Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 17: Post Game whatever : Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 51166 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 17: Post Game whatever : Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #150
From what I see of him, he tries his absolute guts out.

What do we think of Harry?  That goal of Poulsen's highlighted something to me of Harry's game - that ball was still live, going who knows where, and Harry was running towards it but not at high speed (he had a Hawks player next to him).  He then turns and starts celebrating, before the ball has gone through the goal posts and then SPRINTS towards Poulsen to celebrate it.

He ran faster to celebrate the goal, than he did to try and get it initially!  And we all know that was an arsey kick! 

Is that his work ethic being shown up there? 

ETA I fear a bit for him in that he may be quite happy to just cruise along and that the reason Casboult and others get games before Harry is due to work ethic - then the Media highlight Harry sitting in the stands while we're belted by the Lions and suddenly he's in again.  I worry we'll see him sitting atop the Coleman Medal tally in 5 years time after being let go from us as not a hard enough worker, then finally coming good at his 2nd/3rd team.  I hope not!

Mickey, if you were at the game yesterday you wouldn't have anything to complain about with Harry's work rate.
Levi on the other hand.................
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #151
We reacted badly after a bad year and ton of injuries to oust Rats. If we do it again now we are doomed.

We have a recent history of sacking coaches after "injury hit" seasons.
Once they're gone you lose the capacity to say for sure how they would have/ could have bounced back.

I'm a big believer in redemption...so I'm for giving Bolton another 12 months to see if he can achieve the "bounce".
If we're in the same or similar position this time next year it's probably fair to say 'enough is enough'.

Reply #152
We were crap before all the injuries hit.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #153
We were crap before all the injuries hit.

We weren't great...but injuries to Carlton have a greater effect than injuries to a club with depth and maturity.
Apart from the listed injuries we probably have a few players playing when they shouldn't be.

Reply #154
We have to do something.
I accepted we wouldn’t be finalists this year, but over three years skills have gone backwards, our game plan has been proven time and time again to have gaping flaws but we stick with it, our injured list is huge, and players under perform each week with a lack of intensity.
Injuries don’t account for all of this (ok maybe the being injured bit)
There have to be some coaching changes in the post season.

That is the exact wrong reason to do something.

We sack coaches more because "we have to do something" rather than knowing what to do.

Thats the best way to ensure failure.

Doing something for the sake of doing something.

You end up not knowing what you have done, because every time you "do something" you end up with a result you didn't intend.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #155
We have to do something.
I accepted we wouldn’t be finalists this year, but over three years skills have gone backwards, our game plan has been proven time and time again to have gaping flaws but we stick with it, our injured list is huge, and players under perform each week with a lack of intensity.
Injuries don’t account for all of this (ok maybe the being injured bit)
There have to be some coaching changes in the post season.

The effort was fine on the weekend, indicators of effort (contested pos, clearances and hard ball gets) were in the Blues favor for the majority of the match. Our Median age (playing 21.5 this weekend, far and away the youngest in the comp) bottomed out this year, plus we have racked up the injuries.  It's not fun to watch but it is the reality of where the club is at, as SOS said on the TV the other night it is relatively easy to build a list to finish 8th, that is not what we want. If we lose our nerve and move on Bolts I am sure that is where we end up.
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #156
The effort was fine on the weekend, indicators of effort (contested pos, clearances and hard ball gets) were in the Blues favor for the majority of the match. Our Median age (playing 21.5 this weekend, far and away the youngest in the comp) bottomed out this year, plus we have racked up the injuries.  It's not fun to watch but it is the reality of where the club is at, as SOS said on the TV the other night it is relatively easy to build a list to finish 8th, that is not what we want. If we lose our nerve and move on Bolts I am sure that is where we end up.

Casboult's effort wasn't fine.
He stunk. Seriously pathetic.
Based on that performance he should be shown the door.

Reply #157
from ESPN:

AFL coaches: By Round 18 you'd think AFL coaches would have learnt that you need to put some time into Tom Mitchell. The Hawthorn ball-magnet has shortened into odds on favouritism to win the 2018 Brownlow Medal after a dominant first three quarters of the year, yet the majority of coaches still opt not to run with him.

This week it was Carlton's Brendon Bolton who decided against going with a tag and the Blues were made to be punished. Mitchell racked up 46 disposals, won six clearances, took nine marks, laid nine tackles and booted two goals as the Hawks thrashed the Blues by 72 points in yet another best on ground performance.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #158
It really irritated me that we let Mitchell roam around unmarked. Granted that Ed can only look after one at a time, but we need to have guys who can do that job.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #159
from ESPN:

AFL coaches: By Round 18 you'd think AFL coaches would have learnt that you need to put some time into Tom Mitchell. The Hawthorn ball-magnet has shortened into odds on favouritism to win the 2018 Brownlow Medal after a dominant first three quarters of the year, yet the majority of coaches still opt not to run with him.

This week it was Carlton's Brendon Bolton who decided against going with a tag and the Blues were made to be punished. Mitchell racked up 46 disposals, won six clearances, took nine marks, laid nine tackles and booted two goals as the Hawks thrashed the Blues by 72 points in yet another best on ground performance.

Why do you think that is ?

Reply #160
Why?

Because most coaches are thick.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #163
What I will say though, is our pressure when we are defending is almost non existent, and that allows the opposition to look a lot better than they probably are.

This is at once the most puzzling and biggest indictment on the club afaic.  It's been that way for 15 years!  :o
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #164
Why do you think that is ?

It was the same with Ablett at his top, you couldn't stop him anyway and having someone concentrating solely on him meant effectively playing a man short.
The dickhead roughing Cripps up yesterday had little or no effect on his output but Clarkson loves that sort of stuff.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.