Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game -Port v Blues R2 (Sat, March 30, 5.10pm) (Read 23898 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 2 - Port v Blues (Sat, March 30, 5.10pm)

Reply #60
If we're serious about winning we need a bazillion more pressure acts in the front half.... Fasolo and Gibbons should be on notice.   No pressure... No senior place.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #61
Maybe.. but hard to drop Fasalo after just one game IMO...

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Shouldn't have been picked last week.
Shouldn't be picked this week, based on last week.

Reply #62
Charlie had a shocker but I doubt he's ready for a stint in the twos just yet.
Hmmm, not so sure. His JLT form was very ordinary and he carried it into the season proper. He is still young and relatively inexperienced, we would drop anyone else to the 2's if they had that form. He'd wanna put in a good one this week or else its Hello NB's IMO. Charlie should not be immune to criticism and has to have the same rules as everyone else applied with respect to poor form (ie needs to earn every game). Its all about being ruthless, if we have 6-7 passengers again this week, we will get pantsed no matter how crapola we think Port are.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #63
Two wrongs don't make a right.

Shouldn't have been picked last week.
Shouldn't be picked this week, based on last week.

Agree he shouldnt have been picked last week but thats down to Bolton and the selectors ..not Fasalo..

Who is knocking down the door to get in the team to play Fasalo's small forward position?........two wrongs would be picking a out of form player
to replace a unfit Fasalo wouldnt it?

Reply #64
3 tall forwards plus Fasolo is a whack forward setup. Play 3 talls plus 3 midgets who will chase and harass for 4 quarters (or as close as we can get). On the other hand, I'd rather find out what Fasolo can offer early in the season, and then play him the magoos if it doesn't work.

Fasolo is a goal kicker, so we can't accuse Bolton of trying to throw the game.

Reply #65
Agree he shouldnt have been picked last week but thats down to Bolton and the selectors ..not Fasalo..

Who is knocking down the door to get in the team to play Fasalo's small forward position?........two wrongs would be picking a out of form player
to replace a unfit Fasalo wouldnt it?

Yes it was on Bolton and co on selecting him. And its on Bolton and co to NOT select him this week.

By all reports Jack dominated the 2's in the lead up. Would put us behind on pace, but not on effort. He could switch into the midfield and we could allow a mid to go forward, SPS, Walsh, whoever.

Polson is the one i'd pick, hard to get a form line on him, because he plays to instructions and we're not privvy to them.

Reply #66
Either Jack or Polson would be an upgrade on what Fasolo dished up last week. He needs game time in the NBs to get his fitness up to AFL standard

Reply #67
Clurey 193cm
Jonas 187cm
Burton 191cm
Bonner 190cm
Houston 187cm
Byrne Jones 180cm

I'd be playing Charlie down forward along with Harry and take advantage of the height difference......reckon Port would love seeing Charlie on the wing and away from the goals.
Ports backline is all about rebound and mobility, they want the ball on the deck and not in the air.
Charlie has to lift his game and not be given a easy out by playing on a wing IMO...both he and Harry should dominate their smaller opponents if we give them half decent service.
If he doesnt perform this week its back to the NB's and Kerr can take his place, same with Fasalo, he will have a taller player on him most likely so will need to move around
and work harder.....
No excuses for our forwards this week if the supply is ok......its a inexperienced undersized, no name Port backline that should not present the problems that the taller and more experienced Tiger defense did.

I agree entirely.  Charlie is supposed to be the next big thing in the key forward stakes and that is entirely reasonable based on his form last year.  However, Astbury got hold of him last game - and he's not the only forward to be shut down by Astbury - and it would be folly to try to turn him into a wingman on the basis of being beaten in one game.  For a start it would do wonders for his confidence ... not!

With Astbury having his hands full with Charlie and Rance off the ground, McGovern and Harry should have had an easier time.  Harry was OK but McGovern looked rusty, apart from his brief stint in defence.  I expect a better performance from the Gov this week.

Fasolo looked underdone and it was probably a mistake to play him.  We can't afford to have a bloke in the 22 who doesn't get double figure disposals, unless he is shutting down an opponent or slotting goals with every kick.  I would play Polson, or perhaps SOJ, in preference to Fasolo on the basis of Thursday's effort.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #68
Yes it was on Bolton and co on selecting him. And its on Bolton and co to NOT select him this week.

By all reports Jack dominated the 2's in the lead up. Would put us behind on pace, but not on effort. He could switch into the midfield and we could allow a mid to go forward, SPS, Walsh, whoever.

Polson is the one i'd pick, hard to get a form line on him, because he plays to instructions and we're not privvy to them.

Jack would make us very slow if he did play forward, take your point you could play SPS forward or another mid(not Ed)...maybe Garlett plays forward(Obrien in to play back?)...Pickett would have been a more obvious replacement but alas is where he usually is and thats injured.

Polson?....if he is playing to instructions not to get the footy then he should win the B&F in a canter....IMO his only role is as a lock down tagger as he doesnt offer much else apart from turn over value and Port murdered
the Dee's on turnovers. Maybe he could play one of Ports newbie kids like Butters.....

Reply #69
Jack would make us very slow if he did play forward, take your point you could play SPS forward or another mid(not Ed)...maybe Garlett plays forward(Obrien in to play back?)...Pickett would have been a more obvious replacement but alas is where he usually is and thats injured.

Polson?....if he is playing to instructions not to get the footy then he should win the B&F in a canter....IMO his only role is as a lock down tagger as he doesnt offer much else apart from turn over value and Port murdered
the Dee's on turnovers. Maybe he could play one of Ports newbie kids like Butters.....

Fasolo managed a grand total of 5 touches on Thursday night and 1 goal. He is almost 27yo and has played just over 100 games.
Polson managed 15 touches AND 2 goals 1 in his last match (R23 last year) against Adelaide. Has just turned 21 and has played 13 games.

Obviously, Polson plays defense too. 7 tackles in that last game mentioned above....as opposed to fasolos 1 tackle.

Reply #70
We don't have players who do tackling / pressure acts like Poppy, Cyril and Breust, but we need better than Fasolo. Ideally players with pace endurance, and who can stick a tackle. The closest in my view are :

Pickett (as per Elwood, engaged in an enduring love affair with our rehab department )
Polson
Cuningham
Fisher (can tackle and has pace)
Garlett (pacy but not too keen on tackling)
Walsh
Lang (described as a a HHF on the CFC website, but also injured)
SPS
Murphy (would be ideal, but doesn’t tackle much.)

We need to do something about locking the ball in F50 - those F50 entries are precious and a lot of work goes into getting the ball down there. A similar amount of work is needed keeping it there.

Reply #71
It has been highlighted that the sides that won in round 1 brought significant forward half pressure.

Pretty easy really, if Fasolo et al don't, can't or won't do it this week... bye bye.

I'm more than a tad bemused why we persist with the Ed C up forward schtick...  time for Murphy to play as a semi permanent forward (he DOES have the smarts to play up forward and can kick goals), he also seems to have a lot of rushed possessions these days, a sign that his best midfield days are behind him.

Ed C can go back to his customary on ball or wing role - can contribute in a much more positive manner that way.  I'm ok with flexible thinking from the MC, but not bloodyminded persisting with a  failed experiment or finding a role to keep a bloke in the side.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #72
Curnow and Fasolo must perform ... otherwise the NBs until they do

Reply #74
It has been highlighted that the sides that won in round 1 brought significant forward half pressure.

Pretty easy really, if Fasolo et al don't, can't or won't do it this week... bye bye.

I'm more than a tad bemused why we persist with the Ed C up forward schtick...  time for Murphy to play as a semi permanent forward (he DOES have the smarts to play up forward and can kick goals), he also seems to have a lot of rushed possessions these days, a sign that his best midfield days are behind him.

Ed C can go back to his customary on ball or wing role - can contribute in a much more positive manner that way.  I'm ok with flexible thinking from the MC, but not bloodyminded persisting with a  failed experiment or finding a role to keep a bloke in the side.
Agree with all this, Ive said it many times, Murph has good fwd line craft and can draw a free kick. Agree also Ed on a wing/stopping role.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time