Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game -Port v Blues R2 (Sat, March 30, 5.10pm) (Read 23890 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 2 - Port v Blues (Sat, March 30, 5.10pm)

Reply #90
Gibbons had played one game vs one of the better teams in the comp who we struggle against....he is a pure midfielder being forced to played as a small pressure forward for the first time in a new forward line that is being reconstructed.
McGovern was no star and either was Charlie Curnow.....Gibbons would be on minimal money as a rookie yet he is the fall guy along with Fasalo who had had no decent preseason at all and was a dumb selection.

Gibbons is an accessory player at best who is costing the club peanuts.......McGovern and Charlie Curnow are the ones that need to deliver and who should have the heat on them IMO because they are being paid the big money to win matches.

Gibbons/Polson/Garlett/Jack....no matter who your choice is this week are we really expecting them to be the difference?

Loaded question, but yes.

The difference between our opposition waltzing out of our forwardline, and being made to be accountable.

Polson and Jack leading the way in that respect, and Gibbons and Fasolo should be earning their stripes.  Wouldn't it be better to lose with an eye to the future rather than an eye to the present?? 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #91
I'd give Gibbons some more games to get up to AFL pace, I only watched on tv but i saw him do some good things on Thursday night, seems to have a good footy brain and works hard to apply pressure. Fasolo on the other hand looked lazy and selfish, which co-incidentally is what he looked like every time I saw him play for the Filth

Reply #92
Loaded question, but yes.

The difference between our opposition waltzing out of our forwardline, and being made to be accountable.

Polson and Jack leading the way in that respect, and Gibbons and Fasolo should be earning their stripes.  Wouldn't it be better to lose with an eye to the future rather than an eye to the present??

I'm trying to win games if I'm coaching.......re: Fasalo.. we knew what we were buying, he doesnt provide forward 50 pressure but he can kick multiple goals, he can take a strong mark for his inches and snap a goal...thats what you get.
Gibbons is a midfielder.....his forte is getting the ball and being creative with it, yes he can tackle and provide pressure but his CV at VFL level has been about playing onball as a midfielder..

Its like recruiting an Electrician and a Plasterer and then telling them they will be working as a Plumber but dont worry mate you know tools so it will be easy to retrain you ...why do we always try and change players roles and never recruit the real deal?

Polson will provide forward pressure/tackling but cant get the ball and a quarter of his few possies are clangars........

I like Jack but he isnt a small forward and has lost his place to McGovern in that 3rd tall role at the minute......would make our forward line very slow with 4 x taller types...

Pickett and/or Garlett should be playing the role or even Lebois but for various reasons are not available or not up to it.........

Reply #93
I think Fasolo makes our forward line look very slow with the 4x taller types. Has reasonable acceleration and pace if it looks like he's going to get on the end of the play and get a shot on goal, but looks sluggish when the opposition have the ball

Reply #94
I saw more than one occasion where Gibbons scrapped pretty hard to trap the ball in - one example where he was outnumbered and forced a stoppage. Im prepared to give him time, he has the right mindset.   Fasolo needs a decent game or is off to Cramer Street,  he has no credits in the bank.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #95
I don't know how good Gibbons is, but he is a real terrier and has the right, i.e, never give up, attitude. Decent pace as well.

Reply #96
I don't think we got Fas for his forward pressure but rather his ability to get on the end of forward play and hit the scoreboard; a good finisher.

I reckon we'll see Garlett up forward once Willilamson or Marchbank return.

Really liked Gibbo's attack on the aggott and there were some impressive 1%ers as EB1 pointed out. He, like Fas, should get better with more games.

Polson is a chance to get a call-up this week as Port showed how quick they are, maybe comes in for Ed.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #97
I have only seen highlights but Port set out to bully Gawn and were successful in limiting his influence.

Who will they target this week and how will we counter their questionable tactics.  Gawn’s teammates left him like a shag on rock in what was a weak effort and poor coaching.

The other question is how will Phillips and McKay deal with Ryder and Lycett?  Should we play Lobbe (assuming Kreuzer isn’t ready)?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #98
I have only seen highlights but Port set out to bully Gawn and were successful in limiting his influence.

Who will they target this week and how will we counter their questionable tactics.  Gawn’s teammates left him like a shag on rock in what was a weak effort and poor coaching.

The other question is how will Phillips and McKay deal with Ryder and Lycett?  Should we play Lobbe (assuming Kreuzer isn’t ready)?

re Gawn,
Everyone is raving about these tactics and how they won the game off them. Maybe.

However, Eddie and co told us this morning that Gawn actually spent some time in hospital last week having a boil removed(? or whatever they do to them) and had to be put under a general anesthetic for it. So yes, he looked sluggish and took a lot of crap without firing back a whole lot, but thats because he probably shouldn't have been playing due to his far from ideal lead up.

Reply #99
I'm trying to win games if I'm coaching.......re: Fasalo.. we knew what we were buying, he doesnt provide forward 50 pressure but he can kick multiple goals, he can take a strong mark for his inches and snap a goal...thats what you get.
Gibbons is a midfielder.....his forte is getting the ball and being creative with it, yes he can tackle and provide pressure but his CV at VFL level has been about playing onball as a midfielder..

Its like recruiting an Electrician and a Plasterer and then telling them they will be working as a Plumber but dont worry mate you know tools so it will be easy to retrain you ...why do we always try and change players roles and never recruit the real deal?

Polson will provide forward pressure/tackling but cant get the ball and a quarter of his few possies are clangars........

I like Jack but he isnt a small forward and has lost his place to McGovern in that 3rd tall role at the minute......would make our forward line very slow with 4 x taller types...

Pickett and/or Garlett should be playing the role or even Lebois but for various reasons are not available or not up to it.........

Is Lebois injured? Did he play in the recent VFL hit out?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #100
I cannot believe that some are calling for Ed Curnow to be dropped, but giving Fasolo another game. I know stats aren't everything, but seriously: Curnow 25 disposals, 12 marks, 3 tackles, 113 ranking points (2nd behind Newman); Fasolo 5 disposals, 2 marks, 1 tackle, 28 ranking points. In terms of form, they are not in the same ballpark, probably not even in the same State

Reply #101
re Gawn,
Everyone is raving about these tactics and how they won the game off them. Maybe.

However, Eddie and co told us this morning that Gawn actually spent some time in hospital last week having a boil removed(? or whatever they do to them) and had to be put under a general anesthetic for it. So yes, he looked sluggish and took a lot of crap without firing back a whole lot, but thats because he probably shouldn't have been playing due to his far from ideal lead up.

Somehow I’d believe Gawn’s version of events before Eddie’s interpretation. 

Virtually every Port player had a crack at him, even the first gamers, and Gawn and his teammates didn’t fire back.  It reminded me a bit of how our players used to turn a blind eye when Murph was targeted.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #102
..............Virtually every Port player had a crack at him, even the first gamers, and Gawn and his teammates didn’t fire back............

Gutless, low brow behaviour that also makes the game ugly as sin. Should be banned.

Reply #103
X2. 

Tough is going the ball,  not that crap.   A big thank you to the umpires for not stamping it out.   Pay a free, or frees, and DEAL WITH IT, don't pretend it isn't happening.

(the following is not directed at you Paul).   Makes me laugh how many hypocrites there are in our society and the AFL,  the loudest opponents to certain behaviours and actions haven't always been the paradigms of virtue they cultivate today.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #104
I cannot believe that some are calling for Ed Curnow to be dropped, but giving Fasolo another game. I know stats aren't everything, but seriously: Curnow 25 disposals, 12 marks, 3 tackles, 113 ranking points (2nd behind Newman); Fasolo 5 disposals, 2 marks, 1 tackle, 28 ranking points. In terms of form, they are not in the same ballpark, probably not even in the same State

Few left on our list butcher the ball like Ed.

It appears the powers that be think Ed is surplus to midfield requirements - hence why they're playing him as a defensive forward (to find a spot for him).

Bad idea on both fronts - Ed is still our only decent tagger and (seemingly) pretty ordinary as a forward. Matty wright he is not.

So, either he's plays his traditional role or out of the team he goes?
Finals, then 4 in a row!