Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 20: Post Game Calm & Civilized Discussion: Carlton vs GWS (Read 26361 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 20: Post Game Calm & Civilized Discussion: Carlton vs GWS

Reply #120
I walked away in awe of GWS yesterday. The running power and structured ball movement was breath taking at times.
Its a real shame they don't play in front of a good crowd every week. I really hope they win it.

Lots of us have said, long term relative to us and our rebuild GWS are the real enemy.

GWS are the list that is most likely to dominate the next decade.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #121

Totally agree with your post.  Absolutely no justification for Bolton to hold his job as senior coach of the Carlton Football Club after that.

Reply #122
No spin please. It is AFL after all, not an under 16 competition. They beat us 7 goals to 1 with 16 on the ground in the last qtr. Men v boys doesn't cut it. We had enough senior experience out there still to prevent that bit at least. You accept that then you'd accept anything., It's been poor coaching, pure and simple. We have drafted very well and they will be guns but it's useless without a decent coach to get the best out of them as a unit. How can you not take advantage of that situation? Out structures that poor?

That' right Laj, you are totally correct!  It's all spin.  We are terrible and the appointment of Bolton is ridiculous.  Barker too.  Lugidice can not see it.  I can.

Reply #123
once again i hope our recruiters watch that game and relise wat our list needs and our coaching dept look and learn wat a modern game plan looks like.

Reply #124
I walked away in awe of GWS yesterday. The running power and structured ball movement was breath taking at times.
Its a real shame they don't play in front of a good crowd every week. I really hope they win it.

It was eerily quiet so you could hear the players yelling and umpires clearly most of the afternoon.

My 7 year old went home and re watched the Gold Coast replay to make him feel better.

I have no answers and wasnt aware of the 16 GWS players only on the ground but it didnt matter because our players just didnt man up.
Unfortunately our Captain is normally the number one culprit so at the very least a change in leadership is paramount.

We played like everyone just wants the season to end.

Yes, GWS was too big, too fast, too strong and too well drilled.  I was concerned at the start of the game when Murphy lined up on Lobb ????

I don’t think I realised just how good GWS is, and how good they could become.  Richmond aren’t quite the premiership favourites I thought.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #125
I know that EB1, I was talking about GWS being full of guns.  They have the most draft picks in the top tier hitting their straps together, whilst we are just a team of kids.

Lachie O Brien has played more games than he should have this season, and yesterday showed why.  He had almost zero idea how to beat his opponent (Tomlinson) who even if they were similar games experienced and seasoned (they are 5 years apart at minimum) and he is giving away a whole foot, and probably about 20kgs to go with it.  Instead of changing that matchup (lets face it, O Brien didnt have another one anyway) he let him get an education.

As for the last quarter, we have played one poor one in every game this year, I don't see the point in singling out a quarter where we could barely get our hands on the footy even if the opposition was playing a man down.  It just made the numbers even, but we are that out manned at the moment, I don't see the point of even looking at it.  Its embarrassing and it hurts, but it isnt a coaching problem, when half your side can't compete with a side sitting in the top 4.  Thats a personnell issue.

Apologies Thry if I misread your comments....agree on your Obrien thoughts, I didnt even comment on him because that matchup was so heavily weighted to the GWS player, that wasnt a learning experience that was fighting out of your division.....interesting how GWS and Richmond(McIntosh) have reverted to the old fashioned tall winger.
Last quarter I agree....more the lack of effort from our players than Boltons coaching, we didnt have the equipment to compete and Cameron on the other hand had exactly what he needed to bury us with Ward on Cripps and Kelly all over our best tagger in Ed Curnow, wasnt much Bolton could do but ask for effort......

Reply #126
Apologies Thry if I misread your comments....agree on your Obrien thoughts, I didnt even comment on him because that matchup was so heavily weighted to the GWS player, that wasnt a learning experience that was fighting out of your division.....interesting how GWS and Richmond(McIntosh) have reverted to the old fashioned tall winger.
Last quarter I agree....more the lack of effort from our players than Boltons coaching, we didnt have the equipment to compete and Cameron on the other hand had exactly what he needed to bury us with Ward on Cripps and Kelly all over our best tagger in Ed Curnow, wasnt much Bolton could do but ask for effort......

The lack of effort is unfortunately coaching too. This is happening so often you wonder if he has the players. Either way he can't hang around otherwise we'll just continue to see a lack of effort as we did under Pagan and Malthouse.

16 v 18, no excuse if you can't take advantage of that.

Reply #127
Q. How many Cam O'Shea's does it take to change a light bulb ?

A. One Josh Kelly.

Reply #128
The lack of effort is unfortunately coaching too. This is happening so often you wonder if he has the players. Either way he can't hang around otherwise we'll just continue to see a lack of effort as we did under Pagan and Malthouse.

16 v 18, no excuse if you can't take advantage of that.

So Jim..when would you start Blake Caracella? :)

Reply #129
So Jim..when would you start Blake Caracella? :)

Soon as the season ends.

Also wouldn't mind seeing Ratts work with SOS too rather than that dud Wayne Hughes, which hamstrung him.

Yesterday was either one of a poorly drilled football side or a lack of effort yet again for the umpteenth time. Both are indictments on the coaching. I'd say yesterday was both suggesting to me that we are wasting our time if Bolts is our coach next year.

Reply #130

We've blokes like Marchbank, Macreadie and Schumacher who should slip into that role in coming seasons. I suppose we'd hoped someone like Byrne would put his hand up for a gig but it's never happened. I have no idea why we aren't running Marchbank on the wing, or why we never gave Jones a crack while he was available! We tried poor SoJ there and they run him into the ground! It's like we are punishing ourselves so that we get better, it's all a bit too much Naughty Boy Self-flagellation for my liking!

That's about the sum of it, really it was mostly men versus boys, with the only men we had out there pretty much unable to keep up!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #131
Assuming Weitering doesn't come up.

Play Kerr or De Konig from the square as a stay at home target to keep the defence honest and keep at least one defender deep.   Play a small at his feet to keep the FB nervous about spoiling.   Run Harry and Chuck higher up the ground, run their tall backs around and blow them up.    Schumacher and MacCreadie  wing/HB.  Maybe even Pickett in that role.

There's more run already.   Bugger o'shea off (5 disposals,  all clangers)  and we might even get the odd ball from defence without it coming back faster than it came out.

Give OBrien a week off.   Looks buggered and hence  ineffective. Tell Lang to get serious inside and replace Graham, who played the "is he even playing? " role on Sunday

That's three replacements already.

Somebody needs to clamp down on Neale and we can't let their half backs and running defenders have a party.. Polson,  Garlett, Wright should aim for a minimum of 6 stuck tackles each

Finally,  Play with some bloody intent.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #132
Being at the game it did not seem like there was that much in it for the second and third quarters. 

We then capitulated in the fourth which is just understandable considering where we are, the inexperience on the field and fact many aren’t up to running out a season yet anyway and...

Reply #133
Bonar, in his first game,  had no trouble impacting and running out the game, but our kids like O'Brien didn't.   Either our kids are crap (a theory)  or the season has caught up with them and they're stuffed.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #134

We played like everyone just wants the season to end.

Good pick up. Those of us watching here on the teev yesterday thought the same thing... from the very get go, and we just shook our heads.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17