Skip to main content
Topic: Blues Vs Swans - post match expert analysis  (Read 43180 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Blues Vs Swans - post match expert analysis

Reply #90
How about this thought:

Swans had 2 players down from the start of the game and we still LOST

CARLTON ARE WEAK

We actually lost Curnow in the second term and also Garlett was on one leg from early in the third quarter, he hobbled around for the rest of the game. The advantage was well and truly neutralised by that awful turf.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #91
When Curnow went off we turned to absolute crap.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #92
All our weaknesses sure were on display in one game for all to see.

We cannot sustain... anything!

We cannot initiate sustained and ruthless attack without having our backs to the wall ...and we can't sustain that for more than 2 quarters.

We only shine against poor opposition, mediocre opposition having a bad day, or good opposition that lapses in concentration.

We cannot 'hunt' a top side. And if we're seriously hunted, we default to timidity and relying on Juddy and a couple of others to lift everyone else.

Last night an undermanned Fluffy Ducks met an undermanned Blues... and culture (ingrained heart & spirit + courage, discipline & leadership) won.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #93
We had one more scoring shot, clearances, contested possessions and inside 50s were all relatively even. Despite the ugly way we played, we were actually just beaten by a team that adapted to the conditions better and used the ball with greater efficiency. I'm not a massive stats man but they do tell us a lot about this game.

They had 100 more uncontested possessions and as a result that reflected in their disposal efficiency which was 77%, 14% better than ours. With that better disposal efficiency, they were able to get some quality inside 50s and hurt us on the scoreboard whereas all our ball came around the boundary (except the last quarter) and resulted in stagnant or rushed inside 50 entry and tough shots at goal.

I really think our gameplan held us back to some extent in this game as it did throughout the season. Mick seems to be able to get the boys up for the big occasion, time for him to tinker with his dated gameplan and get the list playing more to it's strengths.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #94
I just think man for man our player's skills are not as good as the top teams. How many times do we turn the ball over and the opposition get the break and we know it's going to be a goal and it happens? When we get the same turn over we're hoping that we don't f#$% it up and we usually do. Look at our back line and their kicking skills and compare them to say Hawthorn.

Lake> Jamo
Gibson> Henderson
Guerrera> Simpson
Birchall>Walker

Our 4 boys are good players but their kicking skills aren't even close.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #95

In reality the Judd deal crippled the club, but I would do it again in a heart beat.

Yep, in retrospect, I have to agree with you.  It's been a privilege having him in the team and watching him play but it seems the flowchart diagram on the whiteboard in the board room was:

a. get Judd
b. win Premiership
c. pat eachother on the back

Think there were a few steps missing between 'a' and 'b'.

Without Judd we were the Bulldogs for ten years.

He brought the 3 P's

A.. Professionalism

B.. Profile

C.. Performance

Money well spent!!

bullcrap
cost us
two potential mids who would be around 23 and a near Coleman medallist only a couple of years older
Armfield has a crack but his skills are below standard
when you have crap board
you lack professionalism
get rid of them install a professional group of 6 and don't need one guy who costs a fortune to install professionalism
profile success brings more profile but success comes from
recruiting the right players for modern football
spending appropriate money to develop them
the lists builds together from a young age
the quick fix doesn't work anymore. The club hasn't understood this for a long time
performance we have been average with him in the team

The Judd trade was a screwup from a team
anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't a screwen clue how you build a team to win a flag these days

Reply #96
Getting Judd wasn't the mistake, the trade was.  We bent over too much.

He nominated his club, and we gave too much. Bit of that was Judd's fault for insisting that WC get a good deal, but we could have been a bit smarter  :-[
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #97
We had one more scoring shot, clearances, contested possessions and inside 50s were all relatively even. Despite the ugly way we played, we were actually just beaten by a team that adapted to the conditions better and used the ball with greater efficiency. I'm not a massive stats man but they do tell us a lot about this game.

They had 100 more uncontested possessions and as a result that reflected in their disposal efficiency which was 77%, 14% better than ours. With that better disposal efficiency, they were able to get some quality inside 50s and hurt us on the scoreboard whereas all our ball came around the boundary (except the last quarter) and resulted in stagnant or rushed inside 50 entry and tough shots at goal.

I really think our gameplan held us back to some extent in this game as it did throughout the season. Mick seems to be able to get the boys up for the big occasion, time for him to tinker with his dated gameplan and get the list playing more to it's strengths.

I dont know about the stats.  The Swans went through the motions late in the game which is why our last quarter was good.  We were 4 goals 8 at 3/4 time and were getting smashed in every stat up until that point.

The Swans had locked in the win by then, and there was a clear shift in their effort bevause they have a next week.

As for the game plan, we were that bad using the footy that we seemed to fall over (quite literally at times) before i could figure out what we were trying to achieve.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #98
I know at half time the inside 50s were even as were contested possessions. The clear discrepancy was the uncontested disposals and efficiency so for what it's worth it was the same story at half time.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #99
I know at half time the inside 50s were even as were contested possessions. The clear discrepancy was the uncontested disposals and efficiency so for what it's worth it was the same story at half time.

We got smashed in the second and third quarters for two reasons.

1.  We couldnt get the ball easily.

2.  When we did get it we missed targets or kicked to contests that were 2-1 against which resulted in turnovers.

The rest of it is fluff.  We were crap, and there were barely any cheers coming out of our cheer squad after quarter time which tells you everything you need to know.

Our decision making when deciding which player to pass to is poir.  Our execution was terrible and we allowed our opposition to beat us far too easily.

Two goals summed it up.

Jetta had it hard up in the pocket, Yarran commits to tackling but unfortunately slips, Jetta dribbles it across the ground for an easy pick up and score.  Should have corralled him.

Walker and Jetta are one on one in the goal square, and Walker was outmuscled by Jetta rather than ensuring he spoiled it Jetta takes a chest mark and scores easily playing on while Walker is complaining about being pushed out of it.

If the umps hadnt paid us so many frees in the first quarter that one would have been rubbish too.  I dont blame the blokes overly as you can only learn by doing things incorrectly but its just not good enough to sit there and point to a game plan when we are being uncompetitive in that game plan.

Good players will function well in any game plan and at worst be competitive.  Judd on one leg had crap stats but stood out all night because he kept competing.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #100
@Thry

Excellent post Thry - NAIL, HEAD.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #101

We got smashed in the second and third quarters for two reasons.

1.  We couldnt get the ball easily.

2.  When we did get it we missed targets or kicked to contests that were 2-1 against which resulted in turnovers.

Pretty much what I pointed out. When we won the ball we didn't use it. They did. They had heaps more uncontested ball as a result and therefore had quality entries inside 50 whereas we didn't. Obviously our lack of pressure let us down badly.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #102
Just watched MM's post match presser - certainly left no doubt where we will be mainly focussed in the approaching trade/draft period. Mids, Mids and more Mids!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #103
Carlton did not perform well.
the Players were not up to it and the coach did not inspire the team.
Blame falls on everyone equally, from President to masseur.
Time to plan to do better !