Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 2: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Gold Coast (Read 18227 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 2: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Gold Coast

Reply #75
Excellent changes. Now I'm pretty sure we're fair dinkum.

SOJ was giving his all but not hurting the opposition. Cam O'Shea to free up Mullett for a more attacking/midfield role and maybe Cuningham HFF, he can hit the scoreboard?

Interesting that the AFL websitse has TDK as an emergency and the club's website has H as an emergency ??? AFL website also had Kennedy as omitted  :o

AFL now have H listed. Perhaps they saw your post Baggers ^-^
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #76
Carlton

B: Lachie Plowman, Liam Jones, Jacob Weitering
HB: Cameron O'Shea, Caleb Marchbank, Ciaran Byrne
C: Aaron Mullett, Patrick Cripps, Kade Simpson
HF: Zac Fisher, Levi Casboult, Dale Thomas
F: Jarrod Garlett, Charlie Curnow, Sam Petrevski-Seton
R: Matthew Kreuzer, Ed Curnow, Marc Murphy
Int: Paddy Dow, David Cuningham, Matthew Wright, Jed Lamb

IN: Cameron O'Shea, David Cuningham
OUT: Jack Silvagni (Omitted), Matthew Kennedy (Injured)

Gold Coast
B: Jarrod Harbrow, Rory Thompson, Jesse Joyce
HB: Michael Rischitelli, Steven May, Kade Kolodjashnij
C: Lachie Weller, Jarryd Lyons, Jack Bowes
HF: Jack Martin, Tom Lynch, Aaron Young
F: Ben Ainsworth, Sam Day, Alex Sexton
FOLL: Jarrod Witts, Touk Miller, David Swallow
I/C: Nick Holman, Brayden Fiorini, Darcy MacPherson, Aaron Hall

IN: Aaron Hall
OUT: Matt Rosa (Omitted)

Both sides have 4 emergencies named. I can't think of a good reason for it, but ...

Their forward line has 2 talls, Day and Lynch and 4 shorter guys.

I hope Kreuzer has recovered. I probably wouldn't have played him, but I am pretty conservative in that area. The club rarely follows my opinions on such matters.
Last year at Etihad was one of the very few times that Kruezer got beaten last year. Witts had him covered. That was something I never expected to see: I was not impressed by Witts at Collingwood. However, Witts was excellent in 2017 and made me eat my opinion. I would certainly like Kreuzer to be 100% in the circumstances.
Lynch also really hurt us. Kicking 10 goals was the difference then.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #77
Hope Holman does well. Reckon he'd be a good mid for the mighty Blues.

On paper, their team looks so-so.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #78

:-[ :-[ :-[
In his draft year he was one of only 2 Murray Bushrangers to get selected. He wanted the ball and it showed. I was disappointed when he was let go. Pace was his issue then. Hopefully it still is.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #79

Not a lot of big names have GC...missing two metre Peter is an advantage for us...their midfield is very blue collar, Hall is a good inclusion for them.
Ainsworth and ex Port player Aaron Young are two we need to watch, both good goalkickers and we wouldnt want to be too loose down back....
With the players named we are probably one tall too many down back given their four small/mid forwards.....think OShea might start on the bench and Mullett at half back which concerns me...

Reply #80
No disrespect to O'Shea, but picking him with the other tall defenders in the 22, makes zero sense.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #81
No disrespect to O'Shea, but picking him with the other tall defenders in the 22, makes zero sense.
Very tall back six, Byrne is 188 but plays much taller. Desperately need some run from him. He just needs to be a bit more composed and pick his time to go. You can tell the boys want to get it to him to run it out, has a killer sidestep. Just needs to use the ball a bit better.
I think we should win by 5 goals, but I'll take a one point win. Hope Cunners can cement himself a spot. Has a bit of toe and I think he'll make it, if he believes he can. Talent is there

Reply #82
Yep, team balance is a concern this week.

We've gone tall down back (perhaps as an over reaction to the risk of Lynch carving us up) but they've got a number of smaller forwards (like Richmond) who may out run us too easily.

We then seem to also be embracing the small forward line approach when we could play an extra tall and really stretch them. Maybe Weitering will be moved forward this week?

And light in the midfield. With Kennedy out I would have brought in Kerridge to have one more bigger mature body helping out Cripps. Hopefully I'm wrong on Cuningham (I didn't see the VFL match last week) and he's hardened up and learned to tackle.

Reply #83
We have to win this one and I think our approach will be a lot more measured than it was v. the Tigers. I expect we will include longer periods of tight defensive play especially if we can build a 3 to 4 goal lead. We have to avoid running out of gas and the risk of mistakes and turnovers.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #84

Some might have said the same thing last week. ;)

This week doubley so.

Reply #85
What's the thinking though?

There must be some plan to it all.
The folks doing the selection aren't novices in terms of team selection.
So you have to think there's some "method in the madness".

Reply #86

Look at what went wrong in our last game and what we need to change to fix that.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #87

Is SOS on the selection committee?
What is the thinking with filling your list with so many tall defenders to begin with?
He has a penchant for tall defenders....and given his standing in the game, he probably believes they are the most important player in the team.....that can even go forward if need be.
I'm not sure SOS's career is 'the rule' and more the exception though.

Not sure how much method there is, but madness....sure.

Reply #88
I suspect Writers to go forward.....  Horribly unbalanced line up.

Maybe kreuzer won't play?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #89
Terry agrees...too many talls down back

Weitering to the wing
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/03/29/terry-wallace's-fantastic-new-position-for-weitering/   

Former AFL coach Terry Wallace has suggested an entirely new position for struggling Carlton defender Jacob Weitering.

Rather than send the 2015 number one draft pick up forward, where he was trialled early last season, to cover for the omitted Jack Silvagni, Wallace says that playing the 20-year-old on the wing would best suit his abilities as a player.

“I’d like to see him play as a defensive wingman,” the ex-Richmond and Western Bulldogs coach said on SEN’s The Match Committee.

“He would be fantastic in that role because he would cover off as an interceptor, which is the best role that he plays, and he also sets up very well with his feet.”

Wallace believes that the Blues defensive unit from their loss to Richmond last week was simply too tall, considering a move further up the ground for Weitering would help the side in being able to rebound the ball out of their backline quickly.

“To me, Lachie Plowman, Liam Jones, Jacob Weitering and Caleb Marchbank is too tall,” he said.