Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 20: Post Game Calm & Civilized Discussion: Carlton vs GWS (Read 26368 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 20: Post Game Calm & Civilized Discussion: Carlton vs GWS

Reply #45
Questions
1. If GC ask or receive a pp, do we automatically get one?
2. Would we have an AFL standard list if us/GC combined?
3. How does 7 season ending injuries compare to other years/teams?
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #46
Can the AFL go to Carlton and hand over a PP over without us asking?

We will be told to apply I am certain of that.
I hope we end up with 1 & 9 and our two second rounders.
I would then trade pick 1 and a second rounder for multiple first round picks.
We have 12 players we need to move on and we need some serious quality.
Signing Murphy was a major mistake. We need competitive 24-26 year olds not outside players on a retirement plan.

Reply #47
As has been the past 3. Do you really trust our blokes to get it right? Most of the cr@p traded in over the past 3 years has been a big fail. But wonderful favours to other clubs.

Yes, list shallowness and injuries contribute but the spiritless effort from the start (there have been many this year, actually) suggests bigger problems in other areas.

I think the plan was that Mullet, O'Shea etc. were meant to be NB players more than anything, providing depth where required, helping the kids, bit of experience etc. SOS freely admitted in the recent Caro interview that not every trade / draft recruit works out. I don't think they were ever meant to play this much senior footy.

The best laid plans and all that..........

Reply #48
We won't get a PP even if we ask, we did this to ourselves deliberately.

GC are the  opposite, they have a core of experienced players and are losing many of their best young players, yet they are as bad if not worse than us. They'll get a PP for sure which will devalue our later picks.

The system makes it almost impossible to get off the bottom.

This draft also looking to have a lot of top talent from interstate / academies. Can't see that helping us either. Even in the unlikely event of getting pp...
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #49
As has been the past 3. Do you really trust our blokes to get it right? Most of the cr@p traded in over the past 3 years has been a big fail. But wonderful favours to other clubs.

Yes, list shallowness and injuries contribute but the spiritless effort from the start (there have been many this year, actually) suggests bigger problems in other areas.

I've been happy with our recruiting since 2015 but we were coming from miles back due to our abysmal record in the decade prior.
There's no point dwelling on it, but how Hughes lasted 10 years at the club is totally mystifying.
There's plenty to like about our current crop of young players but they need time and the AFL is a very unforgiving environment.
Some of them will fall away but the strong will survive.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #50
Yep...we looked really slow, no run from the backline and Whitfield really carved us up breaking the lines....that kid can really play and his disposal on the run is some of the best I have seen.

Their field kicking was as good as I've seen from anyone this season but we didn't apply much pressure so it was a bit of a training run.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #51
I've been happy with our recruiting since 2015 but we were coming from miles back due to our abysmal record in the decade prior.
There's no point dwelling on it, but how Hughes lasted 10 years at the club is totally mystifying.
There's plenty to like about our current crop of young players but they need time and the AFL is a very unforgiving environment.

When the chequebook is your main weapon in building a team, you don't need a recruiter, and you don't need player development either. Just buy what you need, and pay them overs, or in our case, overs and under..........the table.

Reply #52
From what I witnessed today we must be so far off the pace it will take us 10 drafts to catch up and Cripps will be well-retired or in a bl00dy wheelchair! We were literally reduced to witches hats by the end. A few drinks for me tonight methinks! >:(

Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #53
I agree with this. Problem is, we are now so far behind, and with free agency rules the way they stand it will be near impossible to get back to being competitive. Major list turnover required again

Reply #54
Crisis time .... yet again.  The club needs to change its position re the PP and as forcefully as they can

The AFL have given us nothing

Reply #55
Yep...we looked really slow, no run from the backline and Whitfield really carved us up breaking the lines....that kid can really play and his disposal on the run is some of the best I have seen.
Agree on Whitfield, Kelly was the standout today for mine, it was a pleasure to watch, his running power and disposal was head and shoulders above everyone on the ground. BB said in his presser (respectfully to other top teams) their midfield running power is the best he has seen all season. And they didnt have Shiel out there who is another running machine.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #56
We need the PP, but we need a hell of a lot more than just that

Reply #57
Agree on Whitfield, Kelly was the standout today for mine, it was a pleasure to watch, his running power and disposal was head and shoulders above everyone on the ground. BB said in his presser (respectfully to other top teams) their midfield running power is the best he has seen all season. And they didnt have Shiel out there who is another running machine.

Yes, I know they have plenty of talent, but I find them to be a very pure, very nuanced football team. Not that Richmond "frenetic midgets on speed" crap.

Reply #58
As doom and gloom as it all is - Harry McKay looks the real deal. Polson was awesome in those few flashes and Dow is going to be a serious player.

Polson looks like he should clearly be still playing VFL as he's not ready but those bits of class and courage running back with the flight show you there is potential there.

Harry - sensational. He is going to monster some opposition over the next 10 years. Could he end up being better than Charlie? That thought hadn't even occurred to me until today but that was a massive step forward today under severe duress.

Dow stepping around, in and out of trouble. He doesn't have the extreme sideways immediate burst speed of Judd but he's got some similar traits.

There's something to go with the truckload of negatives from today.

Having said that I will storm Carlton HQ if we don't ask for a PP.

Reply #59
Yes, I know they have plenty of talent, but I find them to be a very pure, very nuanced football team. Not that Richmond "frenetic midgets on speed" crap.
GWS play with precision player placement and disposal. Richmond move the ball forward at all costs and place immense pressure.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time