Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 17: Post Game whatever : Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 51139 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 17: Post Game whatever : Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #90
@ Jim

How is it Jim that we just seem incapable of getting hold of and sustaining the right coach?? What is stopping us from doing that?

Read earlier post.

Since 2000 we have had 2 coaches that have never played the game and two dinosaurs way past it. no coincidence the one coach, who had played and was younger had by far the most success. Basket case to finals in 2 years then sacked him. This issue is our inability to pick the right coach at the right time is our issue, similar to having Wayne Hughes as our recruiter. We pick the wrong ones.

Reply #91
Read earlier post.

Since 2000 we have had 2 coaches that have never played the game and two dinosaurs way past it. no coincidence the one coach, who had played and was younger had by far the most success. Basket case to finals in 2 years then sacked him. This issue is our inability to pick the right coach at the right time is our issue, similar to having Wayne Hughes as our recruiter. We pick the wrong ones.

So the problem does run deeper than the coach. The problem seems to be our inability to select the right coach - so how do we fix that??
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #92
Ok Jim, before you sneak off to Europe who do we replace Bolton with and do we continue with the rebuild as is or do we need to reset the rebuild?...

Like to look at Blake Caracella with Teague as his main assistant and snatch him from Richmond. We continue with what we're doing as we have drafted alot of good young players, some very good. Just need a few classy bigger bodies to add to them and a coach to get the best out of what we recruit. Like to see SOS with a good coach. Pity we didn't have him back in Ratten's days.

Reply #93
Last time we had a decent coach, the only one since 2000, we went from a similar basket case to finals in 2 years. You'll be surprised what coaching does. The coach and the recruiter are everything. Look what happen at Port when they swapped from Primus to Hinkley. Horrible to finals in one year.

But while we were going from basket case to finals under your supposedly excellent coach our list was rotting to its core.
How many players who played under Ratten played in today's team?
How many 10 or even 5 year players did we draft or trade in during his years?
There more to long term success than winning the occasional finals match.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #94
So the problem does run deeper than the coach. The problem seems to be our inability to select the right coach - so how do we fix that??

I'm not privy to they way they select coaches but something smarter in who we select. Not dinosaurs messiahs and not coaches who haven't played to start with. Not fair on them admittedly as some might have ability but they just don't seem to command the respect. So don't go there. Those are simple mistakes for starters.

Reply #95
Cripps will sign IMO..I'm more worried he will be too banged up to play as he is now targeted every week.....we need some tougher units to help sort
out his aggressors....Howe should have been dealt with today....
BB made an interesting comment about Crippa when asked if he needs to be managed from being banged up. He said something like, even with help, do you you think Crippa wont go to a contest hard? Of course he will.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #96
But while we were going from basket case to finals under your supposedly excellent coach our list was rotting to its core.
How many players who played under Ratten played in today's team?
How many 10 or even 5 year players did we draft or trade in during his years?
There more to long term success than winning the occasional finals match.

Are you saying that’s Rattens fault?

Reply #97
Kelli Underwood on Fox described Cripps as 23 but looks 33 due to pressure he is under with us. Yeh ok Kellie and you look 25. Look in the mirror love. Back to radio for you. Sundays are bad enough without this crap.
Utter rubbish.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #98
BB made an interesting comment about Crippa when asked if he needs to be managed from being banged up. He said something like, even with help, do you you think Crippa wont go to a contest hard? Of course he will.

I'd just like him to have some decent help rather than little fellas like Fisher trying to remonstrate with Howe....this is where I miss Robbo......

Reply #99
I'm not privy to they way they select coaches but something smarter in who we select. Not dinosaurs messiahs and not coaches who haven't played to start with. Not fair on them admittedly as some might have ability but they just don't seem to command the respect. So don't go there. Those are simple mistakes for starters.

So we need as a club to become a lot more savvy about who we need as a coach and in how we attract and retain them at our club? BB was selected as the result of a much vaunted selection process aligned to the future rebuild plans of the club. Appointing BB was the outcome of all of that. If he is not the right coach does his selection cast doubt over the whole plan? Do we need more fundamental change in the decision making processes and the people involved at the club?? If we use the same people and processes that appointed BB how could we expect to achieve a better result next time?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #100
Like to look at Blake Caracella with Teague as his main assistant and snatch him from Richmond. We continue with what we're doing as we have drafted alot of good young players, some very good. Just need a few classy bigger bodies to add to them and a coach to get the best out of what we recruit. Like to see SOS with a good coach. Pity we didn't have him back in Ratten's days.

Fair enough Jim.....you enjoy that holiday mate......I got your back while you are away... ;)

Reply #101
Are you saying that’s Rattens fault?

I'm not saying that it was all down to him, but our list went backwards during his time at Carlton make no mistake.
Bolton can only work with what he's got, at this moment in time he'd probably kill for Gibbs, Murphy, Kreuzer, Scotland, Waite, Fevola, Betts, Simpson, Stevens and Judd.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #102
I think that the root cause is our abysmal recruiting over an extended period which has left us bereft of good quality senior players in the 25 to 30 age group.
The problem is that it can't be fixed in one, two or three years, it's a long process to build a list virtually from scratch.

This is it in a nutshell except I SOS ain’t the answer either

Jake got SOS to the club
Their mates
The club once again doesn’t do a thorough enough job
In the first place
Pickett he will come on doesn’t get enough of it efforts are often
As weak as piss
March bank can’t kick
Kennedy too slow crap kick
He brought I think 9 blokes from GWS
Our list is still clogged with below average players
If you can’t run and can’t kick your a liability in AFL

I do believe Bolton needs an experienced offsider to help him

It’s very disappointing
Injuries have played a part but I believe it’s a simple case
That many of our players are simply not good enough
Kudos to Weiters did ok
Cripps as usual gave his all
Graham ok
Murphy lots of it but as usual plenty of cheapies

To sack the coach would be a step backwards
Look at his support staff
Get an experienced tactician

Do everything to get a good head of recruiting
SOS ain’t the answer

Reply #103
I'm not saying that it was all down to him, but our list went backwards during his time at Carlton make no mistake.
Bolton can only work with what he's got, at this moment in time he'd probably kill for Gibbs, Murphy, Kreuzer, Scotland, Waite, Fevola, Betts, Simpson, Stevens and Judd.

And what he's got is better than a near winless season. If you don't know that....

You thought all the failed coaches have been ok and the internet did well, Ratten, you think wasn't good. We supposed to take that seriously? Like really....

So far, while young, SOS hasn't had any of his u18 draftees bust. We have a good list of youngsters. We have enough decent, established players going around with them to be better than one win. You know it, we all know it.

Reply #104
This is it in a nutshell except I SOS ain’t the answer either

Jake got SOS to the club
Their mates
The club once again doesn’t do a thorough enough job
In the first place
Pickett he will come on doesn’t get enough of it efforts are often
As weak as piss
March bank can’t kick
Kennedy too slow crap kick
He brought I think 9 blokes from GWS
Our list is still clogged with below average players
If you can’t run and can’t kick your a liability in AFL

I do believe Bolton needs an experienced offsider to help him

It’s very disappointing
Injuries have played a part but I believe it’s a simple case
That many of our players are simply not good enough
Kudos to Weiters did ok
Cripps as usual gave his all
Graham ok
Murphy lots of it but as usual plenty of cheapies

To sack the coach would be a step backwards
Look at his support staff
Get an experienced tactician

Do everything to get a good head of recruiting
SOS ain’t the answer

What crap! Laughable.

Not one of SOS's u18 draftees has been a bust. That's a good group of young players. On the other hand we are near winless and you want to keep the coach and say SOS isn't the answer? Lol!

No good getting someone to help Bolts if he can't do the job. Only have to watch what is happening on field. Best to get someone else. We are terrible at selecting coaches. Young ones who never played AFL or dinosaurs. We got one right since 2000.and sacked him on 2012.