Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 3: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Collingwood (Read 31760 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 3: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Collingwood

Reply #135
Lamb is rarely bad, but he's also rarely good, he's another in between player too good for the VFL and not good enough for the seniors.
We've had plenty of them in the recent past, better to give young O'Brien or Jack Silvagni a game in my opinion, they at least have the potential to become competent senior players.

One of those "good for depth" players. Someone you can bring in and will at least be ok.

Reply #136
One of those "good for depth" players. Someone you can bring in and will at least be ok.

Except that at Carlton he's in our best 22.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #137
Point stands. I will not be drawn on the nomenclature.

I didn't realise role model was nomenclature for a leader, Hitler was a leader wasn't he, and Churchill too! :o

One in the same, role models and leaders?

Kruddler, there was no argument to make your point against, you have constructed an absurdity. Still it does stand except only as a point against something that never existed!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #138
Except that at Carlton he's in our best 22.

Not once Pickett and Lang are back...

He doesn't do enough, consistently in my book. Like his niggle, but more needed!

That said if we're getting belted in the guts bit hard for the forwards to shine.... though the I50 count suggested something else was awry last weekend.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #139
It's something Ive commented about consistently, but our forwards dont work hard enough off the ball. I watched them a couple of times when the ball was in our half forward area and no one was leading, no one was positioning themselves or looking to provide blocks. Stationary, waiting for the ball to drop in their vicinity. Not good enough. A lot of people blame the mids for our poor entry into our forward line, I blame the forwards for not working hard enough.

Reply #140
It's something Ive commented about consistently, but our forwards dont work hard enough off the ball. I watched them a couple of times when the ball was in our half forward area and no one was leading, no one was positioning themselves or looking to provide blocks. Stationary, waiting for the ball to drop in their vicinity. Not good enough. A lot of people blame the mids for our poor entry into our forward line, I blame the forwards for not working hard enough.

It's like a cancer spreading through of F50, they need an experienced head to show them the way! ;)

The lack of blocks, bumps and shepherds is simply astounding, we hardly impede opposition defenders!

If you get a chance, watch some of the long vision from the Nthmond game, compare what the Nthmond forwards do as the very basics compared to same F50 entry from Carlton. They are part of a team, we are six individuals.

Regardless we need to defeat the Pies this Friday night, because Nothing Else Matters!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #141
It's like a cancer spreading through of F50, they need an experienced head to show them the way! ;)

The lack of blocks, bumps and shepherds is simply astounding, we hardly impede opposition defenders!

If you get a chance, watch some of the long vision from the Nthmond game, compare what the Nthmond forwards do as the very basics compared to same F50 entry from Carlton. They are part of a team, we are six individuals.

Regardless we need to defeat the Pies this Friday night, because Nothing Else Matters!

Dont think too many were keen to try and block May......

Reply #142
Dont think too many were keen to try and block May......

Yeah, that's last week. Would be shameful if true, but still doesn't explain every other week for the past 4 or 5 years.

Reply #143
Footy nowadays is about taking risks, we are still too conservative. I use Richmond as an example again, they are not a team full of stars but they are a good team who back themselves and take risks. When their inside grunt players win the ball, or a free is given to them, their outside players and small forwards have already taken a risk and made a move well and truly in advance. I sat in the bleaches in round one and it was extremely obvious from up with a full view of the entire ground. There positioning on the field is all about go hard and go early. Granted it didnt go well for them vs Adelaide but not many teams do well v Adelaide in Adelaide. We need to work harder and take more risks. Enough of the conservative flat footedness.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #144
Footy nowadays is about taking risks, we are still too conservative. I use Richmond as an example again, they are not a team full of stars but they are a good team who back themselves and take risks. When their inside grunt players win the ball, or a free is given to them, their outside players and small forwards have already taken a risk and made a move well and truly in advance. I sat in the bleaches in round one and it was extremely obvious from up with a full view of the entire ground. There positioning on the field is all about go hard and go early. Granted it didnt go well for them vs Adelaide but not many teams do well v Adelaide in Adelaide. We need to work harder and take more risks. Enough of the conservative flat footedness.

Where we come unstuck is that we're not good enough to make our risks 50/50.
Our risks don't come off often enough and we go into our shells and many aren't prepared to make them.
Jones is perhaps one exception.
He'll always back himself.... but just lately it's not quite coming off and he's starting to cop some flack.

Reply #145
Where we come unstuck is that we're not good enough to make our risks 50/50.
Our risks don't come off often enough and we go into our shells and many aren't prepared to make them.
Jones is perhaps one exception.
He'll always back himself.... but just lately it's not quite coming off and he's starting to cop some flack.
I will half cop losing while being bold and taking the game on (ie risky). They may not always come off, practice makes perfect and eventually it will become the norm. I wont accept playing like we did v GC under any circumstances.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #146
We will never become good until we get one thing.
Tiggers have it at the moment, The Fluffy Ducks and Dawks had it in spades, Geelong like to think they have it......
But it is BELIEF!
Carlton has been bereft of Belief for donkeys years.
Remember Carlton of old, we Believed. Always believed we were going to win and when we didn't we knew we were going to get them next time.
Unless you run out onto the park Believing you are going to win then you are just pissing into the wind and getting wet.
At the moment we are saturated. ::)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #147

Ahhh, well done LP...I see what you did there  ;)

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #148
Hopefully our lads will come out on Friday & Fight Fire with Fire......No Remorse....

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #149
Ahhh, well done LP...I see what you did there  ;)

btw., What's our pre-game tune this year, I cannot say I've even noticed it?
The Force Awakens!