give a Kerr or a Mckay a taste of the big time...  a road trip to Perth would be worth 5 Melbourne games just as an experience and to whet the appetite.

Maybe Mckay was rested before his 1st flight to Perth... that's my tip you heard it here 1st. :D ;)

Weits has lost his spot down back. Nobody in their right mind would muck around with our back 6 at the moment which is the AFLs best.

He either lifts his performance or goes back to the 2s. He's not some sacred cow.

Reply #72
I think weiters will be rested for McKay. Just a hunch and likely to be totally wrong

Reply #73
Weits has lost his spot down back. Nobody in their right mind would muck around with our back 6 at the moment which is the AFLs best.

He either lifts his performance or goes back to the 2s. He's not some sacred cow.

IMO - Sam Rowe and Alex Silvagni are short term options, they will not ( Put Simmo + Simon White in that category too ) play in our next flag... ( will be lucky to be playing when we are a top 8 team )

Jacob Weitering was recruited as a backman and IMO will be our Harry Taylor for the next 10 years so why are we mucking around with him as a forward.. ??

Reply #74
IMO - Sam Rowe and Alex Silvagni are short term options, they will not ( Put Simon White in that category too ) play in our next flag... ( will be lucky to be playing when we are a top 8 team )

You realise all the names you list above are under 30! :o

How long do you think it will take to climb the ladder?  ???
The Force Awakens!