Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 3: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Collingwood (Read 31759 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 3: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Collingwood

Reply #120
If the kids pick up bad habits from an 8 or 10 year player, is it the kids fault?

Why did we get rid of Mitch Robinson, his football is clearly good enough, different emphasis for different circumstances?

Are you implying none of our coaches would point to Casboult as a role model, is this an argument for me or against me?

Then way is he there Cookie2?

WTF, Mitch's back now! Mate, I leave you with the last words - it is very important to you to have that honour obviously, and this conversation has clearly run its course.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #121
I wouldn't be rushing to drop Lamb.
He wasn't too bad last week, and ditto the week before. Others more worthy of demotion than he is.
He is one of the only players in the side who offers genuine aggression as well. We need that, lest we become punching bags.

Lamb is rarely bad, but he's also rarely good, he's another in between player too good for the VFL and not good enough for the seniors.
We've had plenty of them in the recent past, better to give young O'Brien or Jack Silvagni a game in my opinion, they at least have the potential to become competent senior players.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #122
After Saturdays debacle, nowhere have i seen any blame set upon our match committee. The game was lost at the selection table way  before the the ball was even bounced so blaming players is a little unfair. The balance of the team was poor and we never stood a chance. On top of this we hit an in form GC which admittedly after watching them live, they will worry many teams this year. Plenty of hard bodies too against slighter frames. Great warm weather was on their side too so it was a perfect storm for us as a team.
We just weren't ready on Saturday and feel we would have learnt plenty both on and off field.
Your thoughts

Can only partially agree, the game in my opinion was lost when Gold Coast brought physical intensity to the contest. Carlton did not, and generally do not, respond to physical sides. We have routinely been beaten up for nearly two decades. That is a stone cold fact. If you want to beat the Blues you out pressure them, and put intensive pressure over the ball. Most times, Carlton will wilt like flowers in the Sun.

Reply #123
Can only partially agree, the game in my opinion was lost when Gold Coast brought physical intensity to the contest. Carlton did not, and generally do not, respond to physical sides. We have routinely been beaten up for nearly two decades. That is a stone cold fact. If you want to beat the Blues you out pressure them, and put intensive pressure over the ball. Most times, Carlton will wilt like flowers in the Sun.

In the bolton era this has been less prominent.

We were fairly meek on the weekend, and even got within a couple of kicks at one point on a day when we were generally not very good.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #124
WTF, Mitch's back now! Mate, I leave you with the last words - it is very important to you to have that honour obviously, and this conversation has clearly run its course.

Last words, I posed four questions giving you the chance to respond!

It seems to me you are the one trying to kill off the questions with some misdirection!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #125

Agree...been one of my issues for years is the lack of physicality especially when the heat gets turned on and a few of our blokes hit the deck....May roughed up a few of our blokes and the only player who attempted to fly the flag was Kade Simpson, even our bigger players struggle to dish it back and I think most teams know we are soft and will fold up when it gets willing...
Players who will stick it back to the opposition are ACOS, Rowe, Williamson and Big Harry and I think we look a better team when we have some more aggression on the field......

Reply #126
Players who will stick it back to the opposition are ACOS, Rowe, Williamson and Big Harry and I think we look a better team when we have some more aggression on the field......

I think Macreadie has also showed a bit, and at times last season Cripps, Charlie, Plowman, Marchbank and Weitering were very quick to defend team-mates.

In general it's been the younger blokes, while only ACoS, Rowe and Daisy were prepared to enter the fray.

Kennedy looks willing, but I haven't seen him tested yet, it will come!

Late last season Murphy has tried to hand out some bumps in traffic, he has tried it on a couple of times this season as well but he just hurts himself. We shouldn't ask him to try, or want him to try for that matter, because if he's injured we are stuffed.

None of our current ruckmen are of that type, although Kreuzer's manic single minded attack on the football incidentally causes some mighty bumps. Can't recall Lobbe being much of an enforcer, certainly none of them are Mumford.

Have to be careful about this discussion, there are many versions of flying the flag, some people mean handing out heavy shepherds or square ups, while others think it's entering a scuffle for a biff!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #127
Do you think starting 2018 that Casboult is a new untested prospect?

The club has had a long time to address the Casboult / KPF issue, it's hasn't just happened since BB and SOS arrived.

In regard to Kerr and McKay, I've written the exact opposite of what you conclude, I have no idea where the other half of the conversation in your head is coming from.

Really? We went Weitering (who was always supposed to go forward at some point), Curnow, McKay and Silvagni in 1 draft. That's the foundation of the list build.

We've since added DeKonig and Kerr and there was the huge investment in Marchbank who is effectively a draft pick - who was also supposed to be capable of playing forward.

The bulk of these guys are struggling - but they are still young and have time. I'm not panicking just yet... though I'm getting nervous after Saturday. That performance was so bad that it is hard to be anything other than ultra-negative about everything Carlton at the minute.

Reply #128
Really? We went Weitering (who was always supposed to go forward at some point), Curnow, McKay and Silvagni in 1 draft. That's the foundation of the list build.

We've since added DeKonig and Kerr and there was the huge investment in Marchbank who is effectively a draft pick - who was also supposed to be capable of playing forward.

The bulk of these guys are struggling - but they are still young and have time. I'm not panicking just yet... though I'm getting nervous after Saturday. That performance was so bad that it is hard to be anything other than ultra-negative about everything Carlton at the minute.

I agree with all that except the point in bold, Weitering is a player who can go forward and will go forward, but there was no way he was recruited to go forward from the get go.

His game right through juniors has always been KPD, who has the ability to press forward and hit the scoreboard. Even in many of the games he scored bags of goals, a lot of them came from starting on the defensive side of the square and intercepting marks not lead up marks.

There is one thing that does concern me about Weitering, the kid is a prodigious kick and I mean Fevola like in length and accuracy. I'd say on the drop punt he would easily have someone like Tuohy covered. But we just haven't seen it at Carlton and I have no idea why! A couple of his past team mates never made it to AFL and are now heading off to the NFL on scholarships as punters. They roost drop punts 60+ meters regularly and Weitering had most of them covered.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #129
Last words, I posed four questions giving you the chance to respond!

It seems to me you are the one trying to kill off the questions with some misdirection!

QED
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #130
Contention: Casboult is a leader.

Explanation: He has been in the AFL system for a long time, is an older player in AFL terms.

Comparison: Jake Stringer, Kurt Tippett, Jack Watts

Conclusion: Bollocks. Plenty of senior players are not role models. Most get moved on, but nobody wanted Casboult.

Every argument based on the above contention is therefor deemed null and void as initial contention is incorrect.

Here end the lesson.

Reply #131
Contention: Casboult is a leader.

Explanation: He has been in the AFL system for a long time, is an older player in AFL terms.

Comparison: Jake Stringer, Kurt Tippett, Jack Watts

Conclusion: Bollocks. Plenty of senior players are not role models. Most get moved on, but nobody wanted Casboult.

Every argument based on the above contention is therefor deemed null and void as initial contention is incorrect.

Here end the lesson.

So a Role model is a Leader? :o

btw., Who used the "Leader" word in the Casboult context, if I did feel free to link to it!

Any argument based on the above contention is therefor deemed null and void as initial contention that a role model is a leader is incorrect. A role model may be a leader, but they are not dependent terms even if they had been mutually stated. Here endeth the lesson. ;)

PS; I think what you have offered is technically called an Ambiguity of Cross Reference, or it may be a Lexical Ambiguity like a Polysemy, it's all Greek to me! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #132
So a Role model is a Leader? :o

btw., Who used the "Leader" word in the Casboult context, if I did feel free to link to it!

Any argument based on the above contention is therefor deemed null and void as initial contention that a role model is a leader is incorrect. A role model may be a leader, but they are not dependent terms even if they had been mutually stated. Here endeth the lesson. ;)

PS; I think what you have offered is technically called an Ambiguity of Cross Reference.

role model, leader
potayto, potahto

Reply #133
role model, leader
potayto, potahto

Really?

So I take it you didn't find the "Leader" word anywhere in the recent threads, but you'll claim you didn't bother looking! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #134
Really?

So I take it you didn't find the "Leader" word anywhere in the recent threads, but you'll claim you didn't bother looking! ;D

I've read all the recent threads for the day, basically at once. You were b!tch!ng about casboult in all of them. I don't take note of who says what word first and what not.

If you wanna get pedantic about the difference between a leader and a role model in relation to casboult you are simply deflecting and conceding.

Point stands. I will not be drawn on the nomenclature.