Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 2: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Gold Coast (Read 19142 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 2: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Gold Coast

Reply #90
Terry agrees...too many talls down back

Weitering to the wing
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/03/29/terry-wallace's-fantastic-new-position-for-weitering/  

Interesting analysis and it will be even more interesting to see what we actually do. On the subject of Weitering, I don't know if he always looks so glum but he certainly had that look in the Tiger game. Is he an unhappy vegemite or does he just look like one?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #91
Could be the first good idea Terry's ever had.

Reply #92
It's interesting how these plebs call blokes struggling after one game in which they appear to get stitched up by nthmond's Dustin Martin!

Last night Dusty kick 5 on the Crows GF defence, are they struggling too, because it was being out-bodied by Dusty that started all this Weitering rubbish?

A bigger issue, reports are that SpecialK is at best 50/50 for tomorrow.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #93
Interesting analysis and it will be even more interesting to see what we actually do. On the subject of Weitering, I don't know if he always looks so glum but he certainly had that look in the Tiger game. Is he an unhappy vegemite or does he just look like one?

It's not new, and it's something I've wondered about myself.
I think it's just his natural demeanour.
He's had a high level of expectation in his first couple of years and he may feel the weight of those expectations.

If you have a look at some of the threads since his time with us...you'll see a number of references to him stating that "he doesn't look like he's enjoying his football"  but it may be he's just not the excitable kind.

Reply #94

He's always had that fairly dour demeanour - downturned eyes and mouth don't help.

I remember criticism of Mick during his time that he was going too tall as well. Is this a thing with defensive minded coaches ?

Reply #96

He's always looked like that, and he takes his football very very seriously which doesn't help. The moment it's time to run on the ground he gets that game face, see him 1/2hr earlier and he'll be hypo, laughing and joking looking forward with anticipation to the game. Cross the white line and it's business time.

I suspect at the moment he won't particularly like our game style, he'll be happier a few games into the season when the defensive structures get sorted out, Weits is a bit of a control freak and last week at times we looked like headless chooks!

In that respect he is not unlike an AFL coach, they won't be happy at the moment either, most games are becoming shot outs because everyone seems to be experimenting! Don't be fooled, this free flowing scoring sh1te is going to end in the coming weeks, coaches hate it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #97
He's always had that fairly dour demeanour - downturned eyes and mouth don't help.

I remember criticism of Mick during his time that he was going too tall as well. Is this a thing with defensive minded coaches ?

Wallace's timing is a bit out, he's talking about us being too tall as we take on the Suns with Lynch and Day.

No wonder he was a failure as a coach! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #98
Seem to have an abundance of defenders in the team, wonder if we might play seven down back to prevent Lynch leading for the footy and getting too many one out duels.

Reply #99
After last week's game I wrote that some of the more ugly moments in our defence came about because of our almost obsessive attack, particularly from Marchbank, Byrne and Simpson, they ran so hard forward they often left Jones and Weitering under-manned and outnumbered in defence when the ball was eventually turned over. To me that was obvious, but a lot of people pointed the finger at Jones and Weitering for having shockers.

I was most disappointed in Simmo, he gather heaps of footy but he burnt team-mates in the process, yet some gave him votes. His game was almost glory hunting, he is a senior and he should deliver better than that.

I was glad to hear BB mention in his presser that he thought Paul Roos comments about our game lacking balance between attack and defence was on the money, and that they have worked hard to address that during the week. BB mentioned the kids tend to go all one way or the other, they play to extremes, and that is no doubt the case.

I expect to see a bit more control and tempo this week, attacking when the opportunity arises, and holding when we have to. I hope to see a far more team orientated effort!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #100
Terry agrees...too many talls down back

Weitering to the wing
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/03/29/terry-wallace's-fantastic-new-position-for-weitering/   

Seems my bandwagon is getting more and more passengers by the day. Terry being the latest addition.

Perhaps i could proclaim "you heard it here first!"

Reply #101
After last week's game I wrote that some of the more ugly moments in our defence came about because of our almost obsessive attack, particularly from Marchbank, Byrne and Simpson, they ran so hard forward they often left Jones and Weitering under-manned and outnumbered in defence when the ball was eventually turned over. To me that was obvious, but a lot of people pointed the finger at Jones and Weitering for having shockers.

I was most disappointed in Simmo, he gather heaps of footy but he burnt team-mates in the process, yet some gave him votes. His game was almost glory hunting, he is a senior and he should deliver better than that.

I was glad to hear BB mention in his presser that he thought Paul Roos comments about our game lacking balance between attack and defence was on the money, and that they have worked hard to address that during the week. BB mentioned the kids tend to go all one way or the other, they play to extremes, and that is no doubt the case.

I expect to see a bit more control and tempo this week, attacking when the opportunity arises, and holding when we have to. I hope to see a far more team orientated effort!

Think you need to get recalibrated because you are a bit off with that assessment.

Nobody that i can recall was bagging out Jones. He made some mistakes, but he saved our butts several times too.

Weitering is not getting blasted because he got outmarked in 1 contest with Dustin Martin.

You can bag out Simmo, but i'm pretty sure the coaches voted him 3rd BOG behind Cripps and Martin.

Reply #102
Seems my bandwagon is getting more and more passengers by the day. Terry being the latest addition.

Perhaps i could proclaim "you heard it here first!"

Slight difference...You wanted Weitering out of the side. ;D

Reply #103
Nobody that i can recall was bagging out Jones. He made some mistakes, but he saved our butts several times too.

He's still developing in that position...He sometimes plays the risky game and that can look bad if it doesn't come off, but the upside is better than the down.
His disposal off the back when he's in control is usually pretty good and his defensive marking is also going well.
You cant fault his second efforts and desperation.

With regard to spoiling....
It appears to me that his main intent is to "kill" the contest at hand with little regard to what happens next...what happens after that is sometimes uncertain and he can look very good or very bad depending on who gets the next possession after a spoil.

Reply #104
Slight difference...You wanted Weitering out of the side. ;D

I wanted Weitering out of the backline, and suggested others should be played ahead of him forward. Never thought about a midfield role for him. Its not a terrible idea to have him hovering between the arcs going forward and back as he sees fit. Just worried the opposition will do the same thing when he plays back and doesn't have a matchup - play through his smaller, quicker opponent.