Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 1 Post Game Party: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 41174 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 1 Post Game Party: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #90
Tigers have a good backline.

In last year's grand final Jenkins and Betts were just as bad as Casboult and Silvagni.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #91
Jack was having little scoreboard impact in the forward line. When Kennedy went down, Bolton missed a perfect opportunity to show some real coaching nous and put Jack in the guts as a big bodied inside mid. His lack of pace is not such a big issue there and his smarts and big body and repeat efforts would have been very handy.

Reply #92
Ablett Snr was nowhere to be seen when Jr was at the Cats.

Do you think the son of Ablett Snr held no special status derived from his father's past? I think he almost certainly did, but his form and ability wasn't the issue, not so for his brother.

So many AFL examples, Hird being named head coach without a single days previous experience is another example.

Would any other club have drafted young Buckley?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #93
Tigers have a good backline.

Yes I agree, the media is heavily focused on the hit and miss attack side of the Nthmond game, but it is the defense that their flag is built on! I said as much pre-match, and it's supported by the 2017 stats.

It's not the Nthmond forward line or midfield that keeps the ball in their forward half of the ground, they get so many opportunities they could be kicking 30 goals a week!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #94
Do you think the son of Ablett Snr held no special status derived from his father's past? I think he almost certainly did, but his form and ability wasn't the issue, not so for his brother.

So many AFL examples, Hird being named head coach without a single days previous experience is another example.

Would any other club have drafted young Buckley?

The status is inescapable, and would exist wherever Ablett Jnr played, although to a lesser degree than at the Cats. It's one thing to bitch in the media if you feel your son is being treated badly, or to call a mate on the board or coaching panel, and it's quite another to be there at the club in a powerful position. The arms length aspect does make a difference.  I just hope SOS can follow the lead set by Nathan Ablett, Dylan Buckley, David Walls etc. and accept the umpires decision, if it comes to that.

Reply #95
Agree deags.

Jack tries his butt off.
He was a pick 50+ selection so was never going to be a world beater. I think he has surpassed all my expectations of him already.
We are desperately short of forwards and he is one of the few who hits the scoreboard regularly.

Ease up on the lad.

Reply #96
This has been a concern of mine for a while. SOS is IMO, the most powerful man at the club, with connections to the board, Pres, playing group etc. He's got stooges all over the joint. You need to have amazing moral fibre and top shelf ethics to put the club first, and not just treat it as your personal fiefdom.

And for all those that bag sos, would they like to name players 19 or younger that scored more goals than him last season?
And he was doing it in the worst scoring team in the comp.

He had a MARE of a game yesterday, against Hawthorn he had an average stage, but still snagged a couple and set up another with a beautiful 60m running barrel.

Jack was probably only saved from being WOG yesterday by Weitering's awful effort, but that happens. I agree we had a chance to try him in the middle, but we didn't and now we have to wait and see if he can do that role.

I think Jack will be an okay footballer and I think he cops a lot of heat for a kid who turned 20 in December.
The Tigers have a good defense and we still have limited number of inside 50s despite posting good scores the last 2 games.

As our forward 50 entries increase and (most importantly) our entries inside 50 are more targeted to the leading players, I think Jack will head towards 40 goals a year.
In saying that, he had a mare last night and would be considered to be dropped.

Big SOS was dropped for a Grand Final on Serge's advice (Serge I believe was on the match committee), so I don't think he would interfere in any decision to drop his kids and I don't think Bolton would be influence in any way either.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #97
Agree deags.

Jack tries his butt off.
He was a pick 50+ selection so was never going to be a world beater. I think he has surpassed all my expectations of him already.
We are desperately short of forwards and he is one of the few who hits the scoreboard regularly.

Ease up on the lad.

Isn't this the same line Jimbo uses about Levi ? Jack had a terrible game last night. 2 tackles, 6 disposals, no score at all. 2nd last in AFL fantasy points. The stench is worse than those stinkhorn mushrooms growing in my front garden.

Reply #98
Don't get me wrong I still say weitering  plays more than he doesn't but be smart about it. Last night was an obvious one to leave him out of.

I suggested potentially playing McKay in his spot, or another young mid like Cunningham, so we wouldn't be abandoning youth.

But there is another question raised...
What is best for development... Getting games into as many kids as possible
Or
Knocking off the premiers giving an almighty confidence boost in the process.

Of course Weiters would have been dropped after his 2nd half against  Hawthorn, not a chance.
He deserved his spot int he team last night, despite it backfiring and him having an awful game.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #99
And for all those that bag sos, would they like to name players 19 or younger that scored more goals than him last season?
And he was doing it in the worst scoring team in the comp.

He had a MARE of a game yesterday, against Hawthorn he had an average stage, but still snagged a couple and set up another with a beautiful 60m running barrel.

Jack was probably only saved from being WOG yesterday by Weitering's awful effort, but that happens. I agree we had a chance to try him in the middle, but we didn't and now we have to wait and see if he can do that role.

I think Jack will be an okay footballer and I think he cops a lot of heat for a kid who turned 20 in December.
The Tigers have a good defense and we still have limited number of inside 50s despite posting good scores the last 2 games.

As our forward 50 entries increase and (most importantly) our entries inside 50 are more targeted to the leading players, I think Jack will head towards 40 goals a year.
In saying that, he had a mare last night and would be considered to be dropped.

Big SOS was dropped for a Grand Final on Serge's advice (Serge I believe was on the match committee), so I don't think he would interfere in any decision to drop his kids and I don't think Bolton would be influence in any way either.

I hope you're right about SOS's impartiality. I don't think jack will ever get 40 goals in a season. And in reference to your first paragraph, he, Wright and Levi practically had the forward line to themselves last season. He had to get among the goals.

Reply #100
I still like the idea of Weitering as a forward. If Weitering was playing in Silvagni's spot last night the tigers would have had their hands full.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #101
BB has clearly stated that he sees Weitering as primarily being a defender for us going forward. This won't be abandoned after one poor game - he will be given the chance to settle into the role. This is not to say he won't have the occasional sojourn forward.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #102
My take away from last night's game was ... how freakin' amazing was the 1972 Grand Final!

28.9 (177).  That's TWENTY EIGHT GOALS and nine behinds.

But the past is foreign country. Sigh.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #103
It was disappointing to lose after such a good start but the result was almost inevitable.

I believe our score is the highest kicked against the Tigers at the G for quite a while.  That’s not a bad effort and, if we can maintain that effort and intensity, we’ll trouble most teams and upset more than a few favourites.

What I liked about the game was Bolton’s obvious displeasure at losing.  While he was still positive, I reckon he was seething and I’m sure that attitude is permeating the team.

I would leave the team as it is, apart from any compulsory changes.  Hopefully the nine day break will be good for Kennedy and Kreuzer.

One thing that struck me is that Samo is as hard as a cat’s head and he doesn’t mind inflicting a bit of pain on opponents.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #104
Agree deags.

Jack tries his butt off.

Ease up on the lad.

Is that consistent with your Weitering stance?

What has SoJ done to justify the support, compared to Weitering's first season?
The Force Awakens!