Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 1 Post Game Party: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 39451 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 1 Post Game Party: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #195
Whoever was on Rance - sometime cas sometimes Jack immediately went to the goal square. He only had 3 marks and 15 pos and wasn't really a factor in the game.

If they lost Martin they miss finals. Not just his possessions but all those B graders in their team gain confidence off him.

Reply #196
If you giving votes purely on stats then Crippa gets the 3 votes.

Cripps got a heap of footy but wasted a fair bit of it, yet he was clearly our best.

I don't think there was a clear BoG, but Dusty and Cripps are probably the two front runners. We shouldn't deny just how good Martin is in contested football, we rave about Cripps working inside, Martin is just as good if not better when one on one.

We need blokes to aspire to it, not deny it!

It looks like modern tactics are going to result in players racking up possessions, but that won't always mean they are BoG. If Charlie had kicked those five goals without the 50m penalty assistance he'd probably be a clear BoG.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #197
Martin had 20 kicks and I can hardly remember him missing a target. Cripps rarely gets the ball in open space, but in general play his kicking is no where near as accurate or creative as Dusty.

He had 13 score involvements - Cripps had 4. There's your answer there in terms of impact. he was also very influential in the last qtr.

I have no love for Dusty but he has turned himself into a very good footballer. His foot skills and kicking penetration is better than any other midfielder.

I think we all need to remember that we have lost 2 of our top 5 players from last years list - this is a massive hole in skills and experience that we just can't fill overnight. We got beaten in the i50's by 24 and lost the tackle count by 20, and they had 16 more scoring shots. On any normal day that would lead to a 10-12 goal belting. There were some highly encouraging individual performances, but equally a bunch of really poor performances as well. Mullet and Bryne are both huge worries for me at this point.

Reply #198
I wasn't particularly disappointed with our performance on Thursday night, beating the reigning premiers was always going to be a tough ask even after kicking the first 5 goals. I knew the tiggers were eventually going to wake up and when they did, their bigger and more seasoned bodies bullied their way back into the game. Nevertheless, a good effort and heaps of positives to take away.

I’ll start off by saying that Prince Charles is going to be something special, most of us already know this but I wasn’t expecting such a dominant performance so early in his career. Kennedy did some good things during his time on the ground, I think he can fill the Gibbs void. Cripps was in beast mode all night, didn’t know he was such a good contested mark but needs to work on his decision making and disposal (missed a sitter during a crucial stage of the game). I thought captain Murphy was inspirational and fearless at times, Daisy was excellent and performances like this will be invaluable for the youngsters, Marchbank was sensational in the backline with a some inspiring intercept marks, Liam Jones continues to impress and should of been awarded at least one free kick for being tunnelled twice, the ageless Simpson was solid as usual and Garlett was brilliant and will be our best recruit this season.

Now for the critics on the night and one in particular was when the tiggers finally woke up (after being awarded a free goal by the umpires), we should of focused on stopping their momentum by slowing down the tempo but we continued to play a fast, counter-attacking style (inexperience maybe?) that resulted in turnovers and goals. Weltering, Silvagni and Casboult all had shockers and should consider themselves lucky if they aren't dropped. Having said that, was Casboult used as a decoy to take Rance out of the game?  

Really need to beat the Suns next week otherwise these positives will be quickly forgotten.

Brownlow votes should look like this;
3 Dustin Martin (only because they won)  - 2 Patrick Cripps (BOG) - 1 Charlie Curnow

Go Blues.

Good post Yark

For mine there's one point of difference.
With or without my Navy glasses, Crippa was BOG and should get 3 Brownlow votes. I know votes are biased heavily towards the winning side.

Not sure if this is a standard that umpires apply. Comments invited from our gurus O:-)
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #199
Agree mostly Sbf, but Mullet was a free hit and a decent kick. Handy depth at best and don't worry about Casey Byrne, the kid will be alright. Just needs to pick and choose when he defends and attacks a little better. I personally think he was trying too hard and not playing his natural game.

When he plays on instinct and relaxes a little more and gains some confidence in the ones he won't be getting complained about.

Reply #200
I keep hearing all of this hype regarding Byrne...
I'm yet to see him do anything remotely close to deserving the hype. Just can't understand where it comes from.

Reply #201
Martin had 20 kicks and I can hardly remember him missing a target. Cripps rarely gets the ball in open space, but in general play his kicking is no where near as accurate or creative as Dusty.

He had 13 score involvements - Cripps had 4. There's your answer there in terms of impact. he was also very influential in the last qtr.

I have no love for Dusty but he has turned himself into a very good footballer. His foot skills and kicking penetration is better than any other midfielder.

I think we all need to remember that we have lost 2 of our top 5 players from last years list - this is a massive hole in skills and experience that we just can't fill overnight. We got beaten in the i50's by 24 and lost the tackle count by 20, and they had 16 more scoring shots. On any normal day that would lead to a 10-12 goal belting. There were some highly encouraging individual performances, but equally a bunch of really poor performances as well. Mullet and Bryne are both huge worries for me at this point.

Way off the mark. Did you watch the game SBF?

Martin barely played inside. More as a roaming high half forward. And again, I have no idea who was playing on him (maybe it was to be the injured Kennedy?) I certainly saw no meaningful effort to tag him! 13 scoring assists - even more reason to tag him!!!

Any comparison with Cripps is meaningless - entirely different roles.

Not to mention Dusty is 4 years older. Age for age comparison, Cripps is light years ahead.

I50s - well, we coughed the ball up so frequently coming out of D50, no surprises the count was askew.

Tackle count - well, we would have missed 40 tackles as we tired due to being 1-2 players down most of the match. That was a bigger factor than not having Gibbs and Docherty.

And let's not forget we've also added guys like Kennedy (who will be a star), Lang and Garlett - all of whom have previous AFL experience and will be regular first 22 in weeks to come. And Gibbs never struck me as a team first type, good riddance quite frankly.

Scoring shots, a lot of forced behinds and arrogant pot shots from the Tiges - they were not inaccurate as such.

As for Yarak's comment:

we continued to play a fast, counter-attacking style (inexperience maybe?) that resulted in turnovers and goals

on the money. We didn't know when to switch tempo and often over played situations (read tried to be too cute). Our new game plan is still being refined and indeed, practised. The scores (to Tigers) from turnovers was truly abysmal.

We'll beat them next time, don't sweat it.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #202
I keep hearing all of this hype regarding Byrne...
I'm yet to see him do anything remotely close to deserving the hype. Just can't understand where it comes from.
If you saw him play before his knee injury, you would understand the hype and then some. The pace, in particular, the decent disposal, the marking: it was all there.
Since he returned he hasn't shown the same pace and his skills have been down. His decision making has not been optima either.  :(  :-[ What he really needs at this point is a couple of weeks in the VFL to gain his confidence again. At the moment I don't think anyone trusts his skills like they did. He needs to be prepared to handball, rather than break tackles and he needs to hit the tackler at pace, or with a 'don't argue', so the tackles don't stick. It isn't a lot, but he needs to work on the details of his game.
I don't mind taking guys on if he is going to break the tackle. At the moment he is not. He should have a few good sessions with Andrew McKay, who used to do the same thing. He needs to make sure his hands are free is he is tackled, and he needs to equipment to break the tackles, neither of which is impossible. As he gains more confidence in his knee, I hope to see him not slow down before the tackle, but to really run guys down.
Working on his decision making would also help.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #203
Yeah, too many people look at the moment then judge a player instead of the whole chain of play, many of our bad parts Thursday night were not as bad as some like to make out.

More of a concern for me is some of the long-standing repeat offenders. I'm sure in the past some posters have used our slow transition and game style as an excuse for some, but what is the excuse for last Thursday night?

On the flip side, the irony is not lost on me that Thursday's fast paced game saw Daisy as one of the four quarter contributors! Yet he still gets very little love! :o
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #204
After watching and painfully re-watching the game I'll make the following observations:

1. Expectations. We just played last years premiers. We were a bottom team in 2017, traded out Gibbs, no Docherty and Kreuzer went down. Played a lot of young guys too. We fought hard and pushed them but  lets be realistic in 2018.

2. There were 2 turning points in this match. First was Richmonds first goal from Jack when he got in got in the backline' faces and although they fought back they then collectively lost their focus and dropped down a gear. Second was Kreuzer going down. We stopped being as competitive in the ruck after that and missed his second efforts.

3. I get the criticism of Weitering. He had a shocker but I'm more critical of Plowman. He's had more time in the afl system but continues to miss tackles, get out of position and get beaten too easily. I can't figure out if he's trying to be a half back or play tall and gets caught not quite doing either. I agree we picked the wrong line up for this match, but I'd have gone with Weitering and dropped Mr Plow for a smaller more mobile defender.

I also get the criticism of Silvagni, not a great game but to be fair he did seem to spend a lot of time being manned by Rance and dragging him away. I think that says more about what Richmond think of Casboult.

4. When we executed the more attacking game plan it seemed to work well. Getting it forward to Charlie quickly was just inspiring. But, once we got tired and the work rate dropped the overlapping run ended and we resorted back to long kicks to contests or just kicking in hope. They had the fitness edge to keep running harder late and we couldn't keep up.

5. Our skills still need work. Especially tackling.

6. Welcome back to the afl Jarred Garlett. 17 touches and 2 goals after a year out is a fair return.

Reply #205
Did any of those underground handpasses come off :-\?

Reply #206
Got to disagree re Plowman. Did a lot of hard running away from the ball to cover teammates, is very smart and exactly what we need given how we are trying to defend. I haven't watched the replay but I'm pretty sure his best work wouldn't have been on the screen

Reply #207
Got to disagree re Plowman. Did a lot of hard running away from the ball to cover teammates, is very smart and exactly what we need given how we are trying to defend. I haven't watched the replay but I'm pretty sure his best work wouldn't have been on the screen

I agree re Plowman. Everyone has Thursday's game in mind, but overall I rate him higher than Marchy.

Reply #208
I also get the criticism of Silvagni, not a great game but to be fair he did seem to spend a lot of time being manned by Rance and dragging him away. I think that says more about what Richmond think of Casboult.

Look out, that'll attract some special attention!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #209
I agree re Plowman. Everyone has Thursday's game in mind, but overall I rate him higher than Marchy.

They are the dynamic duo that almost always perform their role to little fan fare.

I rate both very highly, but Marchbank has the edge on Plowman. He plays taller and gets across for more intercept marks.

Both are underrated by opposition and carlton fans alike.