Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 7: Carlton vs. North Melbourne (Read 27223 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 7: Carlton vs. North Melbourne

Reply #60
Gibbs & Murphy have been picking and choosing when to play for 2-3 years after a decade of disappointment and that's a hard habit to break. Pick and choose at a decent side with some depth, you're dropped.

Murphy knows that he can run-by or stick an arm in the contest and there will be no repercussion at the selection table.

Yep, been educated by the best of them.
He will be educating our young blokes too and how will they react when Bolton gets the boot and someone tells them some home truths
Like a farking sick merry go round.
I would not play any of
Murphy, LOB, Casboult, Plowman
We need to change the culture
SPS in a wing.
Kennedy and Setterfield must play, so we can mix up the midfield instead of doing the same thing every week

Reply #61
The Context my friend is that his colleague is lying unconscious on the ground, while 10’s of thousand of people at the ground and on national tv are watching in stunned belief and dread and he does not have have the emotional intelligence to understand something serious is happening. Hearing a fart is not a get out of jail card. I know it was only an example mate, but he’s a grown man, not a 12 year old and he is also in our Leadership group. He has to own that moment and be taken aside and told that that is not a time to laugh but a time to lead.
You don't know the context unless you're a mind reader. You catch one glimpse, can't tell anything from that.

Reply #62
My anger isn't so much with the coach...it's more directed at those that thought this rebuild path was the way to go.
Oh, eventually we'll come good, we'll make the finals. 
We may even go further.
But with the way the competition is structured that would have happened anyway....and possibly sooner.
So when we do eventually come out the other side don't bother to tell me this was all worth it.

At the moment we are devoid of depth.
We are super dependent on just a few players
A couple of key injuries or some good coverage on our main movers by the opposition and we're shot units
Some of our younger players look like they need a week off but with a mounting injury toll we won't be able to afford that luxury

I saw some vision of Stocker late in the game when he was standing the mark and the kid basically looked like "WTF have I gotten myself into"

Reply #63
You don't know the context unless you're a mind reader. You catch one glimpse, can't tell anything from that.

It wasn't a good look but I'm prepared to give Plowman the benefit of the doubt.  I wasn't sure if it was a grimace or a giggle from watching the tv.  Some people use humour to defuse or cope with serious situations.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #64

You are talking about the second before he laughed. I get that.

I’m talking about a pivotal moment that should have overridden any desire to laugh at that moment in time. You’re getting smashed and humiliated by the bottom placed team in the Comp and a team mate is lying unconscious on the floor. And you’re a member of the Leadership Group. What he should have been doing is talking to his Captain for instructions or maybe taking his defensive group to the side to think of how we cover for our best defender leaving the ground.
Keep the Faith

Reply #65
Yep, been educated by the best of them.
He will be educating our young blokes too and how will they react when Bolton gets the boot and someone tells them some home truths
Like a farking sick merry go round.
I would not play any of
Murphy, LOB, Casboult, Plowman
We need to change the culture
SPS in a wing.
Kennedy and Setterfield must play, so we can mix up the midfield instead of doing the same thing every week

Cant argue with that, Cripps cant do the heavy lifting every quarter, every game and we need a horses for courses approach.
I'm done with Levi and both Plowman and Marchbank would be in my crosshairs too , SPS is a skilfull player and on a wing today was probably a better position with Kennedy and Setterfield
helping Cripps out in the middle.
I'd also be aiming at the coaches box and at John Barker.....

Reply #66
You are talking about the second before he laughed. I get that.

I’m talking about a pivotal moment that should have overridden any desire to laugh at that moment in time. You’re getting smashed and humiliated by the bottom placed team in the Comp and a team mate is lying unconscious on the floor. And you’re a member of the Leadership Group. What he should have been doing is talking to his Captain for instructions or maybe taking his defensive group to the side to think of how we cover for our best defender leaving the ground.

You don't know what it was. You weren't in the huddle. You're just guessing.

Reply #67
Cant argue with that, Cripps cant do the heavy lifting every quarter, every game and we need a horses for courses approach.
I'm done with Levi and both Plowman and Marchbank would be in my crosshairs too , SPS is a skilfull player and on a wing today was probably a better position with Kennedy and Setterfield

Alot worse than Levi on the ground today. At least he was getting it. Pity it was 0.3 rather than 3.0. He'll be in until McGovern comes back then will probably get dropped. Reason he's stayed in, and unfortunately meant we've had 4 tall forwards at times, is because he has done pretty well. No case to drop him, although I wouldn't play that many talls and a hard decision should've been made.

Marchbank will be better in a key role with some responsibility. He's probably lost like Weitering was last year. Plowman we can take or leave. We play too many talls and it throws some of them out. We pick the wrong side most weeks.

Reply #68

Yes!!!
Something has to be done to address our midfield set ups, efforts and player development.
If we can’t/won’t drop Bolton then we have to look at Barker, Bruce and Stanton as the architects of our midfield. We can’t expect change to come by doing the same thing.
I never thought I’d say this but right now I’d rather see Goddard working with our midfield. At least he might instill some aggression into our players. Maybe a Goddard-Diesel pairing for the rest of the season.

Reply #69

I agree but I would put a line thru a few others in the coaches box too.
This can’t continue.
We play like we don’t know how to win, and we do not have one premiership player on our coaching panel.
On top of that, the guy in charge never played senior footy.
Might need some tougher characters around the place.

Reply #71
We are also in dire need of some experienced hard nosed and inspirational on field leadership.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #72
Alot worse than Levi on the ground today. At least he was getting it. Pity it was 0.3 rather than 3.0. He'll be in until McGovern comes back then will probably get dropped. Reason he's stayed in, and unfortunately meant we've had 4 tall forwards at times, is because he has done pretty well. No case to drop him, although I wouldn't play that many talls and a hard decision should've been made.

Marchbank will be better in a key role with some responsibility. He's probably lost like Weitering was last year. Plowman we can take or leave. We play too many talls and it throws some of them out. We pick the wrong side most weeks.

I might play Marchbank on a wing, Pies forward line wont suit either Marchbank or Plowman IMO..

Reply #74
I probably shouldn't be writing when I am still so angry, but today's effort leaves a very poor taste in my mouth. We were playing the bottom team who couldn't have defeated roadkill and we lost by 10 goals. We are now 2nd bottom, with only Sydney beneath us. Sydney beat us!  >:(
This was by far our worst performance of the year: we couldn't hit a target to save our lives, we could not get a free for love or money, we could not kick for goal (until the last quarter) and we allowed an ordinary team to run all over us and bash us around. We didn't want the ball enough and couldn't do anything with it when we did get it. We couldn't take a mark: we were thrashed in the air for 3 quarters. We were smashed around the packs. We did not appear to have a Plan B, and Plan A was hard to identify as well.
We were badly out-coached by a guy I do not rate.

I was sitting behind the North Melbourne bench. They were totally relaxed and laughing at our mistakes.
Live Long and Prosper!