Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 17: Post Game whatever : Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 51194 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 17: Post Game whatever : Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #226
how many posessions did mitchell get against brisbane and they lost.It is the team and our game plan the promblem.

Reply #227
As Roos pointed out it was the ideal opportunity to teach a kid something, tagging/running with Mitchell. It was more than just a game gone by qtr time, our season is gone, so let's invest in teaching our blokes the patterns etc of AFL leaders? Opportunity knocked and we didn't answer.

But I suspect winning a game is about the last thing we want at present. Every time we lose a game, and get closer to having the no. 1 draft pick to use or trade, you can see SOS dancing up and down Lygon Street. If only we could be confident he'd use it to our greatest possible advantage.

Roos had an extremely negative coaching style, and has an extremely negative commentating style, which tells you something about a certain personality type. I posted an article from 2014 after the Demons copped a smacking, in which he blamed skill errors, bad execution etc. on the loss, all of which is conveniently forgotten when he, ahem.... "analyses" our game.

Reply #228
Roos had an extremely negative coaching style, and has an extremely negative commentating style, which tells you something about a certain personality type. I posted an article from 2014 after the Demons copped a smacking, in which he blamed skill errors, bad execution etc. on the loss, all of which is conveniently forgotten when he, ahem.... "analyses" our game.

That was during his first year and they had won 2 games the year before. We are in the 3rd year. Melbourne had 10 wins by the 3rd year of his rebuild, we are near winless. He had improved those issues by year 3.

Reply #229
how many posessions did mitchell get against brisbane and they lost.It is the team and our game plan the promblem.

43 disposals, 7 marks, 7 tackles, 1 goal 1.

And some comments from Clarkson after the Brisbane game :

"They won inside 50s 55-51 but couldn't convert.

""We just wasted so many chances. They were able to capitalise on their chances better than we were," Hawks coach Alastair Clarkson said.

"In the end we lost spirit and faith in the way we wanted to play.

"Some of it is just fundamental skills under heat, in terms of being able to make a good opportunity into a goal scoring chance.

"We just made some dreadful blunders. Some of those they ended up being two-goal swings.""

Boy oh boy wowee. Who would have thunk it ?

Reply #230
Our biggest problem is our zone. I saw a piece of footage that had Luke Bruest wandering around inside 50 by himself for about 15 seconds before taking an uncontested mark.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #231
Our biggest problem is our zone. I saw a piece of footage that had Luke Bruest wandering around inside 50 by himself for about 15 seconds before taking an uncontested mark.

When one designs or builds a bespoke house, the two options at the very start that guide the whole process are whether you design something up to a standard, or down to a budget.

This is also Bolton's problem - does he come down to the level of his players, and accept whatever limitations this imposes, or does he set a standard, and expect his players to "upskill" and be able to play to the level required ?

There's plenty of teams that play zones.

Reply #232

Take a gander at the Brisbane game...A. Christiansen doing a Bruest and on his own with a paddock behind him. Lions centered the ball from the boundary and there he was for another easy goal.
Not sure why we continue the zone, no one knows how to play it and its embarrassing how many times its gets broken down and we have all these uncontested goals...it must be some sort of record..

Reply #233
Take a gander at the Brisbane game...A. Christiansen doing a Bruest and on his own with a paddock behind him. Lions centered the ball from the boundary and there he was for another easy goal.
Not sure why we continue the zone, no one knows how to play it and its embarrassing how many times its gets broken down and we have all these uncontested goals...it must be some sort of record..

BB seems very stubborn about this. It'll either make or break him I guess.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #234
When one designs or builds a bespoke house, the two options at the very start that guide the whole process are whether you design something up to a standard, or down to a budget.

This is also Bolton's problem - does he come down to the level of his players, and accept whatever limitations this imposes, or does he set a standard, and expect his players to "upskill" and be able to play to the level required ?

There's plenty of teams that play zones.

I don't have a problem with zones, I have a problem with Bolton's zone.

It doesn't work.

I'm not buying that our players are that bad. We have a bunch of talented kids who have absolutely no idea what they're doing out there.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #235
I don't have a problem with zones, I have a problem with Bolton's zone.

It doesn't work.

I'm not buying that our players are that bad. We have a bunch of talented kids who have absolutely no idea what they're doing out there.

It's not a one way street. I get that. Something is being lost in translation. Our zone was working fine for 2 seasons - why not now ? What's changed ? Too many kids ? Too many injuries (17 players have played in our back 6 this season) ? Could Docherty really be that important ? We don't seem to have anyone else who can really marshall the troops.

Reply #236
A couple of random articles, for your edification and contemplation :

https://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/afl/2018/03/26/peter-schwab-tagging/

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/bucks-unlikely-to-budge-on-taggers-20180511-p4zeth.html

Yep, and the tell in both articles is that you have to have the player capable before it is even worth considering!

If your tagger gets beaten anyway, very likely with a player Cripps, Mitchell or Martin, you are basically playing a man down all over the field!

Unless the tagger can stop an opponent, and hurt the opposition going the other way, it proves pretty pointless when the stats get analysed. Those purely negative tags are dead and buried in my opinion!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #237
As Roos pointed out it was the ideal opportunity to teach a kid something, tagging/running with Mitchell. It was more than just a game gone by qtr time, our season is gone, so let's invest in teaching our blokes the patterns etc of AFL leaders? Opportunity knocked and we didn't answer.

But I suspect winning a game is about the last thing we want at present. Every time we lose a game, and get closer to having the no. 1 draft pick to use or trade, you can see SOS dancing up and down Lygon Street. If only we could be confident he'd use it to our greatest possible advantage.

I think that Samo and others got more out going head to head with Mitchell than they would have trying to tag him - and they will get even more out of it when they do their reviews.

Ed is an ideal tagger because he can win his own ball while blanketing an opponent.  A young bloke like Samo or O’Brien would have to focus 100% on trying to stop Mitchell and the last thing we need is another player getting next to no possessions.

Bolts is an easy target for the so-called experts, and particularly those with an anti-Carlton axe to grind.  If we hold our nerve, they will be eating their words.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #238
With all of our medical issues this season, I'd like to add some more mystery to the picture.
Why the hell are our guys getting "cupping" therapy?

Reply #239
With all of our medical issues this season, I'd like to add some more mystery to the picture.
Why the hell are our guys getting "cupping" therapy?

Cupping is brilliant for freeing up stiffness.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson