Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Prognostications!: AFL 2021 Rd 7: Carlton vs Drug Cheat (Read 11924 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Prognostications!: AFL 2021 Rd 7: Carlton vs Drug Cheat

Reply #150
Some AFL supporters believe Essendon played a soft, outside brand of football under Worsfold.
 Yet I thought last weekend a couple of them tried their best to rough up our kids and it backfired!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #152
Some AFL supporters believe Essendon played a soft, outside brand of football under Worsfold.
I agree with those supporters, the modern Essendon is a team of outside runners IMHO, they tried real hard to get Dunkley for that reason and his leadership skills but essentially Worsfold had them playing a game style that suited their list.
They tried to rough us up a bit but they dont really have the artillery for that like in the old days under Sheedy and both teams would hardly come under the heading of playing a overly physical brand.
I think the high scoring game was a reflection of how both teams like to play and it showed defensive pressure and staying close to your man are not priorities for either club.

Reply #153
I keep hearing that we were 'harder at it', 'more aggressive' , 'played with more grit', 'all in supporting each other when the push and shove started' after Saturday's game, which I totally agree with.

Is it a coincidence  that it was the first week that John Worsfold was in around the place onsite?  Could it be an area that he identified from a distance and he had the opportunity to address the group and or individuals prior to last week's game?? They say Choco Williams has brought a harder edge to Melbourne just by being around and giving some good, old fashioned pumping up and needling to players.

Just a thought.

You know what is more of a coincidence.
Luke Parks.

3 games he's played, we've been hard at it and we've won all 3.

He is yet to play in a loss.

His tackle on Tippa where he buried him and then let him know about it, is everything this club was missing in the first couple of rounds.

Reply #154
Luke Parks.

His tackle on Tippa where he buried him and then let him know about it, is everything this club was missing in the first couple of rounds.

Yep.  It was a very "you've been robbo'd" moment.

Makes everyone walk taller.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #155
Luke Parks.

Personally, I prefer the Schache whack, but point taken.

Reckon Stocker has a similar mindset.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #156
Tippa looked downright shocked somebody from Carlton had the temerity to push back! CheatsFC Board Member and Culture King Sheedy has probably been in the rooms all week telling them how pissweak Carlton is and they believed it!

Our historical problem has been that when an opposition deemed it time for retribution against someone like Parks none of his team-mates would stand by / up for him. I think that is different now, Weitering, McGovern, BigH, Pittonet and a couple of others do not take shizen!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #157
Luke Parks.

Parks seems to have a bit of Andy Mackay about him.  Let's hope the trajectory continues.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #158
So the CheatsFC penalty was drafting three of the list that Ling now says are better than ours! ;)

Everything at CheatsFC going back to the start of the Sheedy era is smoke and mirrors, fans should realise that, because I'd assert in that history is the ultimate source of the crook CheatsFC culture, and guess who's back! :o

Ling... please. About as much credibility as Kane Cornes.

Essendon could have had a better list had they doubled down on the draft instead of chasing the shortcut with Stringer, Smith, Saad and Shiel. Instead they've got a lop-sided list with a few decent mids and a few young key position players who will take another 3 or 4 years to hit their straps by which time most of their mids will be gone / too old.

All of those players wanting out last year forced them into the draft. There is no grand strategy behind it. Which sums them up under Dodo. He doesn't appear to be capable of thinking more than 6 months ahead. Premiership lists are built over 6+ year periods.

Reply #159
Ling is the complete package for me - I just can't stand anything about him. Probably a bit unfair as I've stopped listening to anything he says - just gives me the creeps.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #160
When Ling first started commentating, I thought he was pretty good. It didn't take long for BT to sort him out lol.

Gerard Whateley was the same. When he was used to commentate with Tim Lane on the wireless some years back, he was also pretty good IMO. At some point after that he became screechy and insufferable.

Reply #161
When Ling first started commentating, I thought he was pretty good. It didn't take long for BT to sort him out lol.

Gerard Whateley was the same. When he was used to commentate with Tim Lane on the wireless some years back, he was also pretty good IMO. At some point after that he became screechy and insufferable.

There are times when Ling makes some erudite comments, particularly when he's on the wireless.  Put him on a commentary team with BT and co and he just gets caught up in the boys' club attempts at humour and sensationalism.  To give him his due, he didn't join in with BT's "the Bombers can win this" garbage in the final quarter.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #162
Yes, traded Paddy Ryder to Port for pick 17 and drafted Langford.

Then picked up Laverde (the green) with pick 20, which was allowed under the original sanctions.

Giving up Ryder and Crameri is not exactly cheating the draft penalties. They're both good players. They had to give up something to get those draft picks.

Ryder demanded a trade because of the drug cheating and there was talk at the time of allowing Essendon players to walk.  Ryder is still going around, in a somewhat diminished capacity, and, yes, he is a decent player.  Crameri had a limited career after Essendon and getting pick 26 for him was a gift.

However, my point is that Essendon were permitted to draft players in the early rounds of 2013 and 2014 drafts.  That is, the AFL allowed them to ameliorate their draft penalties.  Meanwhile, we lost picks 1, 2, 31 and 34 in the 2002 national draft, all picks in the 2003 pre-season draft, and our first and second round picks in the 2003 national draft (but we were allowed to draft Andrew Walker).

Anyway you look at, we were penalised more harshly than Essendon for less serious wrongdoing.  The AFL wanted to come down hard on Essendon but they were hampered by their desire to avoid litigation through negotiated penalties.  I suspect that they also realised from our penalties that hamstringing a club's list management isn't good for the competition.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #163
David, I think we should agree to disagree.

Reply #164
Some sense on this subject for a change ... we were bl00dy well crucified by that fat slug.