Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 17: Post Game whatever : Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 49202 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 17: Post Game whatever : Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #135
IBWT
Just check your Personal Messages ;)

Reply #136
Reality is, do we believe we have the best people in place to get us out of this crap?  Do we believe what we've been told?

Personally I have to believe that BB, SOS & Co are a lot smarter and knowledgeable than me so I will stay on board.  It's hard watching and I feel for the boys getting smashed out on the ground, but hopefully we will turn it around sooner rather than later.

We have no option but to stay the course.  If we fire BB, who replaces him?  No, sorry, I'm not doing that again.

Look to last year, BB CAN coach.  Do you think what he's doing goes unchecked, ie Mitchell not being tagged?  There had to have been a reason, a lesson in there or simply didn't have anyone to tag him - I don't know.  But what I know is that they're all in it together, it's their reputations on the line, they will get us out of this. (Hopes and prays to the footy gods! )

Reply #137
An aside - was Murphy injured y'day?  He looked terrible to me - and I am not a slammer of him usually but was extremely frustrating to watch him.

Reply #138
Bolton is tactically very poor IMO......dopey Zone defense you could drive a convoy through and just refuses to acknowledge the better players in the opposition teams...ie Mitchell yesterday......it was coaching 101 to tag him and Bolton did what he has done for 3 years now and froze in the coaches box along with Barker and the other goon squad we have assembled.

Surely we have one other player, other than Ed Curnow, who can run with someone... i mean, put Lochie O'Brien on Smith and see what happens... but you simply had to put Ed on Mitchell yesterday.

Mitchell has to get 30+ to have an impact, so make him scrap for them. 

Reply #139
Look to last year, BB CAN coach.  Do you think what he's doing goes unchecked, ie Mitchell not being tagged?  There had to have been a reason, a lesson in there or simply didn't have anyone to tag him - I don't know.  But what I know is that they're all in it together, it's their reputations on the line, they will get us out of this. (Hopes and prays to the footy gods! )

I was thinking the same thing.
Lot's of folk asking why Mitchell was allowed the free reign...even the commentators.
If it was that obvious to everyone.
Blind Freddy would have tagged him.
The answer to the question is..there must have been a reason.

(Edit...OK so I've just listened to Bolton's after match...and Mitchell's initial match-up was  Zac Fisher!!!-for education .... and when Fisher went down it became the responsibility of some of the other  younger ones. When asked why he didn't use Curnow..."It would have been robbing Peter to pay Paul...we're two down on rotations")

Reply #140
Reality is, do we believe we have the best people in place to get us out of this crap?  Do we believe what we've been told?

Personally I have to believe that BB, SOS & Co are a lot smarter and knowledgeable than me so I will stay on board.  It's hard watching and I feel for the boys getting smashed out on the ground, but hopefully we will turn it around sooner rather than later.

We have no option but to stay the course.  If we fire BB, who replaces him?  No, sorry, I'm not doing that again.

That’s pretty much how I see it and I wonder if anyone believes that the result yesterday would have been any different if Clarkson was coaching us?

I thought that our effort was pretty good considering we were undermanned from the outset and losing two of our better players knocked our stuffing out.  I suspect that we may cop another fine for allowing Cripps to stay on the ground.  He was clearly affected by the coward punch in the first half.

A positive for me was Polson’s continued improvement.  I’m glad that the MC is persevering with him.  He did pull that goal out of his clacker but a little bit of luck can be an important factor in a bloke’s career.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #141
I refuse to blame Bolton for this predicament, although his dogmatic, generic coaching shtick is wearing thin.   The players are equally culpable.   Effort,  application and execution of basic skills,  nothing beyond them in those demands.

Don't blame him alone, blame the lot of them!

As others have said, the failure to draft in 3 or 4 more seasoned (good or better) players in 2016 or 2017 reeks.

That said, it seems such an obvious oversight that it must be by design?

And let's be honest, blind freddie knew that the likes of O'Shea, Muppet and Shaw weren't going to add much, if anything, to the team's overall performance?

Perhaps they're keeping their powder dry as they know definitively that there's a big fish - or three - coming to CFC!?

I pray.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #142
A positive for me was Polson’s continued improvement.  I’m glad that the MC is persevering with him.  He did pull that goal out of his clacker but a little bit of luck can be an important factor in a bloke’s career.
From what I see of him, he tries his absolute guts out.

What do we think of Harry?  That goal of Poulsen's highlighted something to me of Harry's game - that ball was still live, going who knows where, and Harry was running towards it but not at high speed (he had a Hawks player next to him).  He then turns and starts celebrating, before the ball has gone through the goal posts and then SPRINTS towards Poulsen to celebrate it.

He ran faster to celebrate the goal, than he did to try and get it initially!  And we all know that was an arsey kick! 

Is that his work ethic being shown up there? 

ETA I fear a bit for him in that he may be quite happy to just cruise along and that the reason Casboult and others get games before Harry is due to work ethic - then the Media highlight Harry sitting in the stands while we're belted by the Lions and suddenly he's in again.  I worry we'll see him sitting atop the Coleman Medal tally in 5 years time after being let go from us as not a hard enough worker, then finally coming good at his 2nd/3rd team.  I hope not!

Reply #143
I was thinking the same thing.
Lot's of folk asking why Mitchell was allowed the free reign...even the commentators.
If it was that obvious to everyone.
Blind Freddy would have tagged him.
The answer to the question is..there must have been a reason.

Mitchell does get a lot of cheap low impact possessions... of course if you get 46 of them it starts to have a lot of impact.

So i think there is a thought that you are better off stopping Smith, and maybe going head to head with Mitchell. Mitchell did have 43 possessions (not sure if he was tagged, but Fagan was coaching) last week and they lost.

That might be ok if you have some midfield depth... but we don't.

Reply #144
 :))

Reply #145

Bolton has explained quite clearly in the past that he is trying to teach the kids to win - he's not interested in honourable losses, and keeps the tagging to a minimum because too many taggers means less players in offensive roles.

Whether supporters agree / disagree, think he's a sh1t coach, full of crap etc. is another matter. His approach is not unheard of in AFL circles.

Reply #146
Bolton has explained quite clearly in the past that he is trying to teach the kids to win - he's not interested in honourable losses, and keeps the tagging to a minimum because too many taggers means less players in offensive roles.

Whether supporters agree / disagree, think he's a sh1t coach, full of crap etc. is another matter. His approach is not unheard of in AFL circles.

Done a remarkable job this season 'teaching the kids to win'.  :o

That's just BS spin.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #147
Its hard to say atm re BB strategy , finding a full team would be a start, hasn't really had the players on a consistant  basis of late , injuries are robbing him

Reply #148
We reacted badly after a bad year and ton of injuries to oust Rats. If we do it again now we are doomed.
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #149
We reacted badly after a bad year and ton of injuries to oust Rats. If we do it again now we are doomed.
We have to do something.
I accepted we wouldn’t be finalists this year, but over three years skills have gone backwards, our game plan has been proven time and time again to have gaping flaws but we stick with it, our injured list is huge, and players under perform each week with a lack of intensity.
Injuries don’t account for all of this (ok maybe the being injured bit)
There have to be some coaching changes in the post season.