Skip to main content
Topic: Blues Vs Swans - post match expert analysis  (Read 43300 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Blues Vs Swans - post match expert analysis

Reply #75
Not the best weekend to choose to play insipid football.

We need to make changes and probably more than we'd like if we're to stay in the top half of the competition.

Two are a must. Yarran traded and Murphy replaced as captain.  A functioning and cohesive forward line might help as well.

I agree about Yarran - think he will need to be traded to get the player types we need more! Don't know so much about Murph. Eddie may well be gone too under FA.
To trade the most Skilful player on our list we'd want a Shuey, or a top 5 pick, or a Jonathon Patton. And then risk a fallout with the remaining amigos, Garlett back to WA and Betts back to SA

No arguments there .... when I speak of trading Yarran, it must (or at least should) be on our terms.  He has currency and now might be the time to make some hard decisions to secure what we need.

As for Marc, I'm just not sure he's captaincy material and perhaps the burden is compromising his game. 

The market is flooded with teams seeking to improve their lists, but the undeniable fact is that the talent pool is way too thin to satisfy anything more than modest ambitions.  

Reply #76
I would be very reluctant to trade Yarran. I really believe his best footy is played from the HBF or from a wing. Playing as a small fwd can be a very tough gig, trying to get yourself involved in games consistently which is his problem when played there.

Remember in 2012 he was an AA chance, playing off the HBF, before he got injured about half way through the year. His run and carry from there was sublime and the opposition were trying hard to tag him out of games.

Yes he can without doubt look good Benny but for me, and maybe I'm being very hard on him, he is candy floss. He looks real good when we are on top but you don't notice him anywhere near as much when it gets really tough - in other words, to me he is a natural front runner and I would really question his inner reserves of mental toughness. Anyway, we'll see - I would love to be proved wrong for sure.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #77
I deliberately didn't look at the forums after getting home from the game, I was too gropable and din't want to say too much that I would regret.
I have calmed down a little bit this morning... Still bitterly disappointed though, not so much with the result, I thought we were long shots to win, but with the effort.
Apart from the first quarter, and a few guys in the last quarter, I thought our boys again showed a lack of heart, a lack of passion... Our boys simply don't work hard enough. One notable exception INHO was Judd, who even though he failed to really make too much of an impact, clearly worked harder than anyone else in blue. I think I saw one kick to him that was placed to his advantage all night.

I lost count of how many guys I saw throw arms out in a vague "attempt" at a "tackle", but seriously, there was no real effort or desire in any of those attempts.
I saw guys running behind their man all night, and I mean in attack as well as in defence.
We just don't work hard enough, I'll say it again. No run trying to create space. No protection for the guy with the ball, none of our guys will make the effort to shadow their opponent, and seemingly little desire in defence and tackling.

Special ire reserved for:
Warnock- inneffectual. Some people call him a witches hat, he aint a witches hat, at least most people deviate for a witches hat. He just clogs space. His hitout numbers are an absolute misrepresentation of how well he goes in the ruck,and the rest of his numbers do absolute justice to his impact around the ground. Slightly above average game against Port 2 weeks ago, and against the Tiges last week, highlights of his career at Carlton. Cannot believe we will likely get rid of Hampson to keep this spud.

McInnes- Problem with this guy is that he actually looks like he gives a crap, which probably means skillwise he just isn't up to AFL standard. Seriously, at times he just looks like one of those AusKick kids who is struggling to know where to stand or what to do.

Casboult- Nope. Worst kick I have ever seen at Carlton. From across the other side of the ground I cringed at his ball drop on a kick that sailed over the boundary on the full. He seems very slow to me, and although he has shown an ability to take a mark, he does it far to inconsistenmtly enough. Also shows a lack of awareness and poor positional play.

If we hadn't made finals, I would have said we should delist noth of these guys, however given that bonus of 2 games of finals experience, I think we should keep Casboult on the list one more year, just in case, and get him some intensive coaching in kicking and running in the off season.When he isn't running sprints he should be kicking a ball. McINnes is dead weight and should go back to wherever he came from.

And while I am in the ranting mood... Robbo... Just when he was starting to look like he was starting to have more awareness and more thought entering his game, he pulls out a shocker. Back to his poor, poor disposal. Seriously, you could never knock his courage or effort, but he negates all of that with poor vision and disposal. I think he might be traded if we can find a new home for him.

I feel a bit slack picking out these 4 for sprays, but they are the ones that stood out for me as being particularly poor.
Yarran was his disinterested self too and I am a lot more open to trading him as well after last night, I just know what he is capable of and would hate to see us being hurt by him at some stage.

Reply #78
I deliberately didn't look at the forums after getting home from the game, I was too gropable and din't want to say too much that I would regret.
I have calmed down a little bit this morning... Still bitterly disappointed though, not so much with the result, I thought we were long shots to win, but with the effort.
Apart from the first quarter, and a few guys in the last quarter, I thought our boys again showed a lack of heart, a lack of passion... Our boys simply don't work hard enough. One notable exception INHO was Judd, who even though he failed to really make too much of an impact, clearly worked harder than anyone else in blue. I think I saw one kick to him that was placed to his advantage all night.

I lost count of how many guys I saw throw arms out in a vague "attempt" at a "tackle", but seriously, there was no real effort or desire in any of those attempts.
I saw guys running behind their man all night, and I mean in attack as well as in defence.
We just don't work hard enough, I'll say it again. No run trying to create space. No protection for the guy with the ball, none of our guys will make the effort to shadow their opponent, and seemingly little desire in defence and tackling.

Special ire reserved for:
Warnock- inneffectual. Some people call him a witches hat, he aint a witches hat, at least most people deviate for a witches hat. He just clogs space. His hitout numbers are an absolute misrepresentation of how well he goes in the ruck,and the rest of his numbers do absolute justice to his impact around the ground. Slightly above average game against Port 2 weeks ago, and against the Tiges last week, highlights of his career at Carlton. Cannot believe we will likely get rid of Hampson to keep this spud.

McInnes- Problem with this guy is that he actually looks like he gives a crap, which probably means skillwise he just isn't up to AFL standard. Seriously, at times he just looks like one of those AusKick kids who is struggling to know where to stand or what to do.

Casboult- Nope. Worst kick I have ever seen at Carlton. From across the other side of the ground I cringed at his ball drop on a kick that sailed over the boundary on the full. He seems very slow to me, and although he has shown an ability to take a mark, he does it far to inconsistenmtly enough. Also shows a lack of awareness and poor positional play.

If we hadn't made finals, I would have said we should delist noth of these guys, however given that bonus of 2 games of finals experience, I think we should keep Casboult on the list one more year, just in case, and get him some intensive coaching in kicking and running in the off season.When he isn't running sprints he should be kicking a ball. McINnes is dead weight and should go back to wherever he came from.

And while I am in the ranting mood... Robbo... Just when he was starting to look like he was starting to have more awareness and more thought entering his game, he pulls out a shocker. Back to his poor, poor disposal. Seriously, you could never knock his courage or effort, but he negates all of that with poor vision and disposal. I think he might be traded if we can find a new home for him.

I feel a bit slack picking out these 4 for sprays, but they are the ones that stood out for me as being particularly poor.
Yarran was his disinterested self too and I am a lot more open to trading him as well after last night, I just know what he is capable of and would hate to see us being hurt by him at some stage.

Got tickets on yourself Deags, after games....haha......ropeable.

Reply #79
I would be very reluctant to trade Yarran. I really believe his best footy is played from the HBF or from a wing. Playing as a small fwd can be a very tough gig, trying to get yourself involved in games consistently which is his problem when played there.

Remember in 2012 he was an AA chance, playing off the HBF, before he got injured about half way through the year. His run and carry from there was sublime and the opposition were trying hard to tag him out of games.

Yes he can without doubt look good Benny but for me, and maybe I'm being very hard on him, he is candy floss. He looks real good when we are on top but you don't notice him anywhere near as much when it gets really tough - in other words, to me he is a natural front runner and I would really question his inner reserves of mental toughness. Anyway, we'll see - I would love to be proved wrong for sure.

Cookie, I see your point about him playing well when the team plays well. I guess, I'm being pretty optimistic about his future and what he could be.

Reply #80
@ Deags - great summary mate have to agree with all that although I am hesitant of getting rid of Yarran as he is one of the few that can actually kick the ball. Two key areas which were glaring problems last night were our run and our disposal. I get the impression from Mick he is of the same opinion. I just hope the new recruiting guy we got from Geelong knows what he;s doing.

Reply #81
Why would we trade Yarran ??
Carrots, slower than escargot in garlic sauce !!

Reply #83
Why would we trade Yarran ??

because he's a liability.

Not necessarily. He's had a radical change to his own perceived role this season and seems to have accepted it now, but is still very much a work in progress. For a player of his immense talent he is still a very lazy footballer something which I'm sure MM believes he can change.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #84
I thought Yazz was one of the few that lifted and gave us some sort of spark, I reckon there were a good 15 players that were worse than him last night. Not his fault the ground constantly gave way in the third quarter. I thought other than those two unfortunate situations his tackling was really good. 23 touches in a game where we struggled to get our hands on the pill, there were a lot worse out there.

Interesting Murph had 0 tackles again in a final WTF? Just not good enough for a mid. I see no one is willing to question that though.

In the end we had more scoring shots so considering how down we were on the night we still could have done a little better.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #85
Yeah Yazz did alright last night 23 touches 10 marks and 8 I50s. if only he had of 3 goals instead of 3 behinds it might of been a different story

Reply #86
What news on our injuries ?

Jamo will miss next week with concussion, Curnow with a knee, Garlett with a leg problem.....who the fcuk cares?
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #87
McInness' name has popped up for a bit for criticism. We should remember that he didn't do a pre-season owing to his his knee reco. Will be much better for a full pre-season. Shouldn't really have been out there this year... but there wasn't anyone else!! (Laids too slow; White injured).

And some of the same can be applied to Murph who also didn't have a full pre season.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #88
Interesting/good to see Ratten at the game last night - not in any official football capacity either, just a casual spectator in his civvies. Was on our train from the ground back to Central Station & was also on my flight this morning.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #89
How about this thought:

Swans had 2 players down from the start of the game and we still LOST

CARLTON ARE WEAK