Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 20: Post Game Calm & Civilized Discussion: Carlton vs GWS (Read 26328 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 20: Post Game Calm & Civilized Discussion: Carlton vs GWS

Reply #75
The club admin should make sure all the players are sacked, then sack themselves and then, and then, the board should go as well.  And then, with what's left, they should hire some new people and then sack them and... :-X

Pleasing to see measured responses on the board.  We have been hammered by injury and have a list that is bottoming out.  GWS meanwhile have depth and have played in prelims the past two years and should make the GF.  They are peaking and the pounding we got is the sign of a team on a mission.  If they get to a GF against Richmond, it will be a great clash of contrasting styles.  I would back GWS - precision kicking trumps mad pressure.

Good to see McKay, SPS, Dow play well.  They are the future, and lots to look forward to.  Curnow and McKay could be the dominant forward duo in a couple of years - akin to Franklin-Roughhead at their peak.

Reply #76
The club admin should make sure all the players are sacked, then sack themselves and then, and then, the board should go as well.  And then, with what's left, they should hire some new people and then sack them and... :-X

Pleasing to see measured responses on the board.  We have been hammered by injury and have a list that is bottoming out.  GWS meanwhile have depth and have played in prelims the past two years and should make the GF.  They are peaking and the pounding we got is the sign of a team on a mission.  If they get to a GF against Richmond, it will be a great clash of contrasting styles.  I would back GWS - precision kicking trumps mad pressure.

Good to see McKay, SPS, Dow play well.  They are the future, and lots to look forward to.  Curnow and McKay could be the dominant forward duo in a couple of years - akin to Franklin-Roughhead at their peak.

Nice post Viv.

Reply #77
GWS will be tested by the Richmond physical pressure........the men in orange are highly skilled, great athletes but lack a bit of mongrel......they played the little Carlton auskickers today and got some bruise free footy, that wont happen in the finals.

Reply #78
It was weird today.  16,697 at Etihad is small.  However, as bad as Carlton were, it didn't seem as bad as it was.  GWS were excellent and played some great footy.  What we've been complaining about this year, GWS did the opposite.  Hit targets, played to the team's advantage, didn't handball/kick/run straight into us and were clean.

They had players where the ball was going and didn't have to kick and hope very often.  When we had a lot of time and space, we would find a way to handball it to our teammates feet, or land it short.  They had players at the back of a scrum who just managed to take possession and use it.  We had players outside of the scrum and fumbled, so we would lose possession.  (This is our run of the mill skill set)

I almost feel for O'Shea.  He is the opposite of King Midas.

It was interesting that I noticed for the first time that the players on the interchange bench is shown on the screen above the bench.  It seemed that Kennedy, Graham, Thomas, Byrne and Polson had the most time off the ground.

Games played from our 'players of the future' who were out there today + a couple that have been in the system a little longer, but not played much (eg Lamb, Lang)
Dow 17
O'Brien 14
SPS 38
Kennedy 30
Cripps 78
McKay 12
Lamb 62
Lang 51
Marchbank 31
Polson 9
Charlie 43
Pickett 15
Byrne 18

The most experienced player of the future is Cripps with 78, and 8 of those 13 have played the equivalent of 2 full seasons - but we expect them to be like Cripps.  If 50 games is getting it together as a player, then we still have a way to go.

The players, who aren't our future - some will/will not be at the club next year
Murphy
Simpson
Rowe
O'Shea
Lobbe
Graham
E Curnow
Thomas
Wright (does he have a groin issue - his kicking is not nearly what it was)

Reply #79

The Ferrari v the tricycle waiting for new pedals to arrive in the post ????
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #81
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-08-05/full-postmatch-blues

Well worth a look this week IMO.
I watched that earlier today, it was interesting to hear about not putting players behind the ball and letting our mids (young and old) get schooled by the Orange running machines. After today, if they didn't know it already, our blokes will go into the PS knowing exactly what level of fitness it will take to play footy vs the best in 2019.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #82
I watched that earlier today, it was interesting to hear about not putting players behind the ball and letting our mids (young and old) get schooled by the Orange running machines. After today, if they didn't know it already, our blokes will go into the PS knowing exactly what level of fitness it will take to play footy vs the best in 2019.

Yes agree. I think it should give pause for thought when he gets criticised for match day tactics. If you want to get your kids to perform to a particular level, you don't set easier tests - you get them to practice and practice at the required level until they learn. It's as ugly as sin to watch, but here's hoping it will hold them in good stead.

I think this is also part of the reason why he refuses to use more than 1 tagger. He could end up being a failure, but there is method in his approach.

Reply #83
I also thought it was a tell when he separated the first 21 players from the 22-28 group, implying a huge gap and lack of depth. He's not usually that direct. Reckon he might have a few choice words in SOS' ear about the cheapies making up the numbers.

Reply #84
I also thought it was a tell when he separated the first 21 players from the 22-28 group, implying a huge gap and lack of depth. He's not usually that direct. Reckon he might have a few choice words in SOS' ear about the cheapies making up the numbers.
I can’t be bothered watching it but am curious by what you mean he separated 21 players from 22-28?

Reply #85

What else can we do other than look around for cheap players?
We go to the draft and then try and trade in the best we can get but players like Dangerfield, Franklin and Treloar don't want to come to Carlton so we're left with the dregs.
It won't change until we start winning.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #86
Haven't read the whole thread yet, but my one and only comment on the game...

Us: we were 2/3 roatations down for a lot of the game, so we were beaten by 10 goals
Giants: We were down to NO rotations at the halfway mark of the 3rd quarter, and at times in the final quarter we were down to 16 on the park, so wew were reasonably happy to win the final quarter by 6 goals and the match by 18 goals

How the fecking feck do we lose the final quarter by 6 goals when they were literally down to 16 players at times?
That's not good enough.
At what point can we lose faith?

Reply #87
I can’t be bothered watching it but am curious by what you mean he separated 21 players from 22-28?

What he means is that there is a huge gap between our best 21 or 22 and the next 6 or 7 players (i.e the depth players). He talked about GWS's phenomenal running power in the midfield, and was asked something about whether we would be / needed to address that.

Reply #88
Yes agree. I think it should give pause for thought when he gets criticised for match day tactics. If you want to get your kids to perform to a particular level, you don't set easier tests - you get them to practice and practice at the required level until they learn. It's as ugly as sin to watch, but here's hoping it will hold them in good stead.

I think this is also part of the reason why he refuses to use more than 1 tagger. He could end up being a failure, but there is method in his approach.

As long as we don't kill MORE players, mentally and physically, than what we already have.
These guys need confidence as much as they need anything else. Letting them get drilled by 16 players, by 18 goals is not good for them in any sense.

Reply #89
What else can we do other than look around for cheap players?
We go to the draft and then try and trade in the best we can get but players like Dangerfield, Franklin and Treloar don't want to come to Carlton so we're left with the dregs.
It won't change until we start winning.

I get that. But I think there is a sweet spot between the Treloars of this world and the Mullets, and I'm just wondering if we can become better at identifying them ?