Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 1 Post Game Party: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 41204 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 1 Post Game Party: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #120
...and Denis Armfield was ordinary too, but he got picked because he always gave 100% and never died wondering.

Jack, ordinary, still busts his ar$e. Same as Daisy.
Levi, ordinary, might not require a shower after the game.

And yet, here he is, after 6 completed seasons, still on our list. You'd think that somewhere in the 3 regimes that he's played under, someone might call him out as the lazy fraud that he is, but no, he's pulled the wool over everybody's eyes.

Reply #121
And yet, here he is, after 6 completed seasons, still on our list. You'd think that somewhere in the 3 regimes that he's played under, someone might call him out as the lazy fraud that he is, but no, he's pulled the wool over everybody's eyes.

Not this little black duck!

I've been calling for us to find a replacement for him for years and continue to call for one.
Love, his marking, but with his kicking, he simply cannot be relied upon.

I still think he's the best we have...and i also think that is embarrassing.

Reply #122
Hmm, almost exactly thirty days younger than Weitering, people seem to forget that one!

You seem to forget that winning is the #1 priority, not giving games to kids because they are kids.

Reply #123
Last night, in the in-game thread, a couple people were pointing out how many shots on goal the tigers got when Weitering was the direct opponent. Weitering was switched around trying to find a matchup (wasn't one for him) and the tigers continually went through his man to get a shot on goal.

That is a fairly liberal interpretation of the events.

Weitering and Jones looked bad last night primarily because as the stay at home KPDs they were regular caught out of position against superior numbers. Marchbank, Simmo, Byrne and Plowman took off up field before we managed to find yet another way to turn it over! Nthmond moved the ball so quickly on the rebound those four were frequently caught heading back with the flight of the ball into D50 when it passed them bye! On the replay you can frequently see the late cavalry arrival on those occasions Jones or Weitering managed to hold up the forwards. Often one of the first to get back and help was the much maligned Daisy, there are a lot of supposedly younger, fitter, faster and more agile players on our list that didn't match Daisy's efforts!

Personally, our defensive setup didn't work well because to me we looked very disorganised, blokes like Byrne and Mullett didn't know where to be or when. It just takes one or two in that sort of disorder and a good AFL team will take full advantage. As a group we didn't gel, I suppose it's a symptom of making so many list changes in recent years. Having Dow and Garlett both playing didn't help either, both of them regularly let opponents get goal side.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #124
You seem to forget that winning is the #1 priority, not giving games to kids because they are kids.

Personally I can only judge the two based on their past. SoJ has done some OK things relative to his team-mates, but during his first season Weitering was a stand-out in a couple of aspects of his game relative to the rest of the whole competition!

Debating SoJ relative to Weitering is not comparing apples for apples.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #125
It was disappointing to lose after such a good start but the result was almost inevitable.

I believe our score is the highest kicked against the Tigers at the G for quite a while.  That’s not a bad effort and, if we can maintain that effort and intensity, we’ll trouble most teams and upset more than a few favourites.

What I liked about the game was Bolton’s obvious displeasure at losing. While he was still positive, I reckon he was seething and I’m sure that attitude is permeating the team.

I would leave the team as it is, apart from any compulsory changes.  Hopefully the nine day break will be good for Kennedy and Kreuzer.

One thing that struck me is that Samo is as hard as a cat’s head and he doesn’t mind inflicting a bit of pain on opponents.

Noticed exactly the same thing - it was palpable. One of the reasons I really like BBs media conferences - the bloke is authentic/real.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #126
Personally I can only judge the two based on their past. SoJ has done some OK things relative to his team-mates, but during his first season Weitering was a stand-out in a couple of aspects of his game relative to the rest of the whole competition!

...and i agree with that.

If Silvagni was a backman and Weitering was a forward, i'd completely change my tune. But they are not.

Our backline has as much depth as our forward line lacks.

That is, our 2nd's back 6 could outdo our 1sts forwardline.....and that is simply because of the makeup of our list.

....but that doesn't change that you can only pick 22 players to win you the game on any given day, and IMO weitering didn't have a matchup and shouldn't have been picked. Pick Cunningham instead to allow us an extra rotation through the midfield....which would've helped when Kennedy went down.

Reply #127
Not this little black duck!

I've been calling for us to find a replacement for him for years and continue to call for one.
Love, his marking, but with his kicking, he simply cannot be relied upon.

I still think he's the best we have...and i also think that is embarrassing.

You should have got on the blower to Ratts or Mick - you still have a chance with Bolts. He might listen to you, unlike the loonies around here.

To be honest, I'll be quite happy when them and their ilk are expunged from our list for good.

Reply #128
...and i agree with that.

If Silvagni was a backman and Weitering was a forward, i'd completely change my tune. But they are not.

Our backline has as much depth as our forward line lacks.

That is, our 2nd's back 6 could outdo our 1sts forwardline.....and that is simply because of the makeup of our list.

....but that doesn't change that you can only pick 22 players to win you the game on any given day, and IMO weitering didn't have a matchup and shouldn't have been picked. Pick Cunningham instead to allow us an extra rotation through the midfield....which would've helped when Kennedy went down.

The trouble is Kruddler, I don't want to see it but Weitering is probably also a better forward than SoJ. I think that was the mistake our club made, and it will take sometime to correct.

I have no problems with SoJ or with his work ethic, but through the JLT and after last night it's clear he doesn't deserve a spot any more than some of the alternatives. I'd have even played O'Shea as a HFF ahead of him. People forget O'Shea has played 81 games for Port, he's no newbie, his best game came as a HBF pushing forward against GWS!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #129
The trouble is Kruddler, I don't want to see it but Weitering is probably also a better forward than SoJ. I think that was the mistake our club made, and it will take sometime to correct.

I have no problems with SoJ or with his work ethic, but through the JLT and after last night it's clear he doesn't deserve a spot any more than some of the alternatives. I'd have even played O'Shea as a HFF ahead of him. People forget O'Shea has played 81 games for Port, he's no newbie, his best game came as a HBF pushing forward against GWS!

...and if they want to pick Weitering as a forward and drop Casboult, i'd support that.
I'd prefer they play McKay there first as Weitering is more of a known by comparison. But long term if McKay doesn't cut it and Weitering does, more power to him.

As for Oshea, got nothing against him, but i wouldn't have picked him up. Again, list management...too many backmen. I know SOS was a backman and has a good eye for them, but he needs to remember you can only play 6 of them at once. Sad thing is, SOS has kicked more goals than anyone on our list.

Reply #130

I wish it was 6 years, Levi joined us in 2009, which was the 2010 Rookie Draft!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_AFL_draft#2010_rookie_draft
The Force Awakens!

Reply #131
I wish it was 6 years, Levi joined us in 2009, which was the 2010 Rookie Draft!

Yes, that's true. but made his senior debut in 2012, which was my point, albeit clumsily expressed.

Reply #133
It's only one game, and against the reigning premiers. I don't expect any changes except those forced by injury. Can't understand the calls for McKay to play, seen him play a few times now and he offers nothing at this stage. If he gets picked now without getting some form and confidence in the VFL he'll just be the next whipping boy!

Reply #134
I wonder about that sometimes :-\

...which is where this whole weitering debate started for me.

What is better for our development?
Getting games into kids and coming out with an honourable loss?
or
Picking the side that gives you the best chance of winning (still heavily stacked with kids) and beating the premiers?

Overall, benefit to the team as a whole, it has to be the latter. Yet, it seems people are fixated with the former....coaches included.