Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 4 2022 Carlton vs Richmond (Read 2043 times) previous topic - next topic

VFL Rd 4 2022 Carlton vs Richmond

This game is set for Sunday at Ikon Park at 1105.
No mention as to who is playing as yet.

That said, Carroll should be back.

Plow needs to find form and fitness, neither of which he has had this year. He has been struggling for fitness since the pre-season and its is not difficult to tell. A couple of weeks of hard work on the track and the opportunity to make an impression in the 2's is exactly what he needs.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: VFL Rd 4 2022 Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #1
Still no mention of the line-up for this week. Williamson should be back. Jesse Motlop and Oscar Mac should also play.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
Wonder how far away Honey is?

Honey, Dow, McGovern, Motlop and Cunningham all have pace we desperately need at AFL level. I’d love to see 2-3 of those in the side.

Newnes /Cottrell rather than Dow this week is a real head scratcher.

Reply #3
Wonder how far away Honey is?

Honey, Dow, McGovern, Motlop and Cunningham all have pace we desperately need at AFL level. I’d love to see 2-3 of those in the side.

Newnes /Cottrell rather than Dow this week is a real head scratcher.

It seems to me this coaching group has put an emphasis on players that can tackle. If you are weak in this part of the game then you need to bring strengths in other areas. Newnes and Cottrell while not great by foot but still ok run all day and can lay a good tackle. This stops the opposition from slaughtering us on the outside.

Reply #4
Isn't Newnes a bit like lob?  I think he's a better user of the footy in general and a stronger athlete at this stage but they seem to be a bit "sameish" if you ask me.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #5
Isn't Newnes a bit like lob?  I think he's a better user of the footy in general and a stronger athlete at this stage but they seem to be a bit "sameish" if you ask me.
Yes I doubt LoB was dropped, he's had 3 out of 4 pretty good games, unless there are logistical / contract issues around being rookied.

So I assume LoB has got some minor injury they'll keep schtum about.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6

fair enough - although my post wasn't about LOB didn't mention him. as generalising and LOB does fall in this category as does Fisher and Setterfield. Newnes is a pro and can patrol the wings.

Reply #7
Newnes has a battle hardened body and doesn't take short steps. LOB, at least prior to this season, failed those 2 areas by comparison. He has been better this year.

That was the whole reason we traded for Newnes. He'd played 147 games in a row and was almost never injured.

I think Newnes has a bit more footy nous and is better at sticking to a task.

Reply #8
Newnes has a battle hardened body and doesn't take short steps. LOB, at least prior to this season, failed those 2 areas by comparison. He has been better this year.

That was the whole reason we traded for Newnes. He'd played 147 games in a row and was almost never injured.

Newnes kicks the odd handy goal and agree has more nous than a few of our other options. Not a fan of LOB but he has been better and i would have kept him in the team this week and am surprised he was dropped. Voss imo has gone with more contested players this week and must have been disappointed with that area in the last couple of weeks.

Reply #9
It seems to me this coaching group has put an emphasis on players that can tackle. If you are weak in this part of the game then you need to bring strengths in other areas. Newnes and Cottrell while not great by foot but still ok run all day and can lay a good tackle. This stops the opposition from slaughtering us on the outside.

Dow’s tackling is ok and surely has Newnes and Cottrell covered in most areas. Anyway time will tell if there is a last minute change to bring Dow in.

Reply #10
Dow’s tackling is ok and surely has Newnes and Cottrell covered in most areas. Anyway time will tell if there is a last minute change to bring Dow in.

That's fine, but Dow is not a winger. When he comes in he has to be played in a position that will give him the best chance to succeed.

Reply #11
Let me save you guys a lot of trouble.  Following patterns and trends I'm pretty confident that Dow will leave at end of season ala SPS. 

Its not using anything but recent happenings as a yard stick.  We've gone heavy recruiting mids last season and they cover the spread of ages that we drafted through sps dow and lob.  That means some will go.  Lob will stay because he fills more of a need than dow does and dow's limitations of outside run, finishing, disposal are going to be why we cut him loose.  He will be a good player for another team, but more of an also ran than the main event but may jump up later on if he can tidy up his game and add some more strings to his bow.

I like dow, but he is a bit of an inside mid and is a bit wasteful with ball in hand and doesn't quite get it enough to not be anything but clinical.  The fact that he can't crack it for a game now whilst cripps is out is probably the death knell for him in navy.

This isn't solely about ability.  There's a money element to it.  As a former first rounder only way he stays is if he is re rookied because thats the only way his salary doesn't continue on the upward trend and he isn't contributing enough to be a top earner in our team.  Unless he comes in and becomes the star he could be, then we'll move heaven and earth to keep him.

Paul Hewson

Reply #12

Ive seen Newnes pull out of contests.  He isn't a hard man is what im trying to get at.  lob hasn't taken many short steps but he needs to get a bit stronger.

Paul Hewson

Reply #13
Pretty ordinary first qtr from the BlueBaggers. Not much to get enthused about from anyone.

Tiggers: 5.1.31
Blues:    2.0.12

Soldo is taking Mirkov and TDK to the cleaners.
Most of the play was in the Tiggers forward line.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #14
Soldo is taking Mirkov and TDK to the cleaners.
This is why Mirkov wasn't ready for GC, and isn't ready for AFL, Witts would have been even more dominant as he is more mobile than Soldo.

Our blokes are thoroughly intimidated, even TDK isn't making much contact with Soldo.

Motlop showing his inexperience, twice he's burnt team-mates to take on the impossible shot.
The Force Awakens!