Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 1 Post Game Party: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 39444 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 1 Post Game Party: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #180
Just watched BB's presser. A distinct change of tune IMO. I don't think we'll be hearing any more about green shoots - the emphasis is clearly now on winning and NO EXCUSES. We have clearly entered the next stage of our journey.

He'll be feeling some pressure now, the honeymoon is over, it's reality time!

Not matter what sort of optimism fans feel, clubs has very little patience. It's why when we get the opportunity I think we must communicate our willingness for the long haul to any and all club officials, or BB will get the boot before he has even had a chance to get started.

If we as supporters are not vocal, the only feedback the club officials will get is from the media, and we know how that ends! ;)

Right now it's important that those good efforts, like Charlie kicking 5, translate to new members, the club will see that as a move in the right direction and it is probably the only objective measure they have!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #181
On membership.......  When our time comes for that last Saturday in September, I'd like to think that those who have had continuous 15 - 20 year membership  would be given preference, purely as a reward for loyalty!!

As much as I like the sentiment, reality is that won't happen. I think you'll find the very opposite, the club will be courting the elite and trying to get them on-board!

If you want to support Carlton, get to some H&A games before the fair weather fans start to creep out of the woodwork!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #182
watched the first half replay, 2nd half tonight.

Umps were hideous against us in Q2. Charlie pinged for holding the ball though tackled as he took possession then 3 htb decision that should have been paid were called play on.

Then Daisy got done over twice - the ungainly handball that was legit then the non mark call that was mark.

And a tackle by Jack I50, near goal, that was holding the ball every day of the week. BT brushed it off saying the defender disposed of the ball correctly - sure, but afterbeing held in the tackle for an eternity.

All that stuff cost us 3 goals one way or the other....

A big 'change' in a tight game...

More later but does make you wonder if the AFL wants certain teams to 'succeed' - or others not to...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #183
I think there is a simple equation emerging............

Cripps + Curnow + Offensive game plan = 60,000+ members in 2019.

We have a couple of genuine stars who will drag people through the gates, attract the young and reconnect us with that strong powerbase we had years ago.

On membership.......  When our time comes for that last Saturday in September, I'd like to think that those who have had continuous 15 - 20 year membership  would be given preference, purely as a reward for loyalty!!

100% agree with this but big offers are going to come for these lads so need to lock both into long term extensions now before the juggle drums will start beating.

Crippa is a WA lad and exactly the player WC would sell the farm for. Dont want to get too far into this season with him resigning. Charlie has Geelong roots and there is already whispers those pr1cks are sniffing around.

Need confidence back among supporters so locking in our 2 best players is the way to do it.

Then go nuts on membership drives and watch new supporters jump aboard. 

Reply #184
And yeah, Murphy played well in H1, without being dominant and Weiters wasn't that bad. Jack struggled to get involved but that happens sometime and other forwards were getting the job done...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #185
watched the first half replay, 2nd half tonight.

Umps were hideous against us in Q2. Charlie pinged for holding the ball though tackled as he took possession then 3 htb decision that should have been paid were called play on.

Then Daisy got done over twice - the ungainly handball that was legit then the non mark call that was mark.

And a tackle by Jack I50, near goal, that was holding the ball every day of the week. BT brushed it off saying the defender disposed of the ball correctly - sure, but afterbeing held in the tackle for an eternity.

All that stuff cost us 3 goals one way or the other....

A big 'change' in a tight game...

More later but does make you wonder if the AFL wants certain teams to 'succeed' - or others not to...

I'm sure they have a certain narrative in mind for each and every season. Possibly a two-peat for the Tigger faithful?

Their next project will be "Project Bomber Rehabilitation". Ch 7 (Ch Bummer) was playing its part enthusiastically last night. I think playing finals would be their intermediate goal for this year. ::)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #186
Just watched BB's presser. A distinct change of tune IMO. I don't think we'll be hearing any more about green shoots - the emphasis is clearly now on winning and NO EXCUSES. We have clearly entered the next stage of our journey.

Exactly the message I got from it as well. Great to hear and you can tell from BB we are past the point of being happy with little signs.

Reply #187
I wasn't particularly disappointed with our performance on Thursday night, beating the reigning premiers was always going to be a tough ask even after kicking the first 5 goals. I knew the tiggers were eventually going to wake up and when they did, their bigger and more seasoned bodies bullied their way back into the game. Nevertheless, a good effort and heaps of positives to take away.

I’ll start off by saying that Prince Charles is going to be something special, most of us already know this but I wasn’t expecting such a dominant performance so early in his career. Kennedy did some good things during his time on the ground, I think he can fill the Gibbs void. Cripps was in beast mode all night, didn’t know he was such a good contested mark but needs to work on his decision making and disposal (missed a sitter during a crucial stage of the game). I thought captain Murphy was inspirational and fearless at times, Daisy was excellent and performances like this will be invaluable for the youngsters, Marchbank was sensational in the backline with a some inspiring intercept marks, Liam Jones continues to impress and should of been awarded at least one free kick for being tunnelled twice, the ageless Simpson was solid as usual and Garlett was brilliant and will be our best recruit this season.

Now for the critics on the night and one in particular was when the tiggers finally woke up (after being awarded a free goal by the umpires), we should of focused on stopping their momentum by slowing down the tempo but we continued to play a fast, counter-attacking style (inexperience maybe?) that resulted in turnovers and goals. Weltering, Silvagni and Casboult all had shockers and should consider themselves lucky if they aren't dropped. Having said that, was Casboult used as a decoy to take Rance out of the game?  

Really need to beat the Suns next week otherwise these positives will be quickly forgotten.

Brownlow votes should look like this;
3 Dustin Martin (only because they won)  - 2 Patrick Cripps (BOG) - 1 Charlie Curnow

Go Blues.

Reply #188
And yeah, Murphy played well in H1, without being dominant and Weiters wasn't that bad. Jack struggled to get involved but that happens sometime and other forwards were getting the job done...

Yeah, too many people look at the moment then judge a player instead of the whole chain of play, many of our bad parts Thursday night were not as bad as some like to make out.

More of a concern for me is some of the long-standing repeat offenders. I'm sure in the past some posters have used our slow transition and game style as an excuse for some, but what is the excuse for last Thursday night?

On the flip side, the irony is not lost on me that Thursday's fast paced game saw Daisy as one of the four quarter contributors! Yet he still gets very little love! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #189
The minute he joined Carlton his career would be cruelled by penalties for high contact, you can absolutely back it in!

And the windpipe crushers would become the chicken wing (that applies to CFC but nobody thereafter) :-\
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #190
And the windpipe crushers would become the chicken wing (that applies to CFC but nobody thereafter) :-\

We joke about this, especially when I post because I've been tagged by a few as a conspiracy theorist, but in recent weeks there have been some clear examples that other posters have highlighted.

It should be a joke, but it isn't!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #191
I wasn't particularly disappointed with our performance on Thursday night, beating the reigning premiers was always going to be a tough ask even after kicking the first 5 goals. I knew the tiggers were eventually going to wake up and when they did, their bigger and more seasoned bodies bullied their way back into the game. Nevertheless, a good effort and heaps of positives to take away.

I’ll start off by saying that Prince Charles is going to be something special, most of us already know this but I wasn’t expecting such a dominant performance so early in his career. Kennedy did some good things during his time on the ground, I think he can fill the Gibbs void. Cripps was in beast mode all night, didn’t know he was such a good contested mark but needs to work on his decision making and disposal (missed a sitter during a crucial stage of the game). I thought captain Murphy was inspirational and fearless at times, Daisy was excellent and performances like this will be invaluable for the youngsters, Marchbank was sensational in the backline with a some inspiring intercept marks, Liam Jones continues to impress and should of been awarded at least one free kick for being tunnelled twice, the ageless Simpson was solid as usual and Garlett was brilliant and will be our best recruit this season.

Now for the critics on the night and one in particular was when the tiggers finally woke up (after being awarded a free goal by the umpires), we should of focused on stopping their momentum by slowing down the tempo but we continued to play a fast, counter-attacking style (inexperience maybe?) that resulted in turnovers and goals. Weltering, Silvagni and Casboult all had shockers and should consider themselves lucky if they aren't dropped. Having said that, was Casboult used as a decoy to take Rance out of the game?  

Really need to beat the Suns next week otherwise these positives will be quickly forgotten.

Brownlow votes should look like this;
3 Dustin Martin (only because they won)  - 2 Patrick Cripps (BOG) - 1 Charlie Curnow

Go Blues.

Good post.

Reply #192
Martin wasn't best on ground, other than that, totally agree.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #193
Cripps was best on ground, but would not be even slightly surprised if Dusty gets the 3 Brownlow votes

Reply #194
Martin wasn't best on ground, other than that, totally agree.

If you giving votes purely on stats then Crippa gets the 3 votes.

If you give to the most damaging player on the ground then Martin get it.

His touches hurt the opposition as its usually forward of centre so many of them, result in a lot of scoring. Cripps was amazing in an undermanned midfield - won the contested ball time and time again but as much as it pains me to admit it Martin is more damaging of the 2 players.

Still love our boy but  ;)