Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 1 Post Game Party: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 41248 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 1 Post Game Party: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #75
I don't know how you can advocate playing the kids by taking out a kid from the side.

Still you were right about this week's selection but that doesn't change the fact that weitering should play when he's available.

He's not much older than Curnow (if he is at all).

Do we want to have weitering find out why he's getting dropped from some games or do we tell him it's for the best that he doesn't play and leave him wondering?   As far as I'm concerned this year is another education year and we don't benefit by not playing weitering.

Don't get me wrong I still say weitering  plays more than he doesn't but be smart about it. Last night was an obvious one to leave him out of.

I suggested potentially playing McKay in his spot, or another young mid like Cunningham, so we wouldn't be abandoning youth.

But there is another question raised...
What is best for development... Getting games into as many kids as possible
Or
Knocking off the premiers giving an almighty confidence boost in the process.

Reply #76
Important thing now is to win next week against the Gold Coast, a game we should win. Otherwise a great effort against the Tigers will mean nothing.

Reply #77
Surprised by the negativity, scores were level 8 minutes into the final term.

Yeah we can pick on individuals like Casboult, Silvagni or Murphy but we know those guys are not the future. Cripps and Curnow could be the best 2 players in the comp by 2020. Marchbank was marking everything that went his way. Fisher continues to improve, SPS and Dow are going to be class players.

It's only rd 1 so try to focus on the positives but yeah if we lose next week I'll probably microwave my membership.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #78
wow, what self absorption....

If Im going to cop it from all and sundry when I make a statement, you think I'm not going to point it out when im proven right?  You should be used to being proven wrong from me by now... Not that you'll ever apologise for the vitriol you bark.

Reply #79
Don't get me wrong I still say weitering  plays more than he doesn't but be smart about it. Last night was an obvious one to leave him out of.

I suggested potentially playing McKay in his spot, or another young mid like Cunningham, so we wouldn't be abandoning youth.

But there is another question raised...
What is best for development... Getting games into as many kids as possible
Or
Knocking off the premiers giving an almighty confidence boost in the process.

You could argue that losing Kennedy and Kreuzer on one leg was the bigger difference than playing weitering.   Not to mention that the back 6 last night (minus Simpson) will likely be our back 6 for the next few years.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #80
Pleased:
We came to play and after a slow start, so did our opposition (Balme knew how to prepare a side post premiership - had his influence all over it, Dimma is one lucky pr1ck that Balme joined the Tiggers last year).

Our start and fight to absorb considerable pressure over the next two and a half quarters.

Cripps. Marchbank. SPS. Simpson. Garlett. Curnow bros. Wright. Thomas. Kreuzer. Fisher.

Offensive attitude.

BB's media conference post game.

Number of BlueBaggers at the G to support the boys.

Indifferent:
Influence of: Dow (will be a champ, but not his best outing - will learn heaps). Kennedy (sure he'll do more in future games that what he showed in the first quarter). Jones.

Disappointed:

That we let them back into the game late in the first quarter.

Some of our tackling (and the lack thereof).

Injuries to Kreuz and Kennedy.

Casboult. Murphy (what's with the shizen disposal? Poor leadership through personal errors - doesn't seem to display ruthless attitude). Weitering. SOJ (if not for his bloodline would probably be dropped for next week. Is he really AFL standard? Works hard, great effort ethic but poor game impact - how would you like to be BB telling SOS his boy needs time in the twos!!!).

The result.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #81

Yeah we can pick on individuals like Casboult, Silvagni or Murphy but we know those guys are not the future. Cripps and Curnow could be the best 2 players in the comp by 2020. Marchbank was marking everything that went his way. Fisher continues to improve, SPS and Dow are going to be class players.

It's only rd 1 so try to focus on the positives but yeah if we lose next week I'll probably microwave my membership.
X2

Reply #82

x3
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #83
You could argue that losing Kennedy and Kreuzer on one leg was the bigger difference than playing weitering.   Not to mention that the back 6 last night (minus Simpson) will likely be our back 6 for the next few years.

No doubt injuries never help but if you can lose a ruckman against anyone is the tigers. Helped bring casboult into the game.
As I said though potentially playing Cunningham instead of weitering makes the loss of Kennedy less significant.

Back 6 for years... Agree... But does that mean we get done by small forward lines for years as well?

Reply #84

(if not for his bloodline would probably be dropped for next week. Is he really AFL standard? Works hard, great effort ethic but poor game impact - how would you like to be BB telling SOS his boy needs time in the twos!!!).

This has been a concern of mine for a while. SOS is IMO, the most powerful man at the club, with connections to the board, Pres, playing group etc. He's got stooges all over the joint. You need to have amazing moral fibre and top shelf ethics to put the club first, and not just treat it as your personal fiefdom.

Reply #85
From what Ive seen of SOS and heard from Jack I would expect SOS to tell Bolton that Jack needs to be dropped.
I think he is getting a run because there isn't anyone bashing down the door to get into the side instead of him, and Jack's work ethic on the field is second to none. If you drop the hardest working player on the field for someone who is only questionably better than him, that doesn't do a lot for making others want to work harder.
Our forwards are the laziest lot of forwards in the game, aside from Jack and Wright. There is no work off the ball. No leading. No blocking. No defensive pressure.
Jack is no world beater. A sign we are improving will probably be that he can't get a game. But he is far from worst on field each week and is possibly the hardest worker out there.

Reply #87
From what Ive seen of SOS and heard from Jack I would expect SOS to tell Bolton that Jack needs to be dropped.
I think he is getting a run because there isn't anyone bashing down the door to get into the side instead of him, and Jack's work ethic on the field is second to none. If you drop the hardest working player on the field for someone who is only questionably better than him, that doesn't do a lot for making others want to work harder.
Our forwards are the laziest lot of forwards in the game, aside from Jack and Wright. There is no work off the ball. No leading. No blocking. No defensive pressure.
Jack is no world beater. A sign we are improving will probably be that he can't get a game. But he is far from worst on field each week and is possibly the hardest worker out there.

A very good football brain trapped inside a snail's body.

Reply #88
This has been a concern of mine for a while. SOS is IMO, the most powerful man at the club, with connections to the board, Pres, playing group etc. He's got stooges all over the joint. You need to have amazing moral fibre and top shelf ethics to put the club first, and not just treat it as your personal fiefdom.

I'd imagine the club has an even bigger issue coming subject to what BSoS decides?

I think he is getting a run because there isn't anyone bashing down the door to get into the side instead of him,

Are they not bashing down the door because of ability and form, or is their motivation suppressed and affecting their form due to perceptions of nepotism?

I feel sorry for SOS, SoJ and even BSoS if we pick him up. Because it will always be hard for them to be perceived as unprivileged. They almost have to leave Carlton and play elsewhere to achieve that status, or they have to play so well the selection is without question, not unlike G.Ablett Jnr!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #89
I'd imagine the club has an even bigger issue coming subject to what BSoS decides?

Are they not bashing down the door because of ability and form, or is their motivation suppressed and affecting their form due to perceptions of nepotism?

I feel sorry for SOS, SoJ and even BSoS if we pick him up. Because it will always be hard for them to be perceived as unprivileged. They almost have to leave Carlton and play elsewhere to achieve that status, or they have to play so well the selection is without question, not unlike G.Ablett Jnr!

The issue is not that you play at the same club as your dad, the issue is that your dad is there at the same time as you. Ablett Snr was nowhere to be seen when Jr was at the Cats.