Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 10: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 28369 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 10: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #75
Young Jack and SPS have talent to burn - but young men in their teens are still developing bodies.

They will both be very good but every now and then need a refresher course in the twos to regain touch and confidence,

I am sure by the time they are 21-23 years old they will be very good players for us and that goes for Jack, SPS, Charlie, Marchy, Williamson, McKay, Fisher, Cunningham, Polsen, Kerr, Macreadie..

They probably will or probably not be A graders but role players - definitely.

Reply #76
For me, this game was a stand out.
For 10 + years when we were on the receiving end of a block of unanswered goals, we would capitulate. We were expected to do the same
Yesterday, sure the box and players lost concentration for a bit, but what happened after was a turning point in growth and confidence.
# 28, grew in confidence, 31 keeps growing, 30 is showing signs. 22 is a star
4 played a blinder, 15 is a warrior 8 keeps giving, 9 is courageous and #3 needs to learn courage from #9
#3 walked of the ground looking too fresh for mine.

Reply #77
fk, how can i forget #44
to me, this guy has been a revelation of 2017 and has added the right amount of c*nt in that backline
the only shame is, he's 29 and plays better than ever in a CFC jumper. Hope we get another 2 - 3 years out of him

Reply #78
I agree with your post.  I think SPS is actually turning out to be like another Yarran.  Has gone soft.  Silvangni is not working hard enough either.

Dont think he is soft and he does put his head over the footy but he is a small bodied player and gets pushed off the ball easily....one of his main problems is when he doesnt have the footy he doesnt think about defending and leaves his man alone too much...Marley Williams really hurt us coming out of defense with his good disposal and was SPS's man especially in the early parts of the game.
May need a spell in the NB's to learn some of the accountability facets of the game....got no doubt he will make it though and become an exciting player for us...

Reply #79
It's funny..we see different things.
I thought SPS was pretty solid in the second with his tackling and pressure.
Checked his stats at half time and at that stage he was equal leader in our tackle count.
The week before he actually led the count for the game.
His size is a problem at present and tackles can be broken but for a first year player that's not an issue for me if the effort is there.

Reply #80
I tell you what reading this all our kids were crap and we still hit the lead in the last quarter... Bloody hell, the other 14 or so players must have played their best ever games.

You play 9 kids 22 or under and it is tough, but they are seriously having a go and I think there is a lot to like. I don't care about wins, it is far less important to me that we win games, than to see all players having a go and improving, which I think is obvious.

I want to win, I was screaming at the screen, but there is a lot to like about the way we are doing things this season.

Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #81
Question needs to be asked.

https://www.zerohanger.com/breaking-round-10-mrp-results-12662/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=AFL+Trade+Rumours
If that hit was deemed an MRP incident, then how on earth wasnt it a free kick down field??

Exactly, 3 Leos. That hit happened in front of us and the umpire was only about 10 metres away and just starred like a stunned mullet... the crowd gave him heaps. There were a number of baffling decisions in the first half.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #82
For me, this game was a stand out.
For 10 + years when we were on the receiving end of a block of unanswered goals, we would capitulate. We were expected to do the same
Yesterday, sure the box and players lost concentration for a bit, but what happened after was a turning point in growth and confidence.
# 28, grew in confidence, 31 keeps growing, 30 is showing signs. 22 is a star
4 played a blinder, 15 is a warrior 8 keeps giving, 9 is courageous and #3 needs to learn courage from #9
#3 walked of the ground looking too fresh for mine.

You missed #6.  Another top game and is aging like a fine wine.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #83
I tell you what reading this all our kids were crap and we still hit the lead in the last quarter... Bloody hell, the other 14 or so players must have played their best ever games.

You play 9 kids 22 or under and it is tough, but they are seriously having a go and I think there is a lot to like. I don't care about wins, it is far less important to me that we win games, than to see all players having a go and improving, which I think is obvious.

I want to win, I was screaming at the screen, but there is a lot to like about the way we are doing things this season.

Agree totally. This lot usually wipes the floor with us. But not this time ;)
Can't expect much more than that from this mix of players.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #84
I watched Silvagni (Jack) attempt 5 tackles running at full pelt in order to create a turnover in the last quarter. He ran himself ragged trying to keep the ball in our forward half. Another preseason or two and he would have nailed one of them. Tried his guts. Out as did the other teenagers. Eventually it will turn.

Reply #85
Dont think he is soft and he does put his head over the footy but he is a small bodied player and gets pushed off the ball easily....one of his main problems is when he doesnt have the footy he doesnt think about defending and leaves his man alone too much...Marley Williams really hurt us coming out of defense with his good disposal and was SPS's man especially in the early parts of the game.
May need a spell in the NB's to learn some of the accountability facets of the game....got no doubt he will make it though and become an exciting player for us...

just watched it again, can't agree at all re SPS or Marley for that matter.

Thought Murphy had a shocker....

#30 very good.

plenty of good stuff from all thr kids, Graham included....just lack one extra quality mid....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #86
I thought Graham showed some improvement. He was fearless getting in doing the hard stuff. My only criticism remains his disposal. All his hard work went to the opposition quite a few times. Gee if he can improve that, he'll be in for a call up more weeks than not.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #87
just watched it again, can't agree at all re SPS or Marley for that matter.

Thought Murphy had a shocker....

#30 very good.

plenty of good stuff from all thr kids, Graham included....just lack one extra quality mid....

Marley had 24 possies....thats way too many for a backpocket.....SPS had 7 possies, Sumner who most rated as poor had 8 .....not sure how I see we won that position.
Our best forward pocket in Wright keeps getting used up the ground and I reckon he needs to stay forward more...
Graham won the ball ok but his effectiveness with the footy is still an issue IMO.

Murphy had Dumont for company through the game....agree that Murphy wasnt great and Dumont was an effective player IMO...

Reply #88
Marley had 24 possies....thats way too many for a backpocket.....SPS had 7 possies, Sumner who most rated as poor had 8 .....not sure how I see we won that position.
Our best forward pocket in Wright keeps getting used up the ground and I reckon he needs to stay forward more...
Graham won the ball ok but his effectiveness with the footy is still an issue IMO.

Murphy had Dumont for company through the game....agree that Murphy wasnt great and Dumont was an effective player IMO...

Yes, we noticed Wright was playing at HBF for a lot of the game and did some decent work there, obviously playing a role. Agree, he seems far better value though as a small forward who knows where the goals are.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #89
I watched Silvagni (Jack) attempt 5 tackles running at full pelt in order to create a turnover in the last quarter. He ran himself ragged trying to keep the ball in our forward half. Another preseason or two and he would have nailed one of them. Tried his guts. Out as did the other teenagers. Eventually it will turn.

His kicking may be way off at the moment, and I would defer to others as to  whether a stint in the 2s might be the answer, but my god, his endeavour and effort just can't be questioned.
He runs so hard in both directions.