Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 4: Carlton vs North Melbourne in Hobart (Read 32666 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 4: Carlton vs North Melbourne in Hobart

Reply #45
So you're OK with Friday night then?

I'm in the $@/* that camp, what was dished up was utterly unacceptable.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #46
So you're OK with Friday night then?

I'm in the $@/* that camp, what was dished up was utterly unacceptable.

I'm in the "I understand the growing pains" camp.

Reply #47
Which was bad, but Collingwood were kicking them from everywhere.
They kicked 16.4 and two of the points were posters, it's almost unheard of.
They had a day out and we were beaten by 4 goals, it wasn't the disaster some supporters think that it was.

Collingwood kicked straight because they got their goals with an absolute minimum of pressure, and all their shots ended up being <20m out almost straight in front.  They also had enough star forwards returning from injury that they could post a lazy 30 in the 2s the next day....

It all stemmed from the ease with which they could move the ball down the ground, with absolutely no pressure from our forward half/mids whatsoever. Not to mention broken tackles (still a major issue for us).

The second quarter, when all the damage was done, we looked like a school football team.  No half-decent AFL team should concede 10 in a row - especially with the ridiculous ease with which the Pies got theirs.  The same thing happened in the first quarter against the Suns last week.

It looks to me like there are some significant 'between the ears' issues with our team.  We are absolutely crying out for some on-field leadership, and apart from Cripps, there is none.

This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #48
Which was bad, but Collingwood were kicking them from everywhere.
They kicked 16.4 and two of the points were posters, it's almost unheard of.
They had a day out and we were beaten by 4 goals, it wasn't the disaster some supporters think that it was.

No offence good friend, but herein lies the problem. For years we've been looking for the positives to rationalise a poor showing... we're well trained to tolerate, even accept failure. There's always an excuse for our failure 'the opposition will never kick that straight again', 'it was only one bad quarter', 'we lost so-and-so in the 2nd quarter', 'the umpiring favoured them', 'selection was wrong', 'he's not a good match day coach'... bla bla bla...

Allowing Rottingwood to kick so many unanswered goals speaks to a glaring leadership void - speechless that leaders gave not a yelp, just a whimper. What did our young blokes learn from their leaders (on-field) when the opposition can take total control of a game the way Rottingwood did and the way the Tiggers did in R1? Did our leaders give them direction/inspiration/something? Nuh. What were our leaders thinking as they were chasing dot all over the paddock? Didn't anyone feel inclined to actually do something to change the course of the game or are they so used to failure that they accept defeat??? Does winning mean that little to us? In the 2nd half against Rottingwood we showed we can play strong footy but it obviously took the coaches to give the boys a rocket to wake them up!

We're not sitting on the bottom of the ladder because we're dreadfully unlucky!!! And we're not the youngest side going around... At this very moment the Carlton Football Club is a shambles, seniors surrender meekly and the 2nds, holy cr@p!!! A 130 pt hiding says it all. And we're a football club with just about more 1st round draft picks taking the field than anyone else.

Yes, it can all turn around quickly... which is another line we've been fed week in, week out, month in month out, year in year out.

If you keep repeating the same thing yet expect a different result, well, that's the very definition of stoooopid.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #49
We still played in a manner far below basic expectations, let alone the expectations of anybody on this site.

That is really the core situation, win or lose!

This isn't Rnd 4 2012 or Rnd 3 2014, and I'm sure the current opposition aren't juiced up to the eyeballs, but our last couple of games look very similar to those matches!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #50
I thought booking a weekend in Hobart to watch this game would be a good idea at the time.....*sigh*.......
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #51
Allowing Rottingwood to kick so many unanswered goals speaks to a glaring leadership void - speechless that leaders gave not a yelp, just a whimper. What did our young blokes learn from their leaders (on-field) when the opposition can take total control of a game the way Rottingwood did and the way the Tiggers did in R1? Did our leaders give them direction/inspiration/something? Nuh. What were our leaders thinking as they were chasing dot all over the paddock? Didn't anyone feel inclined to actually do something to change the course of the game or are they so used to failure that they accept defeat??? Does winning mean that little to us?

This....it's why I've never liked Murphy as a Captain.

Shame we couldn't have handballed him somewhere when we did the Gibbs' deal.  :o

And I agree that even in his twilight years, Marc would be a much better player - for us or another team - if not burdened with the captaincy.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #52
I'm really rather surprised at some of the people on here who are venting. Folks I had pegged as seasoned, sensible types. There are others for whom the whole "I've had a gutful" routine is de rigueur after every loss or poor performance, and from whom such comments are expected.

We are on a completely different path to what has been tried before. If we assume the club has fixed on a 66 game rebuild, we are 47 games into said rebuild. Even the most cursory examination of AFL/VFL history shows that progress is not linear.

I have no idea whether the Bolton/ slow mo method will work. What I'm saying is that it is simply far too early to tell.

Reply #53
I thought booking a weekend in Hobart to watch this game would be a good idea at the time.....*sigh*.......

After rd 1 I booked a trip to Adelaide in rd 7.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #54
No reason to be surprised at all.

Rd 2 was an abject disaster against an ordinary team - one can say ok - had a bad day at the office - young kids, new players, shocking slections...

To back that up in Rd 3 (against an equally ordinary team) with that gutless, pathetic effort for about 40 minutes (the 10 unanswered goals) is unacceptable.

You can sit there and say suck it up fella - it's all part of the journey....

I say BS to that. Someone should be accountable for that garbage. And it was putrid garbage.

Last season we beat Sydney in style and pipped GWS.

Bolts was a teacher once ...so what? Doesn't make him a good coach by default?

If they players aren't understanding or buying into Bolts' mantra - for whatever reason - then Houston we have a problem....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #55
And let's not over complicate things. Footy is:

1. Win ball
2. Use ball (well) and keep off opposition.
3. Kick dat ball through those big 2 sticks.

Against the Pies we were horrible at all three of those things and if you can't get the first part right, the rest becomes irrelevant in any event...

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #56
I'm really rather surprised at some of the people on here who are venting. Folks I had pegged as seasoned, sensible types. There are others for whom the whole "I've had a gutful" routine is de rigueur after every loss or poor performance, and from whom such comments are expected.

We are on a completely different path to what has been tried before. If we assume the club has fixed on a 66 game rebuild, we are 47 games into said rebuild. Even the most cursory examination of AFL/VFL history shows that progress is not linear.

I have no idea whether the Bolton/ slow mo method will work. What I'm saying is that it is simply far too early to tell.

It's a perspective thing...

My position has always been that the "rebuild" tag was used to buy time for a club in crisis.
The folks in charge basically said "this is day one!"....so we now get extra time....even though we were already coming off a fairly low base.
So while I've been quite patient and prepared to look for positive signs I'm struggling to be convinced

"The 66 game rebuild" ...does anyone have a direct quote from anyone saying that's the timeline?
If that is indeed the case then 2/3 into it we should be seeing signs of improvement....it's looking doubtful we'll see a lot in the next 20 odd games.
So after 66 we'll have had minimal progress.
Maybe after a 132 things will be different...but there's no guarantees.

Reply #57
Maybe booking all those trips through Carlton travel is the smart thing to do, then they may get the message when you cancel! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #58
After rd 1 I booked a trip to Adelaide in rd 7.
A day trip to Hahndorf will be nice......
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #59
We need to get a grip, Collingwood played well and kicked as straight as it's possible to kick and we lost by 4 goals, Matty Wright played his worst game for the club, we had a couple of kids playing their first few games and we lost Marchbank before half time.
Losing sucks but it's only round three, we'll come good sooner rather than later.
I haven't seen any signs of disharmony in the playing group and I take no notice of rumours.

We need to get a grip alright...Collingwood are garbage, wont make finals and more likely end up bottom half......their best forward Elliott was smacking us in the NB's, he didnt even play.
We kicked goals in the second half not because we were great but because they slacked off, they had kicked ten straight , won the game and it was junk time.
Josh Thomas kicked five goals...please...its Josh Thomas who is better known for his off field activities than anything he has done on the field, even he said he was surprised to kick five, thats how easy it was.
It was a pathetic display watching them kick ten goals straight, the coach was lost and inept and the leadership on the ground was non existent...30 odd junk possies a game doesnt qualify you as a leader.
It got so bad the normally cool and collected Cripps got so frustrated he started giving away dumb free kicks and arguing with umpires....

Then to top it off we had to put up with another cliched riddled presser from the coach who refused to admit there is anything wrong and and its all going fine.......we are holding players to incredibly high standards...its all about synergy.......please....at least we didnt get any green shoot nonsense..

LP called me out on bashing Weitering and not getting stick into other players he named..well here goes..

Mullett...yep great kick but Brad Scott told us why he got booted and yep he was right........no surprises there...delist material.
Kennedy...underdone, coming off an injury and with a sample of two games only I'm prepared to give him more time as I think he will be handy player..
Polson....not up to it, delist candidate..
Lamb...see Polson
SPS...talented but lightly built and needs some better bigger bodies around him so he can do what he does best and thats run and carry the footy creating for others.
Fisher...been good IMO, is having to play like a bigger bodied player and at least when he gets the ball something good usually happens.
Wright...yep poor game, well held but has been one of our best for a while and everyone has a bad game....for what he cost us he has been value plus....
Dow....two games only and we have found out his kicking isnt his strong point but with no leadership, Cripps being held and Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Treloar as your opponents its tough going. The kid just needs a few games in the twos to pick up the pace and learn to steady up a bit when he kicks. JLT series showed he can play but the extra pace and tackle pressure has seen him rushed and delivering poorly.

Weitering...great first season then injury ruined him mentally IMO.....has ranged between ok and poor since and the Collingwood game just reinforced IMO he needs to go back to the NB's and build some form and confidence, his once reliable kicking is terrible and he is uncomfortable taking on KP talls who are aggressive and physical with him.
There was a passage of play down back where Collingwood scored a goal, several of our players went up for the mark/spoil, JW came over the back, he was late, completely mistimed the contest/ball and looked like he either didnt care or was happy to avoid the contest....he looks lost IMO and not enjoying his footy. We can go on pretending but he isnt right....check that footage out, I think even the commentators mentioned it.
He looked like a player trying to give the impression he was trying but wasnt, the Collingwood players gave it to him all day and he couldnt even respond to that......if he plays then he needs ACOS and Rowe in to look after him because he cant look after himself and its sad to watch.
Yes he gets more attention because we have more invested in him...

I will give us one more chance vs Nth and say we can win but only on the basis that players like Cripps, Simpson, Kruezer, Wright etc will lift and drag us over the line and because Nth are equally as flakey as we are .